Writing two first order equations in matrix form

In summary, the conversation was about writing two first order equations in matrix form, specifically for a modified Van der pol equation. The equations are x' = y and y' = -x, and the resulting matrix is 0 1 -1 0. The follow-up question involves using eigenvalue analysis to describe the behavior of the system.
andrey21
I have been asked to write the following two first order equations in matrix form.

x' = y
y' = -x

I also must state that the follow on to the question asks for the only fixed point. The two first order equations came from a modified Van der pol equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jamiey1988 said:
I have been asked to write the following two first order equations in matrix form.

x' = y
y' = -x

I also must state that the follow on to the question asks for the only fixed point. The two first order equations came from a modified Van der pol equation.

Hint: Write the system of equations like this:
x' = 0x + 1y
y' = -1x + 0y

Ok would it be correct to write as a jacobian matrix?
If so would this be th answer?

0 1
-1 0
The numbers above are meant to be a matrix, sorry bad formatting:)

Jamiey1988 said:
Ok would it be correct to write as a jacobian matrix?
If so would this be th answer?

0 1
-1 0
The numbers above are meant to be a matrix, sorry bad formatting:)

Yes, that's the matrix, but I don't see how your problem is related to Jacobian matrices.

Well the next part of the question says:

Use eigen value analysis to describe the behaviour of the system.

Didnt want to put whole question on a single thread:)

Your book should have a section that describes the behavior of a system of differential equations based on the eigenvalues, whether they are real and positive, real and negative, complex, or pure imaginary.

Ah I don't actually have a book of such to use, just given a worksheet with exercises. COuld you direct me to a webpage with this information?

1. What is the purpose of writing two first order equations in matrix form?

Writing two first order equations in matrix form is a way to represent a system of linear equations in a more compact and organized manner. It allows for easier manipulation and solution of the equations, especially when dealing with larger systems.

2. How do you convert two first order equations into matrix form?

To convert two first order equations into matrix form, you need to identify the coefficients of each variable in the equations. These coefficients will form the elements of a matrix, with the variables being the corresponding rows or columns. The constants in the equations will form a separate column matrix.

3. What are the benefits of using matrix form for first order equations?

Using matrix form for first order equations allows for easier manipulation and solution of the equations, as well as better visualization of the relationships between variables. It also allows for the use of matrix operations and techniques, which can simplify and speed up the solving process.

4. Can you provide an example of writing two first order equations in matrix form?

Sure, let's say we have the following system of equations:
x + 2y = 5
3x + 4y = 10
Converting this into matrix form would give us:
[1 2] [x] = [5]
[3 4] [y] = [10]
where the left matrix is the coefficient matrix and the right matrix is the constant matrix.

5. How does writing two first order equations in matrix form relate to linear algebra?

Writing two first order equations in matrix form is an application of linear algebra, specifically matrix operations and techniques. It allows for the use of matrix algebra to solve the equations, which is a fundamental concept in linear algebra.