Stepped on a very long upholstery tack

• Medical
  • Thread starter mastersons751
  • Start date
In summary: If you have a history of MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) or your tetanus shots are not up to date, you need to see a doctor.In summary, the speaker stepped on a rusty upholstery tack that caused a deep puncture wound and became increasingly painful throughout the day. They went to the ER where they received treatment including a tetanus shot, pain medication, and antibiotics. However, they are still experiencing pain and feeling weak and nauseous. It is recommended that they see a doctor as there may be signs of infection.
mastersons751
Yesterday morning, I stepped on a very long upholstery tack that was totally rusty and disgusting. It went in so deep that I had to have someone remove it for me and it bled because it was such a deep puncture wound. It hurt like crazy but was bearable. It went in right underneath my 2nd smallest toe. The later the day went on. the more extreme the pain became. Finally at 12:30 this morning, I had to have my husband take me to the ER because it was so swollen, I couldn't stand ANY pressure on it and I had red lines going up the top of my foot and lower leg. The hospital gave me a tetnus shot, a shot of pain medication, an oral antibiotic and a shot that hurt like crazy that was also an antibiotic. Today, my foot feels a lot better but still hurts, but I feel so weak and nauseated. Does anyone know why and know what I should do?

Biology news on Phys.org

This isn't what the Suggestion link is for. It's for suggesting changes to the forum. Also, people are not allowed to give out medical advice on this forum.

And, just in case you didn't look closely enough, this is not a physicians forum.

Last edited:

Lol Borg!

Masterson, go to a doctor.

mastersons751 said:
Yesterday morning, I stepped on a very long upholstery tack that was totally rusty and disgusting. It went in so deep that I had to have someone remove it for me and it bled because it was such a deep puncture wound. It hurt like crazy but was bearable. It went in right underneath my 2nd smallest toe. The later the day went on. the more extreme the pain became. Finally at 12:30 this morning, I had to have my husband take me to the ER because it was so swollen, I couldn't stand ANY pressure on it and I had red lines going up the top of my foot and lower leg. The hospital gave me a tetnus shot, a shot of pain medication, an oral antibiotic and a shot that hurt like crazy that was also an antibiotic. Today, my foot feels a lot better but still hurts, but I feel so weak and nauseated. Does anyone know why and know what I should do?
'Red lines' is not a good sign. Definitely see a doctor. Besides tetanus (Clostridium tetani), there is the possibility of a staph (Staphylococcus) infection, which in the blood stream could produce septicemia or sepsis.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your painful experience with the upholstery tack. It is important to seek medical attention for puncture wounds, especially if they are deep and become swollen and infected. The rusty nature of the tack could have introduced bacteria into your wound, leading to the need for antibiotics to prevent further infection. The tetanus shot was also a necessary precaution, as rusty objects can often carry the tetanus bacteria. As for feeling weak and nauseated, this could be due to the pain medication and antibiotics you received, as well as the stress and pain your body has gone through. I would recommend resting and drinking plenty of fluids to help your body recover. If the weakness and nausea persist, it would be best to consult with your doctor. Take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

1. How should I treat a puncture wound from stepping on a long upholstery tack?

If the wound is deep or bleeding heavily, seek medical attention immediately. Otherwise, clean the wound with soap and water, apply an antibiotic ointment, and cover with a bandage. Keep an eye out for signs of infection, such as redness, swelling, or pain.

2. Should I remove the tack from my foot after stepping on it?

If you can see the tack and it is not too deeply embedded, you can carefully remove it with clean tweezers. However, if the tack is deep or difficult to remove, seek medical help to avoid causing further damage.

3. What are the potential risks of stepping on a long upholstery tack?

The most common risk is infection, as the tack may introduce bacteria into the wound. Additionally, if the tack is rusty or dirty, you may be at risk for tetanus. In rare cases, a puncture wound from a tack can cause damage to tendons, ligaments, or nerves.

4. How can I prevent stepping on a long upholstery tack in the future?

To prevent stepping on a tack, make sure to keep your floors and furniture free of loose tacks or nails. If you work with tacks frequently, wear shoes with thick soles and be cautious when handling them. In general, being aware of your surroundings and regularly checking for hazards can help prevent accidents.

5. When should I seek medical attention for a puncture wound from a tack?

If the wound is deep, located on a joint or sensitive area (such as the hand or foot), or shows signs of infection, it is best to seek medical attention. Additionally, if the tack was dirty or rusty, you may need a tetanus shot. It is always better to err on the side of caution and consult a medical professional for proper treatment.