Little help with practice problem for exam. (tension in strings)

In summary: Ok, so the side length is the vector length (m*g*cos(27)) divided by the cosine of the angle. In this case, it's 3.14.
tibu
Hello, I'm new here. Basically I have this practice excercise for my exam.:

A steel ball of mass 4.30 kg is suspended from two strings as shown in the picture. The upper string is at an angle of theta = 27.0° from the vertical, while the lower string is horizontal. Calculate the magnitude of T2, the tension in the lower string.

http://capa.hep.uprm.edu/msuphysicslib/Graphics/Gtype06/prob09_xph183f6pic2.gif

My general problem is that I'm bad with separating forces into components, and I assume this excercise deals with that. Can someone please point me in the right direction to solving this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Always begin these types of problems with a free-body diagram (draw each force vector acting on the object). Remember that since the object is in equilibrium, all the force vectors, when added vectorally, should give zero. Use that and the angle and mass given, and you should be able to solve this.

Ok i believe that in order to get the tension in the horizontal string, I I need to get the horizontal component of the upper string since the lower string doesn't have a vertical component.

But the angle they give me is kinda weird.

I tried setting the tension in the lower string ewual to m*g*cos(27) but that does not give me the correct answer...

In this case, doing trigonometric vector analysis is easier. Use vector addition to create a force-vector triangle, then use trigonometry (should be easy once you have the right triangle).

... :uhh: You lost me on the last one.

Sorry. Have you learned how to do vector addition and analysis? Draw all the vectors for the forces present, then place them tip to tail, and fill in angle and magnitude values, which gives you a right-angle triangle (in this case) with two side lengths and an angle, meaning you can find all the other info.

Ok I did this but what are the side lengths? The angle is the 90deg one right?

1. What is the purpose of finding the tension in strings?

The purpose of finding the tension in strings is to understand how much force is being exerted on the strings in order to keep them taut or stretched. This information is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and music.

2. How is tension in strings measured?

Tension in strings is typically measured using a device called a tension meter or tensiometer. This device applies a known amount of force to the string and measures the amount of stretch or displacement. The resulting measurement is then converted to units of force, such as pounds or newtons.

3. What factors can affect the tension in strings?

The tension in strings can be affected by several factors, including the thickness and material of the strings, the length of the strings, the amount of force applied to the strings, and the environment in which the strings are being used (e.g. temperature, humidity, etc.). In addition, the type of instrument or machinery that the strings are a part of can also impact the tension.

4. How does tension in strings affect sound production?

Tension in strings is a crucial factor in sound production for stringed instruments. The amount of tension affects the pitch, timbre, and volume of the sound produced. Too much or too little tension can result in a string being out of tune or producing a muted sound. This is why musicians often tune their instruments by adjusting the tension in the strings.

5. Can the tension in strings be too high or too low?

Yes, the tension in strings can be too high or too low. If the tension is too high, the strings may break or produce a harsh, unpleasant sound. If the tension is too low, the strings may produce a weak or muted sound and may be difficult to play. It is important to find the optimal tension for each string in order to produce the best sound and performance.