What is the recipe for My Dad's Shrimp, Crab & Oyster Gumbo?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, My Dad's Shrimp, Crab & Oyster Gumbo contains onion, butter, flour, chicken broth, tomatoes, parsley, thyme, garlic, bay leaves, shrimp, crab meat, oysters, and gumbo file powder. It takes one hour to prepare and has a chocolate glaze.
hypatia said:
Aged beef has a much stronger flavor, and it is more tender. It has something to do with the structure of collagen, muscle fibers and enzymes. Aged beef is much more expensive, as it has a shorter shelf life. You need to go to specialty stores to get it, or have it shiped to you from a packing house. Many of the worlds best steak houses use only aged beef.

We call it sylvester stallone steak :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Monique said:
they then seered it in a 1900 fahrenheit oven, 1000 celcius.

That's the key to cooking steak: You can't have enough heat. On the BBQ, the biggest trouble is preventing a runaway fire at such high temps. But my steaks sit about 1/2 inch above the hottest coal and wood fire that I can manage. Rotate freqently for even heating but flip only once. And never overcook a good steak. With a hot fire, a 1 Lb steak should take about [edit] five to six minutes to cook. Anything past eight minutes is probably ruined.

You have to be careful though as I have ignited an entire BBQ this way - the burning paint on the outside produced flames up to ten feet high.

Last edited:
I made couscous tonight. This is one of the most requested meals from my daughters. My version is a stew with chicken, zucchini, carrots and chickpeas (garbanzos). It's a variation of the Algerian couscous with lamb my mother made (my girls don't like lamb). I use a packaged stew mix for the seasoning, but the company changed their ingredients and it's not as good as it used to be. :grumpy: I guess I am going to have to experiment to come up with my own seasonings again. I do not put any weird stuff like raisins or cinnamon in it. :yuck: This is REAL food. :cool:

My older daughter doesn't even eat the chicken, she only wants the vegetables over the couscous (but the chicken imparts a lovely flavor).

Last edited:
zanazzi78 said:
Yep you can smoke just about any thing. I saw a program on tv yesterday where they smoked a bag of muscles!
Mmmmm, smoked mussels are good!

zanazzi, I had to buy a smoked turkey today because of your post. I love smoked meat.

Evo said:
Mmmmm, smoked mussels are good! .

I love mussels, but you just can not get fresh ones where i live, only the
packed ones in butter :yuck: I had the best ever ones in Holland, thats
where i learned to use the shell as a fork.
The last ones i bought from the only fish monger in our local town, 75% did not
open, what a waste i chucked the lot, and i was so looking forward to them :grumpy:

Moonbear said:
She had non-specific instructions to reduce the amount of tahini from what the recipe calls for. I found it tastes really good with 1/2 c of tahini (sorry, don't have the metric conversion on hand at the moment), and I used the juice from one whole large lemon, which is a little more than the recipe calls for, but it'll spare you from dirtying another measuring cup. The recipe says to add 1/2 c of water too (I think that's how much it said). I would suggest adding the water gradually until you get the texture you like. I like hummus nice and thick for dipping pita bread in, so only used about 1/4 c of water and it came out just right for my preferences.
I made it today and it was yummy! :biggrin: next time I should reduce the tahini though.. actually, I think I'll make one with grated ginger tomorrow, that should be good!

wolram said:
I love mussels, but you just can not get fresh ones where i live, only the
packed ones in butter :yuck: I had the best ever ones in Holland, thats
where i learned to use the shell as a fork.
The last ones i bought from the only fish monger in our local town, 75% did not
open, what a waste i chucked the lot, and i was so looking forward to them :grumpy:

Ah the joy of living by the coast!

Actually i think i need to add this to the "whats good" thread ...

Ivan Seeking said:
That's the key to cooking steak: You can't have enough heat. On the BBQ, the biggest trouble is preventing a runaway fire at such high temps. But my steaks sit about 1/2 inch above the hottest coal and wood fire that I can manage. Rotate freqently for even heating but flip only once. And never overcook a good steak. With a hot fire, a 1 Lb steak should take about [edit] five to six minutes to cook. Anything past eight minutes is probably ruined.

You have to be careful though as I have ignited an entire BBQ this way - the burning paint on the outside produced flames up to ten feet high.

If you part the coals the fat from the steak drips into the gap! you still get all the heat but none of the combustion :smile:

Evo said:
I made couscous tonight. This is one of the most requested meals from my daughters. My version is a stew with chicken, zucchini, carrots and chickpeas (garbanzos). It's a variation of the Algerian couscous with lamb my mother made (my girls don't like lamb). I use a packaged stew mix for the seasoning, but the company changed their ingredients and it's not as good as it used to be. :grumpy: I guess I am going to have to experiment to come up with my own seasonings again. I do not put any weird stuff like raisins or cinnamon in it. :yuck: This is REAL food. :cool:

My older daughter doesn't even eat the chicken, she only wants the vegetables over the couscous (but the chicken imparts a lovely flavor).

I`v recently started eating couscous bought from the supermarket but i have no idea how to make these dishes. Would you mind giving your recipe?

zanazzi78 said:
If you part the coals the fat from the steak drips into the gap! you still get all the heat but none of the combustion :smile:

That reduces the heat. Reduced heat is bad. So I let it get to max temp and near flaming, and then shut the lid for smoking. If the temp starts to drop, I open the lid to stoke the coals. But if you time it right, you don't need to open the lid until its time to flip the steaks. By the time that is done and I am ready to shut the lid, the flames are beginning to roar again. That allows for maximum smoking and maximum heat, but with no runaway flame.

Last edited:
Here's a pound cake recipe I found and it made me think of Zz and his world famous Blueberry Poundcake. I haven't made this yet, but it sounds yummy.

Lemon Butter Pound Cake

1 pound (2 cups) butter, softened (do not use margarine)
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
6 eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3 Tablespoons Lombardi Cream of Limoncello
4 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Poppy seeds

Glaze:
1 Cup Powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon Limoncello
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Milk

Heat oven to 350F.
In large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; mix well. At medium speed, add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon peel and 3 Tablespoons Limoncello and poppy seeds. At low speed, gradually beat in flour and baking powder, blend well.

Bake at 350F for 1 hour 15 minutes at 1 hour 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely.
In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients adding enough Limoncello for desired drizzling consistency; blend until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Yield: 16 servings

Recipe courtesy of Linda Otto

http://www.lombardicompany.com/poundcake.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Recipe reminder for Evo :biggrin:

golden potatoes, mayonaise, pickles, dijon mustard, horseradish, onions, jalapenos, salt & pepper

It may have to wait until I make another batch, I just throw in what looks right and then adjust to taste. Spawn e-mailed me again requesting that I write all of my recipes down for her. I guess I need to do that soon.