Solving Elevator Force Problem: Acceleration Calculation & Direction Explanation

In summary, a person standing on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator experiences a normal force of 0.75 times their regular weight. When the elevator begins to move, the scale briefly reads this reduced weight. To calculate the acceleration of the elevator, we can use the equation N-ma=mg, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the person, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Solving for a, we get an acceleration of -2.45 m/s^2, indicating that the elevator is moving downwards. This confirms our intuition that the direction of the elevator is going down.
psycovic23
The question reads "A person stands on a bathroom scale in a motionless elevator. When the elevator begins to move, the scale briefly reads only .75 of the person's regular weight. Calculate the acceleration of the elevator, and the direction."

I know that the direction is going down because..it just seems like common sense, and I know the answer is 2.5m/s^2, but I don't understand how that was reached...any help? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Net sum of forces has to be constant. Taking 'up' as the positive direction, we can write:

N-ma=mg,

where a is the acceleration and N the normal force. The scale shows the normal force. Thus, N=0.75mg and we can write

0.75mg-ma=mg => a=-0.25*g=-2.45 m/s^2 (9.8 m/s^2)

Thus, acceleration is 2.45 in the negative direction, i.e. down.

Good intuition on the direction. Consider that a reading of the person's weight is a reading of the force the person is exerting on the scale. In other words, 1.00*mg if the person is only under the force of Earth's gravity near sea level. Therefore, the net vertical force on the person right now is 0.75*mg.

Ah, thank you very much! I guess I was looking at the wrong thing..I was trying to figure out the forces of the elevator, not the person standing on the scale.

1. How do I calculate the force needed to move an elevator quickly?

To calculate the force needed to move an elevator quickly, you will need to know the mass of the elevator (including passengers and cargo) and the acceleration rate. Use the formula force = mass x acceleration to find the force required.

2. What factors affect the force needed to move an elevator quickly?

The force needed to move an elevator quickly is affected by several factors, including the weight of the elevator and its contents, the speed at which it needs to move, and the angle of the elevator shaft. Friction and air resistance can also impact the force needed.

3. How does the force needed to move an elevator quickly differ from a slow-moving elevator?

The force needed to move an elevator quickly is greater than that needed for a slow-moving elevator. This is because a faster moving elevator requires a greater acceleration rate, which in turn requires a greater force to overcome the inertia of the elevator and its contents.

4. What are some common problems that may affect the force needed to move an elevator quickly?

Some common problems that may affect the force needed to move an elevator quickly include mechanical issues such as worn or faulty parts, improper weight distribution within the elevator, and incorrect calculations of the force needed.

5. How can I reduce the force needed to move an elevator quickly?

To reduce the force needed to move an elevator quickly, you can decrease the weight of the elevator and its contents, increase the acceleration rate, or decrease the angle of the elevator shaft. Regular maintenance and proper weight distribution can also help to reduce the force needed.