Simple Harmonic Motion amplitude

In summary, an object in simple harmonic motion with a period of 4.0 s and an amplitude of 10 cm takes approximately 0.4 seconds to move from x = 0.0 cm to x = 6.0 cm. The equation x(t) = 0.1*sin(πt/2) can be used to find the time at which the object reaches a specific position.
JKLS

Homework Statement

An object in SHM oscillates with a period of 4.0 s and an amplitude of 10 cm. How long does the object take to move from x = 0.0 cm to x = 6.0 cm?

Homework Equations

T = 2*pi/w

x(t) = Acos(wt) or x(t) = Asin(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

T = 4.0 s
A = 0.10 m

w = 2*pi/T
w = 2*pi/(4.0)
w = pi/2

What happens now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good start!
Ask yourself at what time is it at x=0? What time at x = 6 cm?
The difference between the two times is your final answer.

I keep running into the issue of how to visualize the relative positions of these functions at different values. If I plug in 0.0 cm (or 0.0 m rather) into x(t) = Acos(wt), how do I know whether the function is moving positively ("up" a cosine crest) or negatively ("down" a cosine trough)? If it's positive, then the position difference will be the desired 6 cm. If it's negative, then the difference will be 10 + 10 + 6 = 26cm. How do I set this up appropriately in light of this?

Delphi51 said:
Good start!
Ask yourself at what time is it at x=0? What time at x = 6 cm?
The difference between the two times is your final answer.

I think what you're getting at is isolating t in each of x(t) = 0.00m and x(t) = 0.06m and finding the difference. However, this warrants a number (~23 seconds) that just doesn't make any sense given the period of 4 seconds.

I would use the x = 0.1*sin(πt/2).
Then at t = 0, x = 0.
At t = 1, x = 0.1 m or 10 cm.
So it will be at x = 6 cm sometime between 0 and 1 second. The motion is all in the same direction during this quarter of a period, so no up and down to worry about.

You could keep trying different times in that range until you get x = 0.06 or you could solve the equation for t and plug in x = .06.

Delphi51 said:
I would use the x = 0.1*sin(πt/2).
Then at t = 0, x = 0.
At t = 1, x = 0.1 m or 10 cm.
So it will be at x = 6 cm sometime between 0 and 1 second. The motion is all in the same direction during this quarter of a period, so no up and down to worry about.

You could keep trying different times in that range until you get x = 0.06 or you could solve the equation for t and plug in x = .06.

x = 0.1*sin(πt/2)
t = 2*asin(x/0.1)/π
t = 2*asin(0.06/0.1)/π
t = way too high.

Am I misinterpreting how to use this equation?

Ah, I see the problem. You were deceived by a little matter of units!
asin(x/0.1) = 36.9 degrees, which is 0.643 radians. t works out to about 0.4 seconds.
If you want to use degrees, then you must replace the π with 180 degrees in the formula.

Delphi51 said:
Ah, I see the problem. You were deceived by a little matter of units!
asin(x/0.1) = 36.9 degrees, which is 0.643 radians. t works out to about 0.4 seconds.
If you want to use degrees, then you must replace the π with 180 degrees in the formula.

UGH. Thank you. I'll try again.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion amplitude?

Simple Harmonic Motion amplitude is the maximum displacement of an object from its equilibrium position during one oscillation.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion amplitude related to frequency?

Simple Harmonic Motion amplitude is directly proportional to frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the amplitude also increases.

What factors affect the amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the restoring force, and the initial displacement of the object.

Can the amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion be negative?

Yes, the amplitude of Simple Harmonic Motion can be negative. This means that the object will oscillate in the opposite direction from its equilibrium position.

What is the relationship between amplitude and energy in Simple Harmonic Motion?

In Simple Harmonic Motion, the amplitude is directly proportional to the energy of the system. This means that a larger amplitude corresponds to a higher energy of the oscillating object.