Engineering disciplines after college

In summary, it is possible to use your degree in Nuclear Engineering to pursue a career in the Aerospace industry, with the right experience and education. Graduate school is not always necessary, and internships and networking can help open up career opportunities. While it may be difficult, it is not impossible to pursue a career in Aerospace Engineering with your current degree.
mtblock
Ok, so I'm a sophomore at Penn State, and had entered in as an Aerospace Engineer, which was something that I REALLY wanted to do, and still really do. Unfortunately, I got bit by the lazy bug my first few semesters, and wasn't able to achieve the 3.0 GPA needed to actually enter the aerospace program. (I fully blame myself for this and have since turned my attitude about college completely around.) I am now in Nuclear Engineering. While it sounds cool, and is something that I can enjoy, Aerospace is where my true passion lies. Every time I see a discovery channel show on airplanes, space, or cars, or even with the plane problems I'm doing in my dynamics class, I instantly get pissed at myself. I was on the path to something I really enjoyed, and just let myself waste away my chance. My question is, is there a way to get back on this path. With a degree in Nuclear engineering, can I go to a graduate school for Aerospace? Can I work my way through my first few internships and end up in the aerospace industry? Or am I better off putting my full efforts into Nuclear and try to be the best I can be in that field and keep my aerospace interests as a "hobby"?

PS. I know Mechanical, Chemical, or Electrical would give me better chances to get into Aerospace, but as of right now, they are not really options, whether it be the GPA, or the money needed to go an extra year to catch up.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to use your degree in Nuclear Engineering to pursue a career in the Aerospace industry. There are many jobs in the aerospace industry that require nuclear engineering knowledge, such as radiation safety and nuclear fuels. Additionally, specializations within the nuclear engineering field can be tailored to the aerospace industry. For example, if you wanted to pursue a career in astronautics, you could specialize in nuclear power systems for spacecraft. With the right experience and education, you could also pursue a career in aeronautics, where nuclear engineering could be applied to the development of aircraft propulsion systems. While graduate school may be a good option for you, it is not always necessary in order to pursue a career in the aerospace industry. You may be able to gain experience through internships and volunteer opportunities in the aerospace field, and use these experiences to demonstrate your interest and qualifications for a position in the field. It is also important to network and make connections with people in the industry, since this can help open up career opportunities. In conclusion, while it may be difficult to pursue a career in Aerospace Engineering with your current degree, it is not impossible. With the right experience and education, you can still make your dream of working in the aerospace industry a reality.

1. What are the different types of engineering disciplines available after college?

There are many different types of engineering disciplines, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. Other types include aerospace, environmental, and biomedical engineering.

2. How do I choose which engineering discipline to pursue after college?

Choosing an engineering discipline depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It's important to research and understand the different disciplines to determine which one aligns best with your skills and passions.

3. What are the job prospects for different engineering disciplines after college?

The job prospects for engineering disciplines vary, but overall, there is a high demand for engineers in various industries. Some disciplines, such as computer and environmental engineering, are expected to see higher job growth in the coming years.

4. What skills are important for success in engineering disciplines after college?

Engineering disciplines require strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, attention to detail, and creativity. Technical skills, such as proficiency in programming languages and software, are also important in specific disciplines like software and computer engineering.

5. What are some opportunities for further education or specialization in engineering disciplines after college?

After completing a bachelor's degree in engineering, you can pursue a master's or doctoral degree in a specific discipline for further education and specialization. You can also attend workshops, conferences, and training programs to enhance your skills and stay updated on industry advancements.