Recommended Books for Self-Study in Signal Processing

In summary, there are a variety of books available for self-study on signal processing, but no single book covers all subfields. Some focus on mathematical theory while others cover implementations and applications. It is recommended to have a strong background in signals and systems before delving into specific signal processing topics. Some suggested books are "Digital Signal Processing: A Practical Guide for Engineers and Scientists" by Steven W. Smith, "Discrete-Time Signal Processing" by Oppenheim, and "Signals and Systems" by Alan V. Oppenheim. Additionally, "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" by Richard G. Lyons is a good resource for digital signal processing. For analogue signal processing, "Signals and Systems" by Alan V. Oppenheim and "Scha
wukunlin
Gold Member
Is there any recommended books for signal processing for self study? Or like a reference book covering most fields?
my final bachelor year has been filled with prescribed papers but I'm thinking I will need to be familiar with signal processing.

At the moment I am looking "Digital Signal Processing: A Practical Guide for Engineers and Scientists" by Steven W. Smith. But I also want something for analogue signal processing.

Physics news on Phys.org
wukunlin,

"signal processing" is a pretty generic term: it includes discrete and continuous, deterministic, adaptive, statistical estimation and detection theory, single and multi-dimensional signals, etc. Some books focus on mathematical theory, some go into great depth on ultra-efficient implementations, some focus on applicatoins, etc. I know of no book that covers all of this.

What is your background? Are you an electrical engineering major? If not, have you at least taken a standard "signals and systems" course that covers discrete and continuous signals, systems, and transforms?

Also, when you say analog signal processing, are you talking about theoretical aspects or down to nitty gritty circuit design?

Jason

Last edited:
Hi Jason, thanks for the reply

I was considering the same problem when posting, seeing a whole pile of subfields of signal processing. I think for self study I would probably just focus on the mathematical side of things.

I am currently studying a degree involving laser physics and electrical engineering, which will eventually lead to optical fibre communications. The courses I've taken have cover some basic ( < 3 orders) filters and things like convolution, FFT, Z transform, Laplace transform.

The analogue signal processing I was thinking is mainly about the theoretical aspects and mathematical models of circuit components for continuous signals.

If I have to pick a few subfields to study on, filtering and modulation are what I am already familiar with and probably something I would use the most.

I used Oppenheim's Discrete-Time Signal Processing in my signals processing course. It is a DSP classic but I studied mainly from my professor's lecture notes which were based on the book.
It covers all the standard stuff you'd expect: sampling and reconstruction, DFT, Z-transform, FFT, filter design, etc.

I don't recall it having anything on stochastic signals and filtering (like kalman filter etc).

thanks discoversci, may I ask if there are equivalent (or close to) books for analogue signals? or is there no point to study them so extensively in this day and age?

wukunlin said:
thanks discoversci, may I ask if there are equivalent (or close to) books for analogue signals? or is there no point to study them so extensively in this day and age?

To be honest, I've never explicitly needed analog wise books in my studies. I get the impression that a proper keyword for searching books that you need should be "signals and systems". There are lots of them available, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1584503815/?tag=pfamazon01-20. It also depends if you prefer scientific or engineering approach and how deep you actually want to go. Mr Google will tell you more. Take your time. I've been there, done that :smile:

Proakis book is the Bibble but hard to understand.
The simplest and most intuitive i found is understanding digital signal processing but its for digital only

1. What is signal processing?

Signal processing is a branch of engineering that deals with the analysis, modification, and extraction of information from signals. It involves mathematical and computational methods to improve the quality of signals and extract useful information from them.

2. What are some common applications of signal processing in books?

Signal processing is used in various applications in books, such as speech recognition, image and video processing, audio and music processing, and data compression. It is also commonly used in e-readers to enhance the reading experience and in digital libraries for efficient storage and retrieval of books.

3. What types of signals are typically encountered in books?

The most common types of signals encountered in books are audio signals (such as speech and music), image signals (such as photos and illustrations), and text signals (such as letters and words). Other types of signals may include video, biometric, and sensor signals.

4. How does signal processing improve the reading experience in books?

Signal processing can improve the reading experience in books by enhancing the quality of audio, images, and text. For example, it can remove background noise from an audio recording, sharpen and enhance images, and correct errors in text. This can make the reading experience more enjoyable and easier to understand.

5. What are some challenges in signal processing for books?

Some challenges in signal processing for books include dealing with noisy and low-quality signals, maintaining the integrity and accuracy of information, and adapting to new and emerging technologies. Additionally, there may be challenges in developing algorithms and techniques that are efficient and suitable for processing various types of signals encountered in books.