Robot Revolution: Artificial Chromosomes to Feel Lusty

In summary, Kim Jong-Hwan, the director of the ITRC-Intelligent Robot Research Centre, has developed artificial chromosomes for robots that will allow them to feel lust and potentially reproduce. He claims that this software, to be installed in robots within the next three months, will give them the ability to feel, reason, and desire. While some find this idea absurd and unnecessary, others see potential in creating robots with personalities and emotions. However, there are concerns about the consequences of giving machines such capabilities.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why does this sound like the beginning of something really scary?

...Kim Jong-Hwan, the director of the ITRC-Intelligent Robot Research Centre, has developed a series of artificial chromosomes that, he says, will allow robots to feel lusty, and could eventually lead to them reproducing. He says the software, which will be installed in a robot within the next three months, will give the machines the ability to feel, reason and desire.[continued]
http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/science/story/0,12996,1403780,00.html

Computer science news on Phys.org
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Figures that it'd be in The Guardian.

:blushing: Sorry about that. I was thinking that this was the other paper, glanced at the article, and posted a bit too quickly.

That is rather absurd. :biggrin:

Nothing sexier than the sound of metals clanking :yuck:

On a serious note, I don't see how getting robots to feel lust and reproduce is possible and practical, It's easier to just upgrade the parts and put the pieces together. Why don't they just focus on making robots more intelligent.

Kim also stated that robots will have personalities and emotions. How will he go about developing that? through a series of codes he will make them conscious beings with personalities and emotions? sounds good in paper.

I'm all for creating a species of "Datas" from Star Trek: the Next Generation, but without the emotions, just pure rational thought. I'm not a fan of fleshy humans.

Maybe its just me, but i don't want machines to have the ability to feel, reason and desire. But maybe I've watched terminator and I, robot too many times.

and Battlestar Galactica. And the Matrix. Maybe too many times.

Robots with feelings and emotions would be interesting, but not useful enough to be worth the trouble. If we have robots that show intelligence and perform routine tasks, why do we need to give them feelings and emotions?
Robots with feelings and emotions (Turing's view of intelligence) are feasible in theory, but less and less feasible in practice.

We already know what happens when you impart an entity with emotions, ambitions and the ability to fulfill them - they eliminate the competition. Sounds like a bad idea.

Chronos said:
We already know what happens when you impart an entity with emotions, ambitions and the ability to fulfill them - they eliminate the competition. Sounds like a bad idea.

Yeah, personally, I'm not looking to build myself into obsolescence.

1. What are artificial chromosomes?

Artificial chromosomes are synthetic DNA molecules that are designed to mimic the structure and function of natural chromosomes found in living organisms.

2. How can artificial chromosomes be used in robotics?

Artificial chromosomes can be used in robotics to create more complex and advanced robots, giving them the ability to perform tasks more efficiently and effectively.

3. What is the purpose of using artificial chromosomes to create robots that can feel lust?

The purpose of using artificial chromosomes to create robots that can feel lust is to explore the potential of creating more human-like robots and to further our understanding of the connection between emotions and artificial intelligence.

4. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the development of lustful robots?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding the development of lustful robots, such as objectification of robots and potential harm to human relationships and interactions.

5. How far along are we in developing robots with artificial chromosomes that can feel lust?

Currently, research on robots with artificial chromosomes that can feel lust is still in its early stages and there is no concrete evidence of its success. More research and advancements in technology are needed before such robots can be fully developed.