Parametrize intersection of a plane and paraboloid

In summary, the intersection of the paraboloid z = x2+y2 and the plane 3x-7y+z = 4 is between 0 \leq t \geq 2*pi. When t = 0, x will be greatest on the curve.
re12

Homework Statement

Parametrize the intersection of
the paraboloid z = x2 + y2
and the plane 3x -7y + z = 4
between 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] t [tex]\geq[/tex] 2*pi

When t = 0, x will be greatest on the curve.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I never really know how to do these kinds of problem. I am more familiar with parametrizing straight lines. Here is what I have done so far

I substitute the z in the plane equation with the paraboloid

3x - 7y + x2 + y2 = 4
x2 + 3x + (3/2)2 + y2 -7y + (7/2)2 = 37/2
(x + 3/2) 2 + (y - 7/2)2 = 37/2

which is a circle centered at (-3/2 , 7/2) with radius 37/2

So to parametrize x, I did

x = [tex]\sqrt{37/2}[/tex] - (3/2) at t = 0 so
x = ([tex]\sqrt{37/2}[/tex] - 3/2) * cos(t)

This may be wrong, but I am not sure. Please let me know if I am on the right track and how can I continue with this problem. The y and z components seem to be more complicated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
re12 said:
3x - 7y + x2 + y2 = 4
x2 + 3x + (3/2)2 + y2 -7y + (7/2)2 = 29/2

What happened to the 4?:wink:

So to parametrize x, I did

x = [tex]\sqrt{29/2}[/tex] - (3/2) at t = 0 so
x = ([tex]\sqrt{29/2}[/tex] - 3/2) * cos(t)

Close, to find x, you start at the center (-3/2) and add some fraction of the radius...that means you have x=-3/2+f(t)*radius, and so you want x=-3/2+cos(t)*radius not cos(t)*(-3/2+radius)...make sense?

I added (3/2)2 and (7/2)2 to both side so it will be greater than 4. I think I put in the wrong numbers when I use my calculator. It should be 37/2 instead of 29/2
And that explanation made a lot of sense heh.

So I ended up with
x = -3/2 + ([tex]\sqrt{37/2}[/tex]*cos(t)
y = 7/2 + ([tex]\sqrt{37/2}[/tex]*sint(t)

Can anyone lead me on the right track to finding z? Thanks

z=x^2+y^2 :wink:

Love it whenever a problem that looks complicated has simple solution. heh thanks =)

What is the definition of "parametrize intersection of a plane and paraboloid"?

The parametrization of the intersection of a plane and a paraboloid is a mathematical representation of the points where the plane and paraboloid intersect, using one or more parameters to describe the coordinates of these points.

Why is it important to parametrize the intersection of a plane and paraboloid?

Parametrizing the intersection of a plane and a paraboloid allows for a more precise and efficient way of analyzing and solving equations involving these two shapes. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between the two shapes and how they intersect.

What are the steps to parametrize the intersection of a plane and paraboloid?

The steps to parametrize the intersection of a plane and paraboloid involve finding the equations of the plane and paraboloid, setting them equal to each other, solving for the parameters, and then substituting the parameters back into the original equations to find the coordinates of the intersection points.

How does the orientation of the plane and paraboloid affect the parametrization of their intersection?

The orientation of the plane and paraboloid can affect the parametrization of their intersection by changing the parameters and equations used to describe the intersection points. Different orientations may also result in different numbers of intersection points or no intersection at all.

What are some real-life applications of parametrizing the intersection of a plane and paraboloid?

Parametrization of the intersection of a plane and paraboloid is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to solve optimization problems, determine the shape of a satellite dish, or create 3D models of objects. It also has applications in robotics, where it can be used to calculate the intersection of robot arms and obstacles.