Explaining Newton's Cradle: Proving Conservation of Momentum & KE

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical model of Newton's cradle and the attempt to explain why two balls pop out on the other side when two balls are released. The formula for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy is presented, and it is suggested that for conservation of momentum to occur, the average velocity of the n balls emerging from the left must be 2v/n. The conversation then shifts to finding a way to prove that n must equal 2 for this result to be true, and alternative solutions for when N balls are involved.
adamg
im working on a mathematical model of Newton's cradle. I am trying to explain mathematically why, when two balls are released, two balls pop up the other side etc.
i said that if there are N balls in the cradle, each with mass m, and the two balls you displace have gained a velocity v by the time they hit the others, initially the momentum is 2mv, and KE is mv^2. Then i said that if n balls emerged from the other side with the same velocity, it would need to equal 2v/n for conservation of momentum. Then KE is equal to (2mv^2)/n and we see KE can only be conserved when n=2.
I was just wondering if anyone can help me prove this result for when the velocity of the n balls emerging from the left is not equal. i.e then, the average velocity of the n balls would need to be 2v/n, but i don't know how to prove that n must equal 2. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
basically, if you let v1,v2,...vn, be the velocities of the n balls that 'pop out' after the collision, therefore v1<v2<v3...<vn. From the conservation of momentum we get:

v1+v2+...vn=2v

and from the conservation of KE we get:

(v1)^2+(v2)^2+...(vn)^2= 2v^2

is there any way i can show that the only solution to this is vn=v(n-1)=2 and v1=v2=...v(n-2)=0?

alternatively can anyone prove that, if we have N balls, and we displace 2, 2 will 'pop out' the other side in another way? any ideas welcome! thanks

What is Newton's Cradle?

Newton's Cradle is a popular physics demonstration that consists of a series of suspended metal balls that swing back and forth. It is used to demonstrate the principles of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy.

How does Newton's Cradle work?

The balls in Newton's Cradle are connected by strings or wires and are initially at rest. When one ball is pulled back and released, it collides with the next ball, transferring its momentum and causing the next ball to swing forward. This process continues until the last ball swings forward and then back, demonstrating conservation of momentum and kinetic energy.

What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a system where there are no external forces acting, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event.

What is conservation of kinetic energy?

Conservation of kinetic energy is another fundamental principle in physics that states that the total kinetic energy of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the total kinetic energy before an event is equal to the total kinetic energy after the event, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

What is the significance of Newton's Cradle?

Newton's Cradle is a simple and visual way to demonstrate the principles of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. It is often used in educational settings to help students understand these concepts. Additionally, it has practical applications in engineering and technology, such as in the design of impact-absorbing materials.