Measurement Club: Create Experiences with Physics at College

• Thread starter Nuha Abuzaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurement
In summary, the students of the college want to start a club for measurement and they are looking for ideas from others. They are also interested in building their own measurement equipment and testing physical effects.
Nuha Abuzaid
Hello everyone,

The students of our college wants to start a club for measurement. We were thinking that our college should give more opportunities for our students to be creative with the methods of physics and so, the idea of this club arose. We will take contact with one of our donators, but before that, I think it's good to be prepared. Is there anyone who has good ideas or experiences of a club for measument? What kind of stuff is relevant for our purposes? The idea of our club is to do measurement equipments and experiences out of students' own interests.

Science news on Phys.org
Thanks, yeah, I mean it. :)

I don't know what country you are in, but there are several several metrology organizations:

http://www.ncsli.org/

for example. What sort of measurements is your club interested in?

A random recent NYT article of interest: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/world/europe/13kilogram.html"

This has been in the news for a while though; a few earlier articles: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/opinion/09wed4.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the link, Andy. It might become useful.
We have talked with professours and it seems that there's no room for our club in physics department. So now we are trying to get contact with engineers students and ask them if they are interested in sharing a room with us.

I am from Finland and we would like to just build our own measurement equipments and test other physical effects out of our own interest. We still don't have any specific field that we are interested to do but I am sure that electromagnetism and optics will be two hot candidates in our list. Our university has NMR, ELSP, biophysics and geophysics labs, and also, astrology department, but all the labs are behind locks and we don't have a place where we can "play" with physics.

And, also, thank you physics girl for sharing that news. I guess we had a discussion of the topic in one course. :)

1. What is "Measurement Club: Create Experiences with Physics at College"?

"Measurement Club: Create Experiences with Physics at College" is a club at college that aims to provide students with hands-on experiences in physics through various measurement and experimentation activities.

2. Who can join the Measurement Club?

The Measurement Club is open to all students who have an interest in physics and want to learn more about it through practical experiences. It is not limited to students majoring in physics or science-related fields.

3. What kind of activities does the Measurement Club offer?

The Measurement Club offers a variety of activities such as building and testing simple machines, conducting experiments to understand concepts like force and motion, and using different tools and instruments to measure physical quantities.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience in physics to join the club?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge or experience in physics to join the Measurement Club. The club is designed to introduce students to basic physics concepts through hands-on activities and does not require any specific background in the subject.

5. How can I get involved with the Measurement Club?

If you are interested in joining the Measurement Club, you can reach out to the club's faculty advisor or attend their meetings and events. You can also follow their social media pages or join their mailing list for updates and opportunities to participate in their activities.