Calculating Probabilities for Drawing Specific Cards

In summary, the probabilities of drawing two specific cards (suit doesn't matter) with the third one being any other card is 0.036199, drawing two specific cards with the third one being any other card and having all three cards be of different suits is 0.011945701, and drawing two specific cards of the same suit with the third one being any other card with a different suit is 0.001493212. To calculate these probabilities, the number of possible outcomes for each condition was divided by the total number of possible combinations of 3 cards from a deck of 52.
Physics_wiz
You have a 52 cards deck and you draw 3 random cards from it. What are the probabilities of the following (order doesn't matter in all of them):

1. Drawing two specific cards (suit doesn't matter) with the third one being any other card. For example 6 9 x or 9 6 x or x 6 9, etc..

2. Drawing two specific cards (ie. 4&5, 8&3, etc..) with the third one being any other card and having all three cards be of different suits.

2. Drawing two specific cards of the same suit (ie. 6 of spades and 9 of spades, 4 of hearts and 7 of hearts, etc..) with the third one being any other card with a different suit.

I'm more interested in knowing how to calculate those probabilities than in just knowing the probabilities, so if you can show me how to calculate all 3 of them that would be great!

Edit: for the first condition, the third card (x) can be one of the two cards selected (ie. 6 9 9 is valid).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
find the probablity of drawing a card or # then do the ...bah can't remember the rule name...i'm thinking bayes but that's prolly wrong

In the following, I'm assuming that the two specific cards are of different ranks.

1. Drawing two specific cards (suit doesn't matter) with the third one being any other card. For example 6 9 x or 9 6 x or x 6 9, etc..
I'm assuming that the third card can be the same rank as one of the first two cards so: (4*4*50)/52C3 = 0.036199.

2. Drawing two specific cards (ie. 4&5, 8&3, etc..) with the third one being any other card and having all three cards be of different suits. I'm assuming that the third card must be of different rank than the first two cards so: (4*3*22)/52C3 = 0.011945701.

3. Drawing two specific cards of the same suit (ie. 6 of spades and 9 of spades, 4 of hearts and 7 of hearts, etc..) with the third one being any other card with a different suit. I'm assuming that the third card must be of a different rank than the first two cards so: 33/52C3 = 0.001493212.

I hope this helps. :>

1. What is the probability of drawing a face card from a standard deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a face card (Jack, Queen, or King) from a standard deck of cards is 12/52, or approximately 23.1%.

2. How many cards are in a standard deck?

A standard deck of cards contains 52 cards, divided into four suits (hearts, diamonds, spades, and clubs) with 13 cards in each suit.

3. What is the probability of drawing a red card from a standard deck of cards?

The probability of drawing a red card (heart or diamond) from a standard deck of cards is 26/52, or 50%.

4. Can you calculate the probability of drawing a specific card from a deck?

Yes, the probability of drawing a specific card from a deck can be calculated by dividing the number of that specific card in the deck by the total number of cards in the deck (e.g. the probability of drawing the Ace of spades from a standard deck would be 1/52).

5. How many cards should be drawn from a deck to ensure that at least one face card is drawn?

To ensure that at least one face card is drawn, you would need to draw at least 3 cards from a standard deck (since the probability of drawing a face card is 12/52, or approximately 23.1%).