Thermal Stress on Two Rods [SOLVED]

In summary, the stress in the rod of length 1 is F/A1 = Y((\DeltaL / L) - (\alpha \Delta T)) and the stress in the rod of length 2 is F/A2 = Y((\DeltaL / L) - (\alpha \Delta T))
Fizzicist
[SOLVED] Thermal Stress on Two Rods

Homework Statement

A steel rod 0.350 m long and an aluminum rod 0.250 m long, both with the same diameter, are placed end to end between rigid supports with no initial stress in the rods. The temperature of the rods is now raised by 60.0 degrees C. What is the stress in each rod?

Homework Equations

Thermal Stress equation:

F/A = Y(([tex]\Delta[/tex]L / L) - ([tex]\alpha[/tex] [tex]\Delta[/tex] T))

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the two rods are in equilibrium when they are finished expanding, the net force acting where the they touch must be zero; the two contact forces are equal. Using the thermal stress equation, I found the force for both rods and set them equal to each other. Then I solved for the change in length and substituted it back into the equation to find the stress. For some reason I'm not getting a good answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A simple way to think would be to let a rod expand, and then bring it back to its original size by applying compression. Can you do that?

A simple way to think would be to let a rod expand, and then bring it back to its original size by applying compression. Can you do that?

Yes. That's essentially where the thermal stress equation comes from. However, since the two rods do change their length, I think you have find the change in length before you find the thermal stress on either of them. To find the change in length, you set the two forces equal to each other and solve for it...I think. But then again I'm not sure because I keep getting a wrong answer.

Due to change in temp 't', the rod of length l changes to (l+delta_l), and we know the eqn relating delta_l to alpha.

Now, due to compressive force F, the rod of length (l+delta_l) changes to l, and we know the eqn relating delta_l to F, Y etc.

Eliminate delta_l to get the final F/A. (There's no subtraction of terms.)

All I want to know is if I'm approaching this problem the wrong way. It doesn't seem to me like there are many alternative approaches.

Yes, somewhat wrongly.

Which portion of post #4 do you not understand? To start you on your way, the first eqn would be:

delta_l = atl, where a is alpha, t = change in temp and l is the length.

For the next part, write the strain delta_l/l for compressing a rod of length l by delta_l.

Equate the two, as I've said before.

(Note: since delta_l is very small, we can neglect it's square. That's why in the 2nd case too, we'll take take the length to be l.)

Your correct ans for one rod would be F/A = atY.

Yes, somewhat wrongly.

Which portion of post #4 do you not understand? To start you on your way, the first eqn would be:

delta_l = atl, where a is alpha, t = change in temp and l is the length.

For the next part, write the strain delta_l/l for compressing a rod of length l by delta_l.

Equate the two, as I've said before.

(Note: since delta_l is very small, we can neglect it's square. That's why in the 2nd case too, we'll take take the length to be l.)

Your correct ans for one rod would be F/A = atY.

The equation you derived is assuming that the length of each rod does NOT change. This is not true. The length of each rod does change, but the total length remains the same. This is why the problem is difficult...the rods each change in length, but less than they would if they were free to expand. The only way I found to solve for delta l is to use the fact that the sum of the forces at the junction between the two rods is 0 and equate them. Once you have delta l, you can find the stress on each, but it's not working for some reason.

Fizzicist said:
The equation you derived is assuming that the length of each rod does NOT change.

You are right. I was considering the situation for one rod. The following is the correct way to do it for two joined rods.

The force F due to stress is constant throughout the rod. That is one point. The other information to use is that the sum of the lengths of the rods are same.

The cross-sectional area of the rods will change due to thermal expansion. Initially both were A, and at the final temp, let them be A1 and A2.

So, total expansion of one rod = total contraction of the other rod.

Total expansion of 1st rod = thermal expansion - contraction due to stress
= a1*t*L1 - F*L1/(A1*Y1). Same for the 2nd rod. Then,

a1*t*L1 - F*L1/(A1*Y1) = F*L2/(A2*Y2) - a2*t*L2.

You can now solve for F and find F/A1 and F/A2.

Total expansion of 1st rod = thermal expansion - contraction due to stress
= a1*t*L1 - F*L1/(A1*Y1). Same for the 2nd rod. Then,

a1*t*L1 - F*L1/(A1*Y1) = F*L2/(A2*Y2) - a2*t*L2.

You can now solve for F and find F/A1 and F/A2.

Interesting. I used exactly the same information as you, but I proposed a different method in which you solve for the change in length by equating the two forces, rather than vice versa. I think I must be making a mathematical mistake or something, because both ways should work.

Got it. Thanks.

Yeah...I have no clue why my way wasn't working. Logically, the problem could be solved by equating the forces and then solving for change in length rather than equating the change in length and then solving for forces. I think it's probably a little messier the way I was doing it, and I probably kept making sign errors or something.

Don't we need to have A first to find F?

Last edited:

1. What is thermal stress on two rods?

Thermal stress on two rods is the distribution of stress and strain that occurs when two rods are subjected to different temperatures. When two rods are connected and exposed to different temperatures, the difference in thermal expansion between the two rods causes stress and strain.

2. How does thermal stress affect two rods?

Thermal stress affects two rods by causing them to expand or contract at different rates, leading to the development of stress and strain. This can result in the rods deforming or breaking if the stress is too high.

3. What factors contribute to thermal stress on two rods?

The main factors that contribute to thermal stress on two rods include the difference in temperature between the two rods, the materials used for the rods, and the length and diameter of the rods. The type of connection between the two rods can also play a role in the development of thermal stress.

4. How can thermal stress on two rods be minimized?

To minimize thermal stress on two rods, the temperature difference between the two rods should be reduced. This can be achieved by using materials with similar coefficients of thermal expansion or by introducing a gap or insulation between the two rods. Proper design and selection of materials and connections can also help to minimize thermal stress.

5. What are the potential consequences of high thermal stress on two rods?

High thermal stress on two rods can lead to failure, deformation, and reduced performance of the rods. It can also cause cracks and fractures in the rods, which can be dangerous in certain applications. In extreme cases, thermal stress can cause the rods to break or collapse, resulting in damage to surrounding structures or equipment.