Proving that a curve intersects a surface at a right angle

In summary, the curve given by the parametric equations x=2(t^{3}+2)/3, y=2t^{2}, z=3t-2 intersects the surface x^{2}+2y^{2}+3z^{2}=15 at a right angle at the point (2, 2, 1). This is determined by finding the tangent and gradient vectors, which are parallel to each other, and noting that the gradient vector is normal to the surface, meaning the surface is at a right angle with the curve. It is important to note that this method can be applied to surfaces or implicit functions, and the notation of f(x,y,z)=0 can be used to simplify the process of finding
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

a) Show that the curve determined by:

[itex]x=2(t^{3}+2)/3[/itex], [itex]y=2t^{2}[/itex], [itex]z=3t-2[/itex]

intersects the surface:

[itex]x^{2}+2y^{2}+3z^{2}=15[/itex]

at a right angle at the point (2, 2, 1)

b) Verify that the curve [itex]x^{2}-y^{2}+z^{2}=1[/itex], [itex]xy+xz=2[/itex] is tangent to the surface [itex]xyz-x^{2}-6y+6y=0[/itex] at the point (1, 1, 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start (they have given us this assignment without explaining completely all of the concepts). I was thinking of taking the gradient of the curve and the surface in a), but I'm not sure how to proceed from there (and the curve will have 3 components in the gradient vector, and the surface will only have 2 components because we have x, y ,z). Could someone guide me in the right direction? As well, is there a general method to solve this type of exercises?

Physics news on Phys.org
fogvajarash said:

Homework Statement

a) Show that the curve determined by:

[itex]x=2(t^{3}+2)/3[/itex], [itex]y=2t^{2}[/itex], [itex]z=3t-2[/itex]

intersects the surface:

[itex]x^{2}+2y^{2}+3z^{2}=15[/itex]

at a right angle at the point (2, 2, 1)

b) Verify that the curve [itex]x^{2}-y^{2}+z^{2}=1[/itex], [itex]xy+xz=2[/itex] is tangent to the surface [itex]xyz-x^{2}-6y+6y=0[/itex] at the point (1, 1, 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start (they have given us this assignment without explaining completely all of the concepts). I was thinking of taking the gradient of the curve and the surface in a), but I'm not sure how to proceed from there (and the curve will have 3 components in the gradient vector, and the surface will only have 2 components because we have x, y ,z). Could someone guide me in the right direction? As well, is there a general method to solve this type of exercises?

Start by trying to get started. What's the tangent to the curve? It's probably a good idea to figure out what the value of t is at the intersection. And why do you think the gradient of the surface will have only two components? Do you know how to find the gradient of a function?

Dick said:
Start by trying to get started. What's the tangent to the curve? It's probably a good idea to figure out what the value of t is at the intersection. And why do you think the gradient of the surface will have only two components? Do you know how to find the gradient of a function?
The value of t = 1.

I thought that the gradient of a function f(x,y) was found as [itex]∇f=\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i+\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}j[/itex], in which i and j are the unit vectors. However when dealing with a surface (implicit), I'm not sure on how to start. I tried differentiating the expression respect to x on one side, and respect to y on the other side.

fogvajarash said:
The value of t = 1.

I thought that the gradient of a function f(x,y) was found as [itex]∇f=\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i+\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}j[/itex], in which i and j are the unit vectors. However when dealing with a surface (implicit), I'm not sure on how to start. I tried differentiating the expression respect to x on one side, and respect to y on the other side.

That's in two dimensions for f(x,y). Your surface is in three dimensions f(x,y,z). There's also a ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}## part.

Dick said:
That's in two dimensions for f(x,y). Your surface is in three dimensions f(x,y,z). There's also a ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}## part.
Alright so from what i get we have that [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\displaystyle\frac{-x}{3z}[/itex], however, how can we find [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/itex]? Or maybe I am misunderstanding how the gradient works. How can we find it in this case at least for [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/itex]? Is there a general method to find gradients in this case for surfaces (or implicit functions)?

fogvajarash said:
Alright so from what i get we have that [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\displaystyle\frac{-x}{3z}[/itex], however, how can we find [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/itex]? Or maybe I am misunderstanding how the gradient works. How can we find it in this case at least for [itex]\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/itex]? Is there a general method to find gradients in this case for surfaces (or implicit functions)?

You can write your surface as f(x,y,z)=0 where ##f(x,y,z)=x^{2}+2y^{2}+3z^{2}-15##. The gradient is ##∇f=\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i+\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}j+\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}k##. You are reading complications into this that aren't there.

Dick said:
You can write your surface as f(x,y,z)=0 where ##f(x,y,z)=x^{2}+2y^{2}+3z^{2}-15##. The gradient is ##∇f=\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i+\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}j+\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}k##. You are reading complications into this that aren't there.
That's much better, I had never thought of doing that. Thank you! I'll reply again when i get the time to work on the problem.

Dick said:
So now i did your method and found that the "tangent" (direction vector) was:

2i + 4j + 3k

And the gradient was:

4i + 8j + 6k

Then i argued, as these two vectors are parallel (scalar multiples of each other), we should have that the direction vector is parallel to the normal vector of the surface. However, this normal vector will be normal to the surface in question, so this means that the surface itself will be at a right angle with the curve (as it is at a right angle with the tangent line). Is my reasoning acceptable?

And on the other hand, how can we know when to apply that notation of F(x, y, z) = 0? When we have a surface or something similar? (and how in some functions of f(x, y), the gradient vector is only given in two dimensions but it is a surface as well? Or in this case, are we supposing that they are level surfaces?). Thank you Dick for your help.

fogvajarash said:
So now i did your method and found that the "tangent" (direction vector) was:

2i + 4j + 3k

And the gradient was:

4i + 8j + 6k

Then i argued, as these two vectors are parallel (scalar multiples of each other), we should have that the direction vector is parallel to the normal vector of the surface. However, this normal vector will be normal to the surface in question, so this means that the surface itself will be at a right angle with the curve (as it is at a right angle with the tangent line). Is my reasoning acceptable?

And on the other hand, how can we know when to apply that notation of F(x, y, z) = 0? When we have a surface or something similar? (and how in some functions of f(x, y), the gradient vector is only given in two dimensions but it is a surface as well? Or in this case, are we supposing that they are level surfaces?). Thank you Dick for your help.

That's fine. The curve tangent is parallel to the normal direction of the surface so the curve is perpendicular to the surface. And yes, if you can write the surface in the form F(x,y,z)=0 you can apply the gradient to F to get the normal direction. If your function where x^2+2y^2-15, then it's still a surface and you can still use the gradient, but since there is no z there will be no k in the normal vector.

1. How do you prove that a curve intersects a surface at a right angle?

The most common method is by using the dot product of the tangent vector of the curve and the normal vector of the surface at the point of intersection. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the two vectors are perpendicular and the curve intersects the surface at a right angle.

2. Can two curves intersect a surface at a right angle at the same point?

Yes, it is possible for two curves to intersect a surface at a right angle at the same point. This can occur when the tangent vectors of both curves are perpendicular to the normal vector of the surface at that point.

3. Are there any other methods for proving right angle intersections between curves and surfaces?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the directional derivative of the surface and the tangent vector of the curve. If the directional derivative is equal to 0, then the curve intersects the surface at a right angle.

4. Can a curve intersect a surface at a right angle at more than one point?

Yes, it is possible for a curve to intersect a surface at a right angle at more than one point. This can occur when the curve is tangent to the surface or when there are multiple points where the dot product of the tangent vector and normal vector is equal to 0.

5. Is it possible for a curve to intersect a surface at a non-right angle?

Yes, it is possible for a curve to intersect a surface at a non-right angle. This can occur when the tangent vector of the curve is not perpendicular to the normal vector of the surface at the point of intersection. In this case, the dot product would not be equal to 0.