Is a 1968 Alternator Guage unit rebuildable?

In summary: First and foremost, is there any sign of a manufacturer logo, label etc on the original gauge you have?No, there is not. Second, what make of vehicle or machine is this gauge installed in?This gauge is installed in the console (next to the oil pressure guage) on a 1968 Ford Mustang 428CJ FB equipped with a 4 speed manual trani. Are looking for a new alternator gauge or to restore the original one?If the original SW gauge is not repairable, then I would recommend purchasing a new SW gauge. If the original SW gauge is repairable, then I would recommend
Big Block
The 1968 alternator gauge is 'smoked' The replacement Stewart-Warner gauge is different - it reads "Amperes" instead of "Alternator". I would like to save the casing on my unit...There is a detent on the rim of the casing and looks to me like the main cap would "pop-off", like a watch case.
If this is rebuildable could you recommend someone...If not, would you know of anyone selling this model...
Any thoughts...

Engineering news on Phys.org
First & foremost, is there any sign of a manufacturer logo, label etc on the original gauge you have?

Second, what make of vehicle or machine is this gauge installed in?

http://www.yearone.com/
i got a lot of parts for my 68 plymouth road runner from year one...not cheap but the y are oem of close to oem

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigblock have you read the other thread since you last posted in it?

Fahlin Racing said:
First & foremost, is there any sign of a manufacturer logo, label etc on the original gauge you have?

Second, what make of vehicle or machine is this gauge installed in?

Fahlin Racing,
Yes, SW. The gauge is installed in the console (next to the oil pressure guage) on a 1968 Ford Mustang 428CJ FB equipped with a 4 speed manual trani.

Are looking for a new http://www.stewartwarner.com/" gauge or to restore the original one ? In the last case, talk with guys like these ones:

http://www.autoinstruments.com/"
http://www.dandmrestoration.com/"
http://www.tachman.com/"

My final piece of advice to you is to quit pursuing the alternator fix UNTIL you get the starter to work. you can by pass the gauge as it is not required to start the engine. chances are a wire is shorted out to the point is is brunt in two..the gauge may be the faulty connection.
in any event you can run new wire from the hot side of the ammeter to the connection if need be...BUT
as far as you have told me..the starter has not spun since the original smoke event.
until you can get the starter to work..you have a classic car stationary monument...
end of comments
rm

^^^^^^^^^Which would be the opposite of my advice as previously stated. Haha.

Ranger Mike said:
you can by pass the gauge as it is not required to start the engine. chances are a wire is shorted out to the point is is brunt in two..the gauge may be the faulty connection.
in any event you can run new wire from the hot side of the ammeter to the connection if need be...BUT
rm

Ranger Mike,
To the Ammeter guage: Run a new wire from the hot wire to what connection?

Big Block have you read what I've posted in the other thread?

Big Block said:
Fahlin Racing,
Yes, SW. The gauge is installed in the console (next to the oil pressure guage) on a 1968 Ford Mustang 428CJ FB equipped with a 4 speed manual trani.

Have you checked with Stewart Warner for service parts yet?

Is this a two-inch diameter gauge?

I could check in the catalog at work, although it won't list them in a application order in our gauge catalog. Picture of the face possibly so I know what to try to look for?

Fahlin Racing said:
Have you checked with Stewart Warner for service parts yet?

Is this a two-inch diameter gauge?

I could check in the catalog at work, although it won't list them in a application order in our gauge catalog. Picture of the face possibly so I know what to try to look for?

Yes, I believe so Fahlin Racing. This is the best I can do picture-wise. This is a Stewart-Warner gauge from the year 1968.

IMG_0154_converrt_1.jpg

Well, right off the bat, there is no gauge in the catalog like that. Like Mike mentioned, Yearone and other sites that were mentioned by others. I will try just to make sure though.

bigblock..call these guys...

http://www.cal-mustang.com/1969-70-MUSTANG-ALTERNATOR-GAUGE-C5221.aspx

Big Block said:
The 1968 alternator gauge is 'smoked' The replacement Stewart-Warner gauge is different - it reads "Amperes" instead of "Alternator". I would like to save the casing on my unit...There is a detent on the rim of the casing and looks to me like the main cap would "pop-off", like a watch case.
If this is rebuildable could you recommend someone...If not, would you know of anyone selling this model...
Any thoughts...

Fahlin Racing, rm, or anyone else can reply...
Q:
Is this alternator gauge rebuildable, or not?...There is a detent on the rim of the face and looks to me like the main cap would "pop-off", like a watch case.

The Stewart-Warner (SW) model is from 1968. If not, I would like to restore this one or purchase NOS (identical to this model).

Q2:
Option- to disconnect my faulty alternator gauge and safely wire up this circuit. How do you connect these 3 wires (live, return and ground)??...

Pictures of -
the alternator
IMG_0154_1024.jpg

and oil pressure gauges
IMG_0155_1024.jpg

i would send the amp gage to the link i gave you in California ..have them give you quote on cost to rebuild...
on wiring ..simply connect the to wires from th e amp meter togeather and MAKE SURE you do not connect a ground wire to these two hot wires..also tape the connection so you do not chance grounding it and causing a fire..
and...make sure the wires are not fried, or have melted any insulation off ..be carefulllllllll

1. Can a 1968 Alternator Gauge unit be rebuilt?

Yes, a 1968 Alternator Gauge unit can be rebuilt. It is a mechanical component that can be disassembled, cleaned, and replaced with new parts if necessary.

2. How do I know if my 1968 Alternator Gauge unit needs to be rebuilt?

If your 1968 Alternator Gauge unit is not functioning properly or is giving inaccurate readings, it may need to be rebuilt. You can also visually inspect the unit for any signs of damage or wear.

3. Is it cost-effective to rebuild a 1968 Alternator Gauge unit?

In most cases, it is more cost-effective to rebuild a 1968 Alternator Gauge unit rather than buying a new one. Rebuilding typically involves replacing only the necessary parts, which can save money compared to purchasing a brand new unit.

4. Do I need any special tools or knowledge to rebuild a 1968 Alternator Gauge unit?

While it is possible to rebuild a 1968 Alternator Gauge unit yourself, it is recommended to have some knowledge of mechanics and access to specific tools. If you are not confident in your abilities, it may be best to seek professional help.

5. How long does it take to rebuild a 1968 Alternator Gauge unit?

The amount of time it takes to rebuild a 1968 Alternator Gauge unit can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the skill level of the person performing the rebuild. It could take anywhere from a few hours to a full day.