Series solution, second order diff. eq.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution to a differential equation of the form x^4y''+2x^3y'-y=0 by using a series expansion of the form \sum_0^{\infty}a_nx^{-n}. The conversation also includes a mistake in the calculation and a correction to the recurrence relation.
Telemachus
Hi there. I have this differential equation: [tex]x^4y''+2x^3y'-y=0[/tex]
And I have to find one solution of the form: [tex]\sum_0^{\infty}a_nx^{-n},x>0[/tex]
So I have:
[tex]y(x)=\sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^{-n}[/tex]
[tex]y'(x)=\sum_1^{\infty}(-n) a_n x^{-n-1}[/tex]
[tex]y''(x)=\sum_2^{\infty}(-n)(-n-1) a_n x^{-n-2}[/tex]

Then, replacing in the diff. eq.
[tex]x^4\sum_2^{\infty}(-n)(-n-1) a_n x^{-n-2}+2x^3\sum_1^{\infty}(-n) a_n x^{-n-1}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^{-n}=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_2^{\infty}(-n)(-n-1) a_n x^{-n+2}+2\sum_1^{\infty}(-n) a_n x^{-n+2}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_n x^{-n}=0[/tex]
Expanding the first term for the second summation, and using k=n-2->n=k+2 for the first and the second sum:
[tex]-\sum_0^{\infty}(k+2)(k+3) a_{k+2} x^{-k}-2a_1x-2\sum_0^{\infty}(k+2) a_n x^{-k}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_k x^{-k}=0[/tex]
[tex]-\sum_0^{\infty}x^{-k} \left [ (k+2)(k+4) a_{k+2} +a_k \right ]=0[/tex]
Then:
[tex]-2a_1=0\rightarrow a_1=0[/tex]
[tex]a_{k+2}=\frac{-a_k}{(k+2)(k+4)}[/tex]

After trying some terms I get for the recurrence relation:
[tex]a_{2n}=\frac{(-1)^n a_0}{2^{2n}(n+1)!n!}[/tex]
And
[tex]a_{2n+1}=0\forall n[/tex]

So then I have one solution:
[tex]y(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n a_0}{2^{2n}(n+1)!n!}x^{-2n}[/tex]

Now, I think this is wrong, but I don't know where I've committed the mistake.

I hoped to find a series expansion for [tex]cosh(1/x)[/tex] or [tex]sinh(1/x)[/tex] because wolframalpha gives the solution:
[tex]y(x)=c_1 cosh(1/x)-ic_2 sinh(1/x)[/tex]
For the differential equation (you can check it here)
Would you help me to find the mistake in here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. I've found a mistake there.

[tex]-\sum_0^{\infty}(k+2)(k+3) a_{k+2} x^{-k}-2a_1x \color{red} - \color{red} 2\sum_0^{\infty}(k+2) a_n x^{-k} -\sum_0^{\infty}a_k x^{-k}=0[/tex]

So this gives:
[tex]-\sum_0^{\infty}x^{-k} \left [ (k+2)(k+5) a_{k+2} +a_k \right ]=0[/tex]

And the recurrence formula:
[tex]a_{k+2}=\frac{-a_k}{(k+2)(k+5)}[/tex]

It's worse now, because I couldn't even find the recurrence relation.

Hi Telemachus! :smile:

Always check the minuses first …

Telemachus said:
Expanding the first term for the second summation, and using k=n-2->n=k+2 for the first and the second sum:
[tex]-\sum_0^{\infty}(k+2)(k+3) a_{k+2} x^{-k}-2a_1x-2\sum_0^{\infty}(k+2) a_n x^{-k}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_k x^{-k}=0[/tex]
[tex]-\sum_0^{\infty}x^{-k} \left [ (k+2)(k+4) a_{k+2} +a_k \right ]=0[/tex]

should be …
[tex]\sum_0^{\infty}(k+2)(k+3) a_{k+2} x^{-k}-2a_1x-2\sum_0^{\infty}(k+2) a_n x^{-k}-\sum_0^{\infty}a_k x^{-k}=0[/tex]
[tex]-\sum_0^{\infty}x^{-k} \left [ (k+2)(k+1) a_{k+2} +a_k \right ]=0[/tex]
:wink:

Aw, you're right! thank you very much. Didn't noticed that I had (-1)^2 :p

Last edited:

Hello! Thank you for sharing your work on solving this second order differential equation using a series solution. Your approach looks correct, but there are a few things that may have caused some confusion.

Firstly, in your initial solution for y(x), you have used x^-n as the exponent for each term. However, in the differential equation, the exponent should be -n+2. So your solution should be y(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n x^{-n+2}.

Secondly, in your recurrence relation, you have used a_{k+2} and a_k, but these should actually be a_{n+2} and a_n, since you are using n as the index for the summation. This will change the values you get for a_{2n} and a_{2n+1}.

Finally, the solution given by WolframAlpha uses hyperbolic functions, while your solution is using a combination of powers and factorials. This is because the differential equation given has two distinct roots, which is why there are two solutions. Your solution is the one for the root x=0, while the other solution is for the root x=-1. This is why you are getting a different result from WolframAlpha.

To find the other solution, you can use a similar approach, but with a different initial value for a_0. Alternatively, you can use the Wronskian method to find the second solution.

I hope this helps clarify things and good luck with your work!

1. What is a series solution for a second order differential equation?

A series solution for a second order differential equation is a method of finding a solution by representing the unknown function as an infinite series of simpler functions. This allows for an approximate solution to be found, which can then be refined to improve accuracy.

2. How does the series solution method work?

The series solution method works by substituting the series representation of the unknown function into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients of each term in the series. This results in a recursive relationship between the coefficients, which can be used to find an approximation for the solution.

3. When is the series solution method useful?

The series solution method is useful when an exact solution to a differential equation cannot be found or when it is difficult to solve using other methods. It is also useful for obtaining an approximate solution when the exact solution is not needed.

4. What are some limitations of the series solution method?

One limitation of the series solution method is that it is only applicable to certain types of differential equations, such as linear homogeneous equations with constant coefficients. It also requires a significant amount of computation and may not always converge to the exact solution.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the series solution method?

Yes, the series solution method is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as in modeling physical systems, analyzing data, and solving differential equations that arise in mathematical physics. It is also used in areas such as finance and biology to model complex systems and make predictions.