Predicting when a liquid flow will break into droplets

In summary, the conversation is about predicting the behavior of a flow of liquid through a small hole. The person is looking for resources to help them determine if the flow will be a steady stream or droplets. They mention their background in chemistry and math and ask for links or suggestions. Another person recommends looking into two-phase or multi-phase flow and suggests browsing a website for resources. The original person mentions that the problem has already been solved numerically and that the ink-jet industry has a financial interest in it. They also mention an article they read about a model with 50,000 parameters.
Jeff Corkern
The following is also posted in the Chemistry forum. This is a cross-post. If this is not allowed, it's fine with me if this post is deleted by an admin.

I would like to know how to predict when a flow of liquid---dichloromethane, actually---freely flowing downward through a small hole (varying from around .05 to .001 cm) will exit as droplets instead of flowing in a steady stream. I have been bouncing around the Internet for a good while now and everything I find is either too specialized or grade-school level. I'm not interested in the flow of polymer solutions, just a plain old low-viscosity Newtonian fluid.

I've learned how to predict flow rate using Poiseuille's Law and drop size using Tate's Law. Now I need to know how to predict if the flow will be a steady stream or drops. Drops is what I want, actually.

I need something simple, not something complicated.

My own chemistry/mathematical/physical background:Simple quantum mechanics. Mathematics through simple differential equations. Vector calculus. E&M theory, i.e. applications and analysis of Maxwell's Equations. Thermodynamics and statistical thermodynamics.

So I can handle a certain amount of math.

Anybody here have any links? TIA.

Jeff Corkern
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Consider the following as a statement of logic and rank it as "True" or "False."

"If people possesses immortal souls, it should be possible to deduce this by logical analysis of their behavior."

www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried looking for two-phase or multi-phase flow (and perhaps thermohydraulic analyses)? I'm thinking that might be what you're after. Don't know of any decent online sources though, would probably hit www.cfd-online.com and start browsing ("elementary" books, manuals of various software packages would be my first pick for material).

PerennialII said:
Have you tried looking for two-phase or multi-phase flow (and perhaps thermohydraulic analyses)? I'm thinking that might be what you're after. Don't know of any decent online sources though, would probably hit www.cfd-online.com and start browsing ("elementary" books, manuals of various software packages would be my first pick for material).

Thanks for the URL. I'll check them out.

The question I ask has already been completely solved numerically, would you believe, the solution's just not available to me. The ink-jet industry had a HUGE financial interest in solving that particular problem. Some massive model with like 50,000 parameters, according to the newspaper article I read.

Jeff Corkern
Consider the following as a statement of logic and rank it as "True" or "False."

"If people possesses immortal souls, it should be possible to deduce this by logical analysis of their behavior."

www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com

yeah I'd say numerically it's "fairly solvable" (not your simplest CFD model but still not the hardest can imagine), and several (even) commercial packages have models to predict two phase flow for one. Probably most common application is steam, bubbles and all that, but can use to model for example rain and this sounds like a similar problem.

1. What factors affect when a liquid flow will break into droplets?

The factors that affect when a liquid flow will break into droplets include surface tension, viscosity, flow rate, and the presence of impurities or surface imperfections.

2. Can mathematical models be used to predict when a liquid flow will break into droplets?

Yes, mathematical models can be used to predict when a liquid flow will break into droplets. These models take into account the properties of the liquid and the flow conditions to determine the point at which the liquid will break into droplets.

3. How do scientists study the process of liquid flow breaking into droplets?

Scientists use various experimental techniques, such as high-speed photography and laser imaging, to study the process of liquid flow breaking into droplets. They also use mathematical modeling and computer simulations to analyze the behavior of liquids under different conditions.

4. Is predicting when a liquid flow will break into droplets important in industry?

Yes, predicting when a liquid flow will break into droplets is important in many industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage production, and oil and gas. Understanding when and how a liquid will break into droplets can help optimize production processes and prevent potential hazards.

5. Can the prediction of liquid flow breaking into droplets be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, the prediction of liquid flow breaking into droplets has applications in various areas of science, such as meteorology and environmental science. Understanding how liquids behave and break into droplets can help predict and study phenomena such as rain and cloud formation.