Plot a graph to verify the inverse square law and use the graph to estimate ?

In summary, the conversation discusses collecting data from an experiment to measure gamma ray count-rate at different distances from a sample of cobalt-60. The background count was measured five times and a graph was plotted to verify the inverse square law. However, there is confusion on how to calculate the extra distance between the source and detector using the graph.
nomanslan
Hi,

I know that this is my first post, but please help me! I am having trouble with the following question

"The following data was collected from an experiment to measure the gamma ray count-rate at different distances from a sample of cobalt-60 The background count was measured five times. Background count (per minute) = 12, 14, 10, 15, 12.

Count (per minute) 413 161 92 60 43 35 26
Distance between source and detector (cm) 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0 7.0 8.0

Plot a suitable graph to verify the inverse square law and use the graph to estimate the extra distance, d, between the source and the detector."

i have plotted the graph, but i am unsure on have to calculate the extra distance using it.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF nomanslan!

I'm unclear on what you mean by "the extra distance" between source and detector. You measured the distance between source and detector, did you not?

1. What is the inverse square law and how does it relate to graphing?

The inverse square law states that the intensity of a physical quantity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. In graphing, this means that as the distance increases, the intensity decreases exponentially.

2. How do I plot a graph to verify the inverse square law?

To plot a graph to verify the inverse square law, you will need to measure the intensity of a physical quantity at different distances from the source. Then, you can plot these points on a graph and see if they form a curve that follows the inverse square law.

3. What type of graph should I use to verify the inverse square law?

The most common type of graph used to verify the inverse square law is a scatter plot. This type of graph allows you to plot individual data points and see the overall trend of the data.

4. How can I estimate the inverse square law using the graph?

To estimate the inverse square law using the graph, you can use the slope of the curve. The steeper the slope, the faster the intensity decreases with distance, indicating a stronger inverse square relationship.

5. What are the units of measurement for the intensity and distance in the inverse square law?

The units of measurement for the intensity will depend on the specific physical quantity being measured. For example, if measuring light intensity, the units could be lumens or lux. The distance is typically measured in meters (m).