Fully Developed Flow between two parallel plates

In summary, the problem involves a fully developed flow between two parallel plates where one plate has a constant heat flux and the other is heavily insulated. The velocity profile has been found, but there is confusion on which equation to use for solving the differential equation. The governing equations and boundary conditions need to be applied, and the only remaining term should be the diffusion term perpendicular to the plates. Viscous dissipation may also need to be considered.
JasonB_VT
Hey you all,

I have a practice exam problem which is causing some difficulty for me.

Basically I have a fully developed flow through two parallel plates. One plate has a constant heat flux and the other plate is heavily insulated.

I have found the velocity profile: U=2*Uinf*(1-r^2/h^2)
where h is the radius.

Now I have set up the boundary condition to solve the differential equation but I'm confused on which equation to use. There is a general equation (I would post it here but its too messy) that will solve temperature distributions in a tube. With these equations, however, there is either a constant temperature or constant flux around the whole boundary.

I am confused on how to go about solving this problem, any advice will help! Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can basically start with governing equations. Start canceling out terms until you're left with a differential equation that you can solve.

For example, you can show that radial velocity = 0; you know that d/dz = 0 as well.

Like minger mentioned start with the governing equation and then apply the boundary conditions. Which in your case would be constant heat flux at both boundaries. Heavily insulated means no heat flux which is a constant heat flux of 0.

If the flow is fully developed for both velocity and temperature between two plates you should only be left with the diffusion term perpendicular to the plates because there is no temperature gradient in the flow direction and no velocity component perpendicular to the plates. The only other thing to consider would be viscous dissipation but I guess it depends on the situation whether or not you want to keep that term.

1. What is fully developed flow between two parallel plates?

Fully developed flow between two parallel plates refers to a type of fluid flow in which the velocity profile in the direction of flow remains constant and does not change with respect to the distance between the two plates. This occurs when the fluid has reached a steady state and the flow is fully developed within the boundary layer.

2. What factors affect fully developed flow between two parallel plates?

The main factors that affect fully developed flow between two parallel plates are the viscosity of the fluid, the distance between the plates, and the velocity of the fluid. The properties of the two plates, such as their roughness and surface conditions, can also have an impact on the flow.

3. How is fully developed flow between two parallel plates calculated?

The velocity profile of fully developed flow between two parallel plates can be calculated using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which takes into account the fluid viscosity, the distance between the plates, and the pressure gradient. This equation is based on the assumption of laminar flow and negligible inertia effects.

4. What are the applications of fully developed flow between two parallel plates?

Fully developed flow between two parallel plates is commonly used in industries such as chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, and biomedical engineering. It is also relevant in the study of fluid mechanics and is used in the design of various devices, such as heat exchangers and microfluidic devices.

5. What are the limitations of fully developed flow between two parallel plates?

One major limitation of fully developed flow between two parallel plates is that it only applies to laminar flow and cannot accurately predict turbulent flow. Additionally, the assumption of constant velocity profile is not always valid in real-world scenarios, and the presence of external factors such as external forces or non-Newtonian fluids can also affect the flow.