How High Does the Dart Travel When the Spring is Compressed Half as Far?

• Thread starter preluderacer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun Spring
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a spring-loaded dart gun to shoot a dart straight up into the air, with the dart reaching a maximum height of 24 meters. The question is posed of how far the dart will go if the spring is compressed only half as far. The solution involves using the formulas for elastic potential energy and gravitational potential energy. It is determined that the dart would only travel 6 meters in this scenario, based on the change in potential energy.
preluderacer

Homework Statement

A spring-loaded dart gun is used to shoot a dart straight up into the air, and the dart reaches a maximum height of 24 meters. The same dart is shot up a second time from the same gun, but this time the spring is compressed only half as far (compared to the first shot). How far up does the dart go this time (neglect friction and assume the spring obeys Hooke's law)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to use 1/2(k)x^2 , but I am not quite sure how to set this problem up.

Physics news on Phys.org
All of your elastic potential energy is going to be transferred to gravitational potential energy; GPE = mgh. Your elastic potential energy, like you mentioned, is going to be 0.5kx^2. Look at the ratios that form; if the spring is compressed only half way, the potential energy is 1/4 of what it was when pulled back fully - which would proportionally change the height.

That makes sense in my head...it's hard to form into words, so I hope that somewhat makes sense!

So it would only travel 6 meters?

What is a spring loaded dart gun?

A spring loaded dart gun is a type of toy gun that uses a spring mechanism to shoot out small darts or projectiles.

How does a spring loaded dart gun work?

The spring inside the gun is compressed when the user pulls back on the trigger. When the trigger is released, the spring rapidly expands, pushing the dart out of the barrel at high speed.

Are spring loaded dart guns safe?

When used properly and under adult supervision, spring loaded dart guns can be safe. However, it is important to always follow the safety instructions and to never aim at people or animals.

What materials are used to make spring loaded dart guns?

Spring loaded dart guns are typically made with plastic for the main body and spring, and foam or rubber for the darts. Some may also have metal components for added durability.

Are there any age restrictions for using a spring loaded dart gun?

Most manufacturers recommend that children under the age of 8 should not use spring loaded dart guns. It is always important to follow the age recommendations and to supervise younger children when they are playing with these toys.