Does undergraduate school really matter?

In summary, the quality of your education and what you do with it is more important than the name of your undergraduate institution when it comes to graduate school and career opportunities. It is important to find a school that will allow you to pursue your academic goals and provide ample opportunities for growth and success. While attending a renowned undergraduate school may provide some benefits, it is not necessary for achieving a successful future. What matters is how you utilize your education and the opportunities available to you.
flyingpig
All of my friends are applying for the Ivy leagues and other renowned universities as an undergrad and all of them of course plan to go onto other equally renowned universities for graduate school.

So here is my question, once you do get your graduate degree (Masters or Ph.Ds), how much do people care about your Bachelor's?

I mean do grad schools even accept people from the same undergrad? Let's say I finished my bachelor at Berkeley's, and I want to continue my graduate studies at Berkeley, do you think they will even look at your application as oppose to someone from a different undergrad?

So i guess what I am saying is, is there really an advantage for people who go to renowned undergraduate schools? Any real benefits? I mean is the quality of education that much different? (RateMyProfessors seem to say otherwise...) Do people go there for undergraduate studies just for the name?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
I mean do grad schools even accept people from the same undergrad? Let's say I finished my bachelor at Berkeley's, and I want to continue my graduate studies at Berkeley, do you think they will even look at your application as oppose to someone from a different undergrad?

I know here at Cornell we kind of push the undergraduates away to encourage them to go somewhere else for grad school. That sentiment always made sense to me, although I know not how widespread it is.

Nabeshin said:
I know here at Cornell we kind of push the undergraduates away to encourage them to go somewhere else for grad school. That sentiment always made sense to me, although I know not how widespread it is.

But a nice graduate degree is better than a bachelor from an unknown undergrad institution right?

So what is the advantage of this strategy?

Its far more important what you do while an undergrad than where you go. You should go to whatever university will give you the best chance to participate in research opportunities. Once you finish grad school nobody will care about your undergrad. But you can certainly get into good/ the best grad programs from schools that are not Ivy league. I am not saying it doesn't help to go to a well known undergrad because it definitely can help but it won't kill your chances at a good future if you don't. I think most schools encourage their students to go else where just because its important to get a new experience, but I know plenty of people who have stayed at their undergrad institution.

flyingpig said:
So here is my question, once you do get your graduate degree (Masters or Ph.Ds), how much do people care about your Bachelor's?

Not very much. I think where you go does matter, but not because of what people think about the degree. The big thing that you need to worry about is getting a good education and finishing the degree.

It depends on school to school, but the answer is that generally graduate schools strongly discourage undergraduates from the same school. Personally, I think it's a good policy. My undergraduate was a small big name school. My graduate degree came from a big massive public school. Going to two different types of schools was better than going to one type of school.

So i guess what I am saying is, is there really an advantage for people who go to renowned undergraduate schools? Any real benefits? I mean is the quality of education that much different?

Quality is very individual. My undergraduate school was very good for me since it fit the way that I learn. The quality of the classroom instruction isn't that good, but you learn a whole bunch of stuff outside of the classroom. There are other big-name schools that I would have totally hated going to.

Do people go there for undergraduate studies just for the name?

They shouldn't.

flyingpig said:
But a nice graduate degree is better than a bachelor from an unknown undergrad institution right?

Not necessarily. What matters is less the degree than what you do with it.

twofish-quant said:
Not necessarily. What matters is less the degree than what you do with it.
Would you elaborate on that some? What do you recommend one should do to put a degree from an unknown institution to use for graduate school (or maybe a job)?

What is important is that you go to a school that will let you accomplish all your academic goals as an undergraduate. In fact, it's good to go to a school that is strong enough in your particular area that it would give you more opportunities in your area than you could reasonably pursue--this way you have some freedom to pick and choose and eventually excel in your studies, and if you find that one opportunity doesn't work out you can fall back on another equally good one.

For really super ambitious people, such schools are often the top ranked ones but not always. But the rank itself doesn't matter much.

Most people who apply to the top schools do so because of the name recognition. And most people, naturally, are rejected. Those who get in are in general those who make a strong case in their applications that they actually care about the opportunities provided by the school rather than the name and that they will make effective use of these opportunities.

Question 1: What impact does the reputation of an undergraduate school have on future career opportunities?

The reputation of an undergraduate school can play a role in future career opportunities. A well-known and highly ranked school may attract attention from employers and provide networking opportunities. However, it is not the only factor that determines career success. Other factors such as relevant skills, experience, and personal connections can also play a significant role.

Question 2: Is it necessary to attend a prestigious undergraduate school to be successful in the field of science?

No, attending a prestigious undergraduate school is not necessary to be successful in the field of science. While it can provide valuable resources and opportunities, success in the field of science depends more on one's own hard work, dedication, and passion for the subject. Many successful scientists have graduated from less well-known schools.

Question 3: How important are research opportunities in undergraduate school for those pursuing a career in science?

Research opportunities in undergraduate school can be beneficial for those pursuing a career in science. It allows students to gain hands-on experience and develop important skills such as critical thinking and problem-solving. However, it is not the only way to gain research experience, and there are other ways to demonstrate these skills, such as internships or independent projects.

Question 4: Does the choice of undergraduate major matter for future career opportunities in science?

The choice of undergraduate major can have an impact on future career opportunities in science, but it is not the only factor. While a major in a related field may provide a stronger foundation and relevant knowledge, it is not a determining factor for success. Many scientists have successfully transitioned into different fields within science despite not having a related undergraduate major.

Question 5: Is it worth attending a more expensive undergraduate school for the sake of a better education in science?

Attending a more expensive undergraduate school for the sake of a better education in science is a personal decision that depends on individual circumstances. While a more expensive school may offer more resources and opportunities, it is not the only way to receive a quality education in science. It is important to consider the cost-benefit and prioritize factors such as financial stability and personal fit when making this decision.