Education and Career assessment tool

In summary, the generic self assessment tools that high school guidance counselors give their students are not reliable for predicting where a person would find the best match of personality, knowledge, skills, etc. However, the Strong Interest Inventory may be helpful for predicting a person's interests.
ThinkToday
I post this here since this seems more about psychology profile, and IMO software tools that evaluate the person. The general tools that ask if you’re good in math, analytic skill, etc. really aren’t adequate. I've been going back a forth with my 17 yr old son about college. What do you want to do for a living and what college will best prepare you type questions. Outside of the focus on money, he's all over the board on this. Business, accounting, engineering, writer, music (very gifted but not driven), are some of the things he's mentioned. Outside of the generic self assessment tools the HS guidance councilors tell kids to try, are there any that are reliable objective predictors of where a person would find the best match of personality, knowledge, skills, etc.? I suspect we’re going to end up winging it, but at the current cost of college, ouch, I hate that thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThinkToday said:
Outside of the generic self assessment tools the HS guidance councilors tell kids to try, are there any that are reliable objective predictors of where a person would find the best match of personality, knowledge, skills, etc.? I suspect we’re going to end up winging it, but at the current cost of college, ouch, I hate that thought.
From my experience with my girls, after two years of college they finally found their true love, but not until after a few changes in majors and even a short break.

My older daughter went back to her original major - computer science.

My younger daughter went from pre-med to pre-law, then decided she loved psychology, so she plans to be a psychologist.

Sometime it's just trial and error.

Good luck!

I have many of the diverse interest your son had. That's why I chose physics for my undergraduate. I don't know if that makes sense, but it seemed to be a fundamental and diverse choice for me.

People often use the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator for career guidance. I don't know how tested it is with regards to career outcome, but I remember using it in school.

ThinkToday, I agree with Evo's method...after about two years of "General Educatiion" many students will be fairly certain of "what do you want to do for a living", as you put it. In my experience few 17 year-olds can be sure what they "want" to do in future.

After I had already found my career and was taking a few extra classes (at age 30 or so) I was given a test called the "Strong Interest" evaluation. Surprise: it described my interests accurately. Although I did not need it then, it would have been valuable a decade earlier. It may prove useful for your son.

"The Strong Interest Inventory (SII) is an interest inventory used in career assessment. The goal of this assessment is to give insight into a person's interests, so that they may have less difficulty in deciding on an appropriate career choice for themselves. It is also frequently used for educational guidance as one of the most popular career assessment tools."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_Interest_Inventory
https://www.cpp.com/products/strong/index.aspx

I can understand your frustration with the current education and career assessment tools available. Many of these tools rely on generic questions and may not accurately reflect an individual's unique personality, knowledge, and skills. This can make it challenging to determine the best career path for someone, especially when considering the high cost of college.

Fortunately, there are some more reliable and objective tools available that can help in this process. One such tool is the Strong Interest Inventory, which assesses an individual's interests, values, and skills to determine potential career paths that align with their preferences. Another useful tool is the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, which looks at an individual's personality traits and can provide insights into potential career choices.

It's essential to keep in mind that these tools should not be the only factor in making a decision about a career or college. It's also crucial to consider an individual's passions, strengths, and values when making these decisions. Encouraging your son to explore different opportunities, internships, and hands-on experiences can also help him gain a better understanding of his interests and strengths.

Overall, while there is no perfect tool for predicting a person's best career match, these assessments can provide valuable insights and serve as a starting point for further exploration. Ultimately, it's essential to have open and honest conversations with your son and support him in finding a career path that aligns with his unique abilities and interests.

1. What is an education and career assessment tool?

An education and career assessment tool is a tool that is designed to help individuals identify their strengths, interests, and skills in order to make informed decisions about their education and career paths.

2. How does an education and career assessment tool work?

An education and career assessment tool typically includes a series of questions or activities that are designed to gather information about an individual's personality, skills, interests, and values. This information is then used to provide personalized recommendations for education and career options that may be a good fit for the individual.

3. Who can benefit from using an education and career assessment tool?

Anyone who is unsure about their education or career path can benefit from using an education and career assessment tool. It can be especially helpful for high school or college students who are trying to decide on a major or career, as well as for adults who are considering a career change.

4. Are education and career assessment tools accurate?

Education and career assessment tools can provide valuable insights and recommendations, but they should not be considered as the sole determinant of one's education or career path. It is important to also consider personal experiences, interests, and goals when making decisions about education and career choices.

5. Can education and career assessment tools be used more than once?

Education and career assessment tools can be used multiple times, but it is recommended to only use them every few years as interests and goals may change over time. It is also important to keep in mind that the results may vary depending on the individual's current mood or mindset, so it is best to take the assessment when feeling positive and open-minded.