Suspension cable statics calculus problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the tension in a rope at two points, A and B, based on given equations and diagrams. The conversation includes a discussion of using the correct units and vector addition to find the resultant forces at each point. The conversation also briefly mentions a project involving creating a gripper, which is still in progress.
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track. :)

You have 1 equation for point A.
Can you make another equation for point B?

You're on the right track. :)

I like you saying this lately :)

You have 1 equation for point A.
Can you make another equation for point B?

Oohhh...

Am I still on the right track?

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/640/x2x2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Femme_physics said:
I like you saying this lately :)

:cool:

Oohhh...

Am I still on the right track?

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/640/x2x2.jpg

I'm afraid that in the 2nd line you lost ##F_H##.

And btw, you're using 15000 [lb] for ##w_0##, but ##w_0## is given to be 600 [lb/ft].

I like Serena said:
I'm afraid that in the 2nd line you lost ##F_H##.
You mean purely because of math?

And btw, you're using 15000 [lb] for ##w_0##, but ##w_0## is given to be 600 [lb/ft].

I see what you mean, since I don't know the length in each sectioning I can't use it like that. I'll jus use 600, with the units lb/ft. Yes?

Femme_physics said:
You mean purely because of math?

Yes.

I see what you mean, since I don't know the length in each sectioning I can't use it like that. I'll jus use 600, with the units lb/ft. Yes?

Yes.

Femme_physics said:
I got it. My friend helped me with the math (the one who's registered as "niece of MD") :)

We use X2 since the length can't be more than 25. Therefor we use FH2 as well.

Aha! So she does still do something every now and then! :)If you're interested, I have a shorter version:
##20 x^2 = 30 (25 - x)^2##
##2 x^2 = 3 (25 - x)^2##

Since x and (25 - x) are both positive distances, we can take the square root and keep the positive versions:
##x \sqrt 2 = (25 - x) \sqrt 3##
##x \sqrt 2 = 25 \sqrt 3 - x \sqrt 3##
##x (\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3) = 25 \sqrt 3##
##x = \frac {25 \sqrt 3} {\sqrt 2 + \sqrt 3} \approx 13.76##
But my big problem is relating the distance, w0 and FH, to A and B.

I end up with this diagram...

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2168/relatings.jpg

Looks good.
But consider that the tensional force is not pointing down, but along the rope.

Since they ask for the tension in the rope in A and in B, you need that
##F_V = {dy \over dx} \cdot F_H##

Femme_physics said:
I think I got it, but I don't know what to make out of Fv as far as each of the reaction forces at A and B.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6919/dydx.jpg

You have the result Fv for point B here.
Good.
Oh, but the unit is lb, and not l/ft.

On support B you have the horizontal force Fh and this vertical force Fv.
So what's the total force?

Don't you need to add those vectorially? (or did I miss something as I skimmed down through the solution?)

BTW, how did your gripper project turn out?

Ya know wee go n bada bing, bada boom n we ah atta thereah...day won't know that OldEngr63 hit um!

(You're not supposed to simply add up forces that are perpendicular to each other. ;)

Ohhhhhhh Ok gotcha, now it makes perfect sense :)

I need to find the resultant vector for each! *smacks forehead*

So

(CALCULATION ATTACHED)

Rb = 9086 lb

Ra = 7735 lb

BADABING BADABOOM I said! :)
BTW, how did your gripper project turn out?

Very, very, SLOWwwww... because of the teacher, not us. We're on our passover holiday right now. And I did eventually use a gripper's PDF guide to get ideas, and basically our main idea is a double-threaded spindle. But, right now, we're still awaiting orders and formulas.

Attachments

• raandrb.jpg
    raandrb.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 464
Thank you.

No, thank YOU! a lot. :)

1. What is a suspension cable statics calculus problem?

A suspension cable statics calculus problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a suspension cable, such as those used in bridges or suspension bridges. This type of problem typically requires the use of calculus to solve.

2. What factors affect the stability of a suspension cable?

The stability of a suspension cable is affected by several factors, including the weight and length of the cable, the weight and distribution of the load being supported, and the angle at which the cable is anchored to its supports. Other factors, such as temperature and wind, can also impact the stability of the cable.

3. How is calculus used in solving a suspension cable statics problem?

Calculus is used in solving a suspension cable statics problem by analyzing the forces acting on the cable and calculating the resulting tension and deflection of the cable. This requires the use of calculus concepts, such as integrals and derivatives, to determine the maximum load that the cable can support without breaking.

4. What are the different types of suspension cable configurations?

There are several types of suspension cable configurations, including simple suspension cables, which are anchored at both ends, and continuous suspension cables, which are anchored at multiple points along their length. Other types include parallel suspension cables, where multiple cables are used to support a load, and trussed suspension cables, which use a combination of suspension and tension cables for added stability.

5. How are real-world factors, such as cable elasticity, taken into account in suspension cable statics problems?

In suspension cable statics problems, real-world factors, such as cable elasticity, are taken into account by using appropriate equations and formulas that consider the material properties of the cable. These factors can affect the tension and deflection of the cable, and must be accounted for in order to accurately solve the problem.