Steam jet refrigeration , mini project

In summary, the individual is in their third year of a mechanical engineering degree and their group is planning to do a steam jet refrigeration system as a mini project. The components of the project include a boiler, steam nozzle, thermocompressor, flash chamber, condenser, and pump. Their goal is to provide air conditioning and reduce water temperature. They are unsure if the project is feasible for their level of education and are concerned about the cost and difficulty of designing a thermocompressor. They were recommended the project by their refrigeration lecturer but have doubts about its feasibility. They are also concerned about the safety precautions necessary for working with steam.
mufaddal
im from India , in my third year of B.E. Mech degree .. course... and my group is planning to do steam jet refrigeration system...as a MINI PROJECT ( Design And Fabrication Project in the syllabus)..
the components of the project are -
1. boiler
2. steam nozzle
3. thermocompressor
4. flash chamber
5. condenser
6. pump

we know the working of the system ... and the theory is also familiar though not so thoroughly

our aim is to provide air conditioning (comfort) and to drop the temp of water by few degrees..

First question .. is that . Will this project be feasible for my level of education...
and are thermocompressors.. easy to design ... and what will be the cost for them...??

i need help... please do reply.. my refrigeration lecturer suggested the project but we doubt its feasibility..

what pressure ranges can be achievable for a small system for few degrees drop in temperature??

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds to me like you are designing a steam jet ejector. See the link below for help.

http://www.croll.com/_website/pr/vetheory.asp

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
CFDFEAGURU said:
Sounds to me like you are designing a steam jet ejector. See the link below for help.

http://www.croll.com/_website/pr/vetheory.asp

Thanks
Matt[/QUOTE

the project costs a lot and it needs supersonic velocities so we .. are not proceeding...
any way thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
anytime I hear people asking about steam stuff with no practicle experience, I cringe.
power steam is deadly at best. A small leak can remove fingers, arms, legs, and peel the hide and flesh off of your body. IN MOMENTS! many gov'ts have VERY strict inspection requirements for just heat boilers, let alone power ones. I've been involved in steam locomotive restoration and operation, so have a pretty good basic knowledge of the stuff. Steam is not a good low buck, first level project for most applications. people can die, or worse

dr

Yes, dr dodge, I agree.

Always make sure to follow the ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) rules and regulations for boilers and pressure vessels.

He did say that they are not proceeding with the project.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is steam jet refrigeration and how does it work?

Steam jet refrigeration is a type of refrigeration system that uses steam as the working fluid. It works by utilizing the expansion of steam to create a low-pressure region, which then allows for the evaporation of a refrigerant, resulting in cooling. This cooling effect is further enhanced by compressing the refrigerant vapor and then condensing it back into a liquid state.

2. What are the advantages of using a steam jet refrigeration system?

One of the main advantages of a steam jet refrigeration system is its simplicity and low maintenance requirements. It also does not require any moving parts, making it more reliable and durable. Additionally, it can use waste steam or low-pressure steam as a power source, making it more energy-efficient.

3. How is a steam jet refrigeration system different from other refrigeration systems?

Unlike traditional refrigeration systems that use mechanical compressors, steam jet refrigeration systems use the expansion of steam to create a low-pressure region. This makes it a more environmentally friendly option as it does not require any harmful refrigerants. It also has lower operating and maintenance costs compared to other systems.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a steam jet refrigeration system?

When designing a steam jet refrigeration system, factors such as the amount and quality of steam available, the type of refrigerant to be used, and the required cooling capacity should be taken into consideration. It is also important to ensure that all components are properly sized and that the system is designed for optimal efficiency.

5. Can a steam jet refrigeration system be used in large-scale applications?

Yes, steam jet refrigeration systems can be used in large-scale applications. However, they are typically more suitable for smaller-scale applications, such as in laboratories or for air conditioning in small buildings. For larger-scale applications, other refrigeration systems may be more suitable, depending on the specific needs and requirements.