Revisiting the Origin of Consciousness: A Cognitive Scientist's Perspective

In summary, Jaynes suggests that consciousness is the result of the breakdown of the bi-cameral mind, a successful mode of problem solving that was based on commands from the gods. He believes that schizophrenia and other disorders are remnants of this earlier form of consciousness.
polyb
I am starting this thread because the other one with regard to consciousness is so long that I doubt I would be able to interject what my researches have found nor do I have time to read through all of it.

Recently I read a book named The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by one Julian Jaynes. It was very fascinating in the prospectus of accounting for his theory concerning cognitive decision making, the bi-cameral mind, and the evolution of 'consciousness'. He is far from being a 'light-weight' on the subject and was extensively involved with the field of cognitive sciences for quite some time.

To get a idea of what his theories are I recommend reading the following paper he wrote titled:
http://www.julianjaynes.org/pdf/jaynes_mind.pdf .

So does anyone have anything to say regarding the proposals of Jaynes and his theories concerning consciousness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
polyb said:
So does anyone have anything to say regarding the proposals of Jaynes and his theories concerning consciousness?
I read it a good number of years ago and have mentioned a time or two in this forum. As best I can tell my comments went unnoticed by the members and so I decided to bow out from such discussions.

I think I can 'see' what you are getting at. There is often a barrel of assumptions that go unmentioned when the topic of consciousness is discussed. I find that often it distracts from formulating a robust understanding of the phenomena.

Jayne's book, even though it had some speculative shortcomings, brought to the forefront the whole notion of the evolution of human consciousness, cognitive functioning, learning, environment, etc., etc. Personally I found the whole book fascinating and I was unable to put it down.

Did you read the article?

I haven't read the book so I don't know much about it. But what I have heard about it, and the reason I haven't read it, is that he suggests consciousness is somehow the result of evolution. I'll accept that our recognition of our own consciousness may be the result of evolution, but I can't imagine how a subtle change in the structure of the brain can give rise to such a fundamental, unexplainable property. Either consciousness was always there, and is in all animals to some degree, or it was never there.

StatusX, read the article to get a 'weak' form of his proposal, it is only 15 pages. As he states, most people seem to have an idea of consciousness as derived from the likes of the rational enlightenists such as Hume, Kant, etc. He does revise the definition of consciousness that is based on his observations as a cognitive scientist. I think the article will give you insight into what he means.

As for the subtle change that has resulted in consciousness as we now know it, I think his research strongly suggests that this is what happened. As he points out and I am sure you are well aware of, people at one time literally heard commands from the gods and obeyed them, or something to that effect. This is what he proposes as the bi-cameral mind that at one point in our history was a successful mode of survival. He goes on to say that because of the success of this form of organization/decision making, which resulted in city centers and/or ancient civilizations, eventually broke down due to population stresses, natural catastrophe and the like. Of course it was replaced by a more successful form of problem solving/decision making that he calls consciousness. He cites that what is known as schizophrenia, etc. are remnants of this genetic form of success that has carried over. I think this model for understanding consciousness as well as the unconscious is far more robust as well as it fits into a evolutionary context that this subject seems to be lacking. Remember, when talking about consciousness we are not directly referring to to sense/environment awareness, but something that is very different. Have a look and read the article, it is all in there.

I can't say that he is completely correct in his assessments but he does seem to make a great stab in that dark room of our ignorance(or more concisely, unconsciousness!).

1. What is consciousness?

Consciousness refers to the state of being aware of one's thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. It is the subjective experience of being alive and aware of one's existence.

2. How did consciousness evolve?

The exact origins of consciousness are still a subject of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that consciousness evolved gradually over time through natural selection and the development of complex brains in humans. Others propose that consciousness emerged suddenly through a single evolutionary event.

3. Can consciousness be measured or studied?

Consciousness is a subjective experience and cannot be directly measured or observed. However, scientists use various methods such as brain imaging and behavioral studies to study different aspects of consciousness, such as attention, self-awareness, and perception.

4. Is consciousness unique to humans?

While humans are considered to have the most complex consciousness, some animals also exhibit signs of consciousness, such as self-awareness and the ability to feel emotions. However, the level of consciousness and self-awareness may vary among different species.

5. Can consciousness be explained by neuroscience?

Neuroscience has made significant strides in understanding the biological mechanisms and neural correlates of consciousness. However, some aspects of consciousness, such as subjective experience, remain difficult to explain solely through neuroscience and continue to be a topic of ongoing research and debate.