12 yr old who raped teacher gets life-long sentence

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, a 13-year-old British boy has been sentenced to a life-long prison sentence for raping his teacher and stealing her car at the age of 12. The incident occurred in a center for problem children and the boy had a history of behavioral issues. The judge stated that the boy's problems needed to be addressed before he could be released. The average life sentence in the UK is 15 years, but the judge ordered a minimum of 21 months detention for this case. The boy's age may have played a role in the leniency of the sentence. Some people believe the teacher may have been a perv and enjoyed the encounter, but others argue that she was a victim and the boy's parents
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/18899111/Tiener_krijgt_levenslang_voor_verkrachting.html

A thirteen year old british boy was sentence to a life-long prison sentence, after.. listen to this.. he (at the age of 12) had raped his teacher in a center for problem children and had stolen her car, which he abandoned after driving 50 kilometers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I guess that "center for problem children" says it all,huh...?

Daniel.

P.S. : Was the teacher a male...?

Was this some suprisingly strong kid, or weak teacher? I would think that anyone would be able to knock out your average 12 year old.

edit.. here is the BBC english version: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4340339.stm

edit2...

After reading the story, I am very pleased with the British judicial system. Here in the US the kid would have got a slap on the wrist, or maybe community service.

Last edited:
mattmns said:
Was this some suprisingly strong kid, or weak teacher? I would think that anyone would be able to knock out your average 12 year old.

edit.. here is the BBC english version: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4340339.stm

edit2...

After reading the story, I am very pleased with the British judicial system. Here in the US the kid would have got a slap on the wrist, or maybe community service.

Yeah, well slap on the wrist doesn't quite cut it, but life - long ... suppose there is the possibility of parole after some number of years and this does mean sentencing to a rehab of sorts ? A disturbed puppy.

I think a life-long sentence would be a very normal and fair emotional response (revenge) however I don't know if it's right. I mean, I think at 12 years old the kid would still have a slim window to make something of himself.

ummm

hmm... are you sure this kid was 12 at the time?? hrm what has become of the british? i don't think that story is true somthing screwed up with the teacher... gz that kid was like in...6th grade... i don't think i was checking out chicks that young.. :confused:

KingNothing said:
I think a life-long sentence would be a very normal and fair emotional response (revenge) however I don't know if it's right. I mean, I think at 12 years old the kid would still have a slim window to make something of himself.
As the judge said:
"These problems are not of your own making, but it is plain that until these problems are dealt with you are very likely to commit other offences, other offences as serious as this.

So the public has to be properly protected until such time as your problems have been assisted."

The kid was 5'3" and 'stocky', the teacher was 5'1". I don't think that makes for an argument in his favour.

Anyway, the average life sentence in the UK is 15 years, and in this case the judge ordered a minimum of 21 months detention to be served, but that it would probably be longer.

I think the teacher was a perv.She liked it.

Daniel.

Monique said:
http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/18899111/Tiener_krijgt_levenslang_voor_verkrachting.html

A thirteen year old british boy was sentence to a life-long prison sentence, after.. listen to this.. he (at the age of 12) had raped his teacher in a center for problem children and had stolen her car, which he abandoned after driving 50 kilometers.

Actually i heard about this story a while ago (i think its hte same). The kids a problem child and needs drugs and all. Its a very dangerous job. I don't remember the rape though... i thought he just beat the teacher up.

Last edited by a moderator:
brewnog said:
The kid was 5'3" and 'stocky', the teacher was 5'1". I don't think that makes for an argument in his favour.

Anyway, the average life sentence in the UK is 15 years, and in this case the judge ordered a minimum of 21 months detention to be served, but that it would probably be longer.

How can a life sentence be a minimum of 21 months provided the inmate lives longer than that? How can the circumstances of rehab vary so wildly as to necessitate that amount of leeway (potentially 70 years or so) in what the actual sentence comes out to?

I think its because he's a minor.

Life sneteces rarely have minimum tariffs of as low as 21 months and I imagine the judge set such a low tariff becaus eof the boys age. 'Life' can be misleading as the actual time served can be only a few years, but the thing about life sentences is that IIRC technically anyone who has been sentenced to life has been realized they can be re-imprisoned for arbitarily long periods for virtually no reason (it could be something as minor as having a drink in a pub)*

* the above is only what I can personally remeber and may very well be inaccurate.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
I think the teacher was a perv.She liked it.

Psychopath.

You come out with such crap dexter? Put yourself in her position and then think about whether you would have liked it.

Arrest the parents. This child is underage, the parents are responsible, put them in jail as well.

If this child was a dog, the owner of the dog would have been held responsible for the dog's actions. I think parents of deliquents owe a debt to society for what they have inflicted. They have a right to be presumed innocent, but if it can be proved they mistreated the child or did not seek the proper care for his condition, they should be held responsible as well.

I also think you should hold the parents partly responsible.

loseyourname said:
How can a life sentence be a minimum of 21 months provided the inmate lives longer than that? How can the circumstances of rehab vary so wildly as to necessitate that amount of leeway (potentially 70 years or so) in what the actual sentence comes out to?
It's awful, i think, and the fact you can receive three life sentences! though, depsite what jeffory archer said, the british prison system does seem to work, even if it fixes a minority

Padford

Artman said:
Arrest the parents. This child is underage, the parents are responsible, put them in jail as well.

If this child was a dog, the owner of the dog would have been held responsible for the dog's actions. I think parents of deliquents owe a debt to society for what they have inflicted. They have a right to be presumed innocent, but if it can be proved they mistreated the child or did not seek the proper care for his condition, they should be held responsible as well.
i think that the parents are partly responsible too, but jailing them isn't going to help the child at all, is it?! Many people cannot see if their children are wrecking their lives, as they only see what the want, the whole seeing life through rose coloured glasses, or whatever it is!

and i read earlier that someone thought she was a perv, and wanted it. it think that's sick, and quite inconsiderate, you may not know her, but have some sympathy.

Padford said:
i think that the parents are partly responsible too, but jailing them isn't going to help the child at all, is it?! Many people cannot see if their children are wrecking their lives, as they only see what the want, the whole seeing life through rose coloured glasses, or whatever it is!
If you were a parent and knew that you could be arrested for acts committed by your spoiled or abused child, wouldn't you begin to take a more serious look at your parenting? Perhaps it would help other children, if bad parents saw they could be held accountable.

well, I'm not sure if the article implied the parents were to blame for the abused child, but i think if they were to blame, then hell yes - lock them up. But, even at the age of 12, you know what you're doing, so the kid can't be let off scot free. the parent's are partly to blame for child's weird, and psycotic behaviour, but don't lock them up for it - i mean, yes maybe they were incompidant parents, but even damn good parent's have reprobate kids

Padford said:
But, even at the age of 12, you know what you're doing, so the kid can't be let off scot free.
I agree. I think the boy needs help, but the community needs protection from his behavior, just like the judge said.

You know what you are doing but you aren't by any means mature enough to understand the consequences of your actions.

I don't think the parents should be held responsible unless there is evidence that they had any forewarning. It's not a true sign that they did anything wrong in raising him...I mean, it's pretty blatantly obvious that something was mentally wrong with the kid, and if a baby pops out with a mental disorder than there's often nothing the parents can do.

What is the story about?

The story is about a 12-year-old boy who raped his teacher and was sentenced to life in prison.

Why was a 12-year-old sentenced to life in prison?

The 12-year-old was sentenced to life in prison because he committed a serious crime, rape, which carries a severe punishment in the legal system.

Is a life sentence a common punishment for a 12-year-old?

No, a life sentence is not a common punishment for a 12-year-old. It is an extreme sentence that is usually reserved for the most serious and violent crimes.

What factors were considered in determining the sentence for the 12-year-old?

The factors considered in determining the sentence for the 12-year-old may include the severity of the crime, the age of the offender, any prior criminal history, and the laws and guidelines of the jurisdiction where the crime took place.

What are the implications of this case on the justice system and society?

This case raises questions about the effectiveness of the justice system in dealing with juvenile offenders and the impact of such severe punishments on society. It also highlights the need for prevention and intervention programs for young individuals who display concerning behaviors.