What courses are you taking next semester?

In summary: I might take it next winter though. In summary, the student plans to take:Math 140C - Multivariate Analysis IMath 162B - Differential Geometry IIMath 199 - Independent Study - Intro to Lie AlgebrasMath 121B - Linear Algebra IIMath 141 - Intro to TopologyMath 112C - PDEs II
Calc based Physics II
Calculus II
Intro to Philosophy
College Survival Skills -- bullsh** class
Creative Writing
Intro to Statistics & Probability

chapstic said:
I'm pretty envious of all the fun/interesting courses quite a few of you folks get to take. Dwarfs my meager upcoming semester courses. (Freshman-2nd semester of Matsci)

Calc II
Phyics I
Chemistry I

15 credits, I work 16 hours a week or I would be taking a larger course load.

How are those 3 classes 15 credits?

capandbells said:
Winter Quarter:
E&M II (Magnetostatics & Electrodynamics)
Abstract Algebra I
Quantum Mechanics I (Graduate)
Intermediate Lab — Photons
Kant
Research

Spring (probably):
E&M III (Radiation, Relativity)
Quantum Mechanics II (Grad)
Abstract Algebra II
Intermediate Lab — Nucleons
Thesis

What is Kant?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Ordinary Differential Equations
2. Advanced Calculus
3. Circuit Analysis
4. Intro to Computer Engineering
5. Engineering Economy
6. Communications in Engineering

Calculus 2.
Gen. Physics 1
Gen. Chemistry
English

All of you guys have insane workloads... How are you guys still alive?

JustAnotherGu said:
Calculus 2.
Gen. Physics 1
Gen. Chemistry
English

All of you guys have insane workloads... How are you guys still alive?

Buddy, just so's you knows, I had that same schedule sans English, and while it didn't eat me alive, it was a little painful. You're going to find out how we live very quick :smile:

Angry Citizen said:
Buddy, just so's you knows, I had that same schedule sans English, and while it didn't eat me alive, it was a little painful. You're going to find out how we live very quick :smile:

I was a bit nervous about how this semester would be when I signed up for it, but I was talking about the schedules that the rest of you guys are posting.

Mine looks like a piece of cake compared to what the rest of you are posting.

Dual-enrolled in two graduate programs:

1) Algebra I (first graduate abstract algebra course, 1st half of Dummit and Foote)
2) General Topology (first graduate topology course)
3) ODE's (taking this late because I never did in undergrad)
4) Applied Piano I
5) Music Ensembles and Studio

I'm also teaching one undergraduate music class, have an hour long solo piano recital at the end of the semester, a graduate assistant position in the music building (accompanying other students, about 20 hours per week), and a possible assistance in a research project with my algebra professor.

I thought I had a hard schedule, but it looks like everyone's is pretty rough! (or fun, depending on how you look at it)

Sophomore

1. Algorithms
2. Analysis
3. Programming Languages
4. Women and Gender Studies

OK, I just want to say something here.

I see that many of you guys are taking 5 or 6 classes at a time and mind you, these are not easy classes.

I myself am double majoring in both mathematics and physics. Yes, I love both subjects and I find them to be fascinating and rewarding, but also ...difficult.

But here is my question:

How the heck do you guys do it?! I'm serious!

I only take about 3 hard classes per semester.

Last semester, fall 2011, I took:

Electrodynamics
Thermodynamics
Complex Analysis

That semester was very very stressful, especially the last few months and final exams.
I'm also a serious and good student who actually studies on the weekends and turns in ALL my homework. But seriously, I had a really hard time near the end, I got major burnt out and still had to push through it, even being burnt out and it was NOT easy!

Also, I'm the type of person who really uses cramster and solutions manuals. Without the solution manual for Electrodynamics, I don't think I would even be able to do the problems. Seriously, I can't even do those problems on my own, its way too freaking hard. And if anybody doesn't think its too hard, please post a detailed solution and explanation from problem number 8.12 or 9.4, David Griffiths, 3rd edition. Please cause I'd like to see it.

Now, I know some people, like my friend who is just trying to finish as fast as possible. So he's taking tons of classes and just getting by, by the skin of his teeth. I too could just take a bunch of classes, but the problem is, that I actually want to learn the material. There is no way a person can take 5 or 6 highly advanced classes or grad classes and actually know what they are doing. There is no time to read the book, there is no time to do the problems, there is no time to understand anything.

For this spring semester 2012 I'm taking:

Classical Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics
Modern Physics Research Seminar
Piano

I could pile on my Independent Research class but my professor said I could take that in the summer. So I'm doing that to lighten my load.

If I were not working, yes I would take 4 classes per semester but I'm trying to pay for some of my bills by working part time. And at my school, for the physics classes, we don't have a Teacher Assistant or helper lab for assistance with our homework...no, we are on our own because its a small school.

I just don't see how some do it.

Fellowroot said:
<snip>

For this spring semester 2012 I'm taking:

Classical Mechanics
Quantum Mechanics
Modern Physics Research Seminar
Piano

I could pile on my Independent Research class but my professor said I could take that in the summer. So I'm doing that to lighten my load.

If I were not working, yes I would take 4 classes per semester but I'm trying to pay for some of my bills by working part time. And at my school, for the physics classes, we don't have a Teacher Assistant or helper lab for assistance with our homework...no, we are on our own because its a small school.

I just don't see how some do it.

I don't see it either, Fellowroot. I'm constantly amazed by some of the schedules posted here! Like you, I worked through college, too. So maybe you and I have a different perspective.

Your schedule, btw, looks like it will be plenty :smile:.

Nano-Passion said:
Calc based Physics II
Calculus II
Intro to Philosophy
College Survival Skills -- bullsh** class
Creative Writing
Intro to Statistics & Probability

I think you can opt out of the college survival skills class, but I don't know how your university is. At mine we could. I'm thinking you are pretty good with time management, so you could probably take a fun elective instead of that.

@Fellowroot

I echo your sentiment. Some of those schedules are ridiculous and allow for *nothing else* to be done during the semester, unless each person who posted one is an absolute genius who only needs to study half the time the rest of us do. That's not to mention getting adequate sleep, exercise, and at least a *minor* social life. I prefer not to skimp on health for getting done faster. Plus, I get to put more of my deliberate mind into a few classes a semester instead of having five or six of them where I can only do the minimal amount of work.

Mmm_Pasta said:
I think you can opt out of the college survival skills class, but I don't know how your university is. At mine we could. I'm thinking you are pretty good with time management, so you could probably take a fun elective instead of that.

Actually, I contend there is much room for improvement in the time management department. :wink: I never practiced time management till I attended college, prior to that, procrastination was my main asset. =D Regardless, I'm the complete opposite of someone who procrastinates now, but I think I can work a bit better on managing my time. There is always more to get done.

I'm just taking a greater course-load because calculus and physics is starting to become relatively easy, it just clicked with me at one point. Creative writing and Intro to probability & statistics don't count to my major but I just want to take it for fun and knowledge. I don't completely care about my GPA as much as I used to, which is why I opted to take these extra two classes. I would contend that it is a much better goal to focus on getting as much out of college instead of focusing completely on GPA. At any rate, I'm going to focus most on my major-related classes so it probably wouldn't affect my applications.

Pertaining to the college survival skills class, I attempted to opt out of it previously but with little success. It is a requirement if your graduating with an associates. I don't mind either, the class is there to help not hurt.

kings7 said:
@Fellowroot

I echo your sentiment. Some of those schedules are ridiculous and allow for *nothing else* to be done during the semester, unless each person who posted one is an absolute genius who only needs to study half the time the rest of us do. That's not to mention getting adequate sleep, exercise, and at least a *minor* social life. I prefer not to skimp on health for getting done faster. Plus, I get to put more of my deliberate mind into a few classes a semester instead of having five or six of them where I can only do the minimal amount of work.

I don't understand what is the whole rush anyhow. Which is better?

To graduate very fast/on time ..but attain a lower GPA/academic performance than one's potential promises, learn less, be full with stress, and spend less time enjoying your college experience.

OR

To spend an extra semester or two.. but reach your GPA/performance potential, learn more, less stress, and spend more time enjoying your college experience.

The college experience is probably some of the best time of your life both intellectually and socially. Why rush?

eXorikos said:
The semester is nearing its end. Show us your spring schedules!

Scanning Probe Microscopy
Nuclear Solid State Physics
Exotic Nuclei B
Theory of Nucleosynthesis
Theoretical Nuclear physics
Social and Historical Aspects of Physics
Master Thesis: Preparation

I'm considering changing the SPM and NSP for a big course on medical imaging and analysis.

Nano-Passion said:

To graduate very fast/on time ..but attain a lower GPA/academic performance than one's potential promises, learn less, be full with stress, and spend less time enjoying your college experience.

OR

To spend an extra semester or two.. but reach your GPA/performance potential, learn more, less stress, and spend more time enjoying your college experience.

The college experience is probably some of the best time of your life both intellectually and socially. Why rush?

Very true. Plus, with the economy this bad, who wants to rush to get out there anyway? That's a half joke.

Nano-Passion said:

OR

The social aspect of the "college experience" is complete BS. It took me my whole first year as an undergrad to realize that, so I decided that from this year onwards I'd much rather focus my energies on my studies instead of going about wasting my efforts trying to form meaningless relationships. Let's see how many people from your undergrad years you keep in regular contact with 5-10 years after you graduate.

Nano-Passion said:
So then the class is all about learning of Kant's philosophies?
Specifically, it's about his epistemology. We're reading the Critique of Pure Reason

I'm a second semester freshmen

first-year writing seminar
elements of linear algebra i
differential equations
complex variables i
intro physics laboratory i
electric, magnetism, & fluids
guided studies in physics with focus in maxwell equations.

All of the math classes are only a quarter.

Nano-Passion said:

OR

Some people want to push themselves that little bit more than others in certain areas. Nothing wrong with that.

If they can handle it, then kudos to them I say.

High-Performance Computer Architecture
Graduate Artificial Intelligence
Graduate Intro to Cognitive Science
Advanced Algorithms
Advanced Operating Systems (Audit)

Honors Dissertation
Intro to AI
Database Systems
Facility Layout & Location
Computational Geometry

chiro said:
Some people want to push themselves that little bit more than others in certain areas. Nothing wrong with that.

If they can handle it, then kudos to them I say.

There are many other ways to push yourself a bit more other than taking a bigger course load. I just don't agree that it is the best thing to do, sure some people might want to take the bigger load, and that is subjective so I can't argue with them; but I would argue that taking a moderate course load is the most rational thing you can do if you really care about learning and not just getting by.

Nano-Passion said:
I would argue that taking a moderate course load is the most rational thing you can do if you really care about learning and not just getting by.

This isn't true either. Suppose you're taking a "moderate" course load. Say 4-5 classes, each requiring 3-5 hours of work outside of class. This means you're working around 20 hours outside of class. This isn't even a full time job. What do you do with the rest of your time? Aren't you at college to learn?

Compare this to a load which is about 5 classes, each very difficult and requiring 8-12 hours of work every week. That comes out to be 40-50 hours every week outside of class, which is manageable and still leaves plenty of time to digest and absorb the material. The only weeks where it gets to be a bit much is weeks during which you have tests/finals.

Let me just say that I do agree if someone takes an absolutely INSANE course load, then yes, they do just care about getting by and not learning. For example there was this kid who made the world record books by passing 23 A-Level subjects and getting A's in 21 of them. But I highly doubt he actually learned or remembers anything. As long as it's a very tough, but manageable load (i.e you can still get 6 hours of sleep and time for maybe a small hobby), you can still learn a lot.

Last edited:
To add what ahsanxr said above, the universities that I am aware of have rules about how many classes one can take.

For example in the first year (or at minimum first semester), people can not overload on classes. If however their marks are very good, then they are allowed to overload on classes. If someone is not getting stellar marks, then they are not allowed to overload.

Specifically at my university, you have to get written permission (usually from the dean or the sub-dean) to be able to overload and I imagine other universities have a similar system (maybe not all though).

What exactly is an "absurd" workload, anyway? It's all subjective. Furthermore, the majority of posts within this thread have no indication as to the credit hours that these classes even are.

ahsanxr said:
This isn't true either. Suppose you're taking a "moderate" course load. Say 4-5 classes, each requiring 3-5 hours of work outside of class. This means you're working around 20 hours outside of class. This isn't even a full time job. What do you do with the rest of your time? Aren't you at college to learn?

Compare this to a load which is about 5 classes, each very difficult and requiring 8-12 hours of work every week. That comes out to be 40-50 hours every week outside of class, which is manageable and still leaves plenty of time to digest and absorb the material. The only weeks where it gets to be a bit much is weeks during which you have tests/finals.

Let me just say that I do agree if someone takes an absolutely INSANE course load, then yes, they do just care about getting by and not learning. For example there was this kid who made the world record books by passing 23 A-Level subjects and getting A's in 21 of them. But I highly doubt he actually learned or remembers anything. As long as it's a very tough, but manageable load (i.e you can still get 6 hours of sleep and time for maybe a small hobby), you can still learn a lot.

I don't know what physics or mathematics class is going to require 3-5 hours per week. I'm not even completely sure if 8-12 hours suffices for a non rudimentary understanding of later math and physics courses.. definitely not a "very difficult class" at least.

My previous points from the other post still stand for the academic route. I don't see any substantial argument. If you want to become a theoretical physicist, per say, then you want to understand as much as possible [along with other reasons that I won't restate].

To make the argument clear, let me pose this question: Do you believe that you have less time to dive in depth as a function of more classes? Yes or no? I have never stated that 4 or 5 classes should be avoided. But simply posited the fact that the more classes one takes then the less time one has to dive in deeper understanding, as well as have less time for other things such as research/socializing. I find that baffling to not agree with.

sandy.bridge said:
What exactly is an "absurd" workload, anyway? It's all subjective. Furthermore, the majority of posts within this thread have no indication as to the credit hours that these classes even are.

Yes I am well aware, which is why noted the following:

Nano-Passion said:
There are many other ways to push yourself a bit more other than taking a bigger course load. I just don't agree that it is the best thing to do, sure some people might want to take the bigger load, and that is subjective so I can't argue with them; but I would argue that taking a moderate course load is the most rational thing you can do if you really care about learning and not just getting by.

I would like to add that you can, instead, look for deeper understanding / do research if pushing yourself is your prime concern. It is kind of like someone who is working on an assemblage line who increases the speed of the conveyor to push himself.. but misses a couple things as a consequence.

Last edited:
I think first you should ask people what the recommended number of hours per week are for a full time load.

As an example, I'm doing four subjects and its recommended that I spend 48 hours a week doing relevant work which includes, but is not limited to, going to lectures, tutorials, labs, doing assessments and so on. If someone decided to overload, the recommended amount of work would jump up to 60 hours a week.

I went to another uni a very long time ago and that uni had what I would call "half-subjects" so if you packed your timetable with these "half-subjects" then you would be doing 8 subjects per semester, which if you weren't aware beforehand would seem like an "insane load".

chiro said:
I think first you should ask people what the recommended number of hours per week are for a full time load.

As an example, I'm doing four subjects and its recommended that I spend 48 hours a week doing relevant work which includes, but is not limited to, going to lectures, tutorials, labs, doing assessments and so on. If someone decided to overload, the recommended amount of work would jump up to 60 hours a week.

I went to another uni a very long time ago and that uni had what I would call "half-subjects" so if you packed your timetable with these "half-subjects" then you would be doing 8 subjects per semester, which if you weren't aware beforehand would seem like an "insane load".

Interesting.. what exactly is a half-subject though?

I think some people overestimate these course loads. As long as you manage your time well, it's not really so bad. As an example, I'm taking 120% course load, I'm in two school clubs, and I have two jobs, with plenty of time for 8hr sleep/day. Of course, I know of plenty people who are much busier than me, and they still manage too.

Taking extra courses doesn't always equate to wanting to rush through school. Some people just like learning! :D

Nano-Passion said:
I don't know what physics or mathematics class is going to require 3-5 hours per week. I'm not even completely sure if 8-12 hours suffices for a non rudimentary understanding of later math and physics courses.. definitely not a "very difficult class" at least.

It certainly does. How long else do you expect? If you're suggesting that an upper-level Physics class requires more than 15 hours of work outside of class, then I don't think you've looked at the requirements for a Physics BS at your school. For example, at my school in the 6th semester Physics majors are EXPECTED to take upper-level E&M I, Quantum Mechanics II and PDE's the same semester. So that alone is 45 hours of work if you say 15 hours per class are required. Add to that 10 hours of work for electives and time spend in class and you have a 70-75 hour work week. It would be crazy for the *department* to expect that kind of work from you as an undergrad. So my point is, 8-12 hours usually is enough for an upper-level physics class (also speaking from experience).

To make the argument clear, let me pose this question: Do you believe that you have less time to dive in depth as a function of more classes? Yes or no? I have never stated that 4 or 5 classes should be avoided. But simply posited the fact that the more classes one takes then the less time one has to dive in deeper understanding, as well as have less time for other things such as research/socializing. I find that baffling to not agree with.

Yes, it's true the more classes you take, the less time you have to dive in depth, but I was arguing quality vs quantity. Taking a good amount of upper level courses the same semester still certainly leaves plenty of time for depth. It's just that you have to be willing to work very hard.

Nano-Passion said:
Interesting.. what exactly is a half-subject though?

It's probably not the best term but a half-subject is just one in terms of credit points that is half of a normal subject.

In many Australian universities we have 24 credit points a semester for two semesters as a full-time load. A half-subject is 3 credit points: they are usually half the number of contact hours and work of a full subject.

eddotman said:
Taking extra courses doesn't always equate to wanting to rush through school. Some people just like learning! :D

That's very true. I'm currently taking 19 credits in junior college right now.

Intermediate Algebra
Stellar Astronomy
Physics 110
Philosophy & Ethics
Spanish Civilization

Not too bad for a 27 year old firefighter who's been laid off three times in two states due to budget cuts. Time to go after my passion of science and learn as much as I can!

Complex Analysis
Real Analysis
Vector Calculus
Quantum (graduate in a chemistry department so advanced ungraduate)
Writing class...

<h2>1. What courses are typically offered next semester?</h2><p>The courses offered each semester may vary based on the specific university or program. However, most universities will offer a range of courses in various subjects such as math, science, literature, and social sciences.</p><h2>2. How do I know which courses to take next semester?</h2><p>It is important to consult with your academic advisor or department to determine which courses are required for your major or program. They can also provide guidance on which courses may be beneficial for your academic and career goals.</p><h2>3. Can I take courses outside of my major next semester?</h2><p>Many universities allow students to take courses outside of their major, often referred to as electives. These courses can provide a well-rounded education and may count towards general education requirements.</p><h2>4. Are there any prerequisites for the courses I want to take next semester?</h2><p>Some courses may have prerequisites, which are previous courses that must be completed before enrolling. It is important to check the course catalog or speak with your academic advisor to ensure you meet any prerequisites before enrolling.</p><h2>5. How many courses should I take next semester?</h2><p>The number of courses you should take will depend on your personal schedule, workload, and academic goals. It is important to consider your other commitments and responsibilities before deciding on the number of courses to take. Your academic advisor can also provide guidance on a suitable course load.</p>

1. What courses are typically offered next semester?

The courses offered each semester may vary based on the specific university or program. However, most universities will offer a range of courses in various subjects such as math, science, literature, and social sciences.

2. How do I know which courses to take next semester?

It is important to consult with your academic advisor or department to determine which courses are required for your major or program. They can also provide guidance on which courses may be beneficial for your academic and career goals.

3. Can I take courses outside of my major next semester?

Many universities allow students to take courses outside of their major, often referred to as electives. These courses can provide a well-rounded education and may count towards general education requirements.

4. Are there any prerequisites for the courses I want to take next semester?

Some courses may have prerequisites, which are previous courses that must be completed before enrolling. It is important to check the course catalog or speak with your academic advisor to ensure you meet any prerequisites before enrolling.

5. How many courses should I take next semester?

The number of courses you should take will depend on your personal schedule, workload, and academic goals. It is important to consider your other commitments and responsibilities before deciding on the number of courses to take. Your academic advisor can also provide guidance on a suitable course load.