When to use HYBRIdiZED ORBITAL?

• Thread starter kougou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbital
In summary: You sound like you are talking to a computer.In summary, the text says that we don't need to use hybridized orbitals, but other people say that we do. I would go with what the text says.
kougou
Hi.

I am wondering when should we use hybridized orbital?
For PH3, we don't use hybridized orbital because it could be described by the valence shell method.
The valence shell orbital diagram:
p: [Ne] 3s:up down 3p: up up up

And we have 3 up. so the 3 extra electrons from hydrogen could fit into there. Therefore we don't need hybridized orbital.
But when do we need it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You most need it in the case of tetravalent carbon to get four equivalent bonds using valence bond theory. Most other molecules like NH3, H2O etc. can be described well using only their p-orbitals in bonding.

Last edited by a moderator:
kougou said:
Hi.

I am wondering when should we use hybridized orbital?
For PH3, we don't use hybridized orbital because it could be described by the valence shell method.
The valence shell orbital diagram:
p: [Ne] 3s:up down 3p: up up up

And we have 3 up. so the 3 extra electrons from hydrogen could fit into there. Therefore we don't need hybridized orbital.
But when do we need it?

Surely we do need hybridized orbitals. The classical Lewis structure is not true at quantum level, the bonding angle between the overlapping electronic probability clouds is not 90deg as predicted by the classical Lewis structure, but approx. 107deg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonal_pyramidal_molecular_geometry

dextercioby said:
Surely we do need hybridized orbitals. The classical Lewis structure is not true at quantum level, the bonding angle between the overlapping electronic probability clouds is not 90deg as predicted by the classical Lewis structure, but approx. 107deg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonal_pyramidal_molecular_geometry

That the angle is off from 90 deg, does not mean that you have to use hybrid orbitals, especially in molecules like PH3 where the radii of the s and p orbitals on Phosphorus are too different to make useful hybrids. The bond angle in PH3 is only 93.5 deg.

DrDu said:
That the angle is off from 90 deg, does not mean that you have to use hybrid orbitals, especially in molecules like PH3 where the radii of the s and p orbitals on Phosphorus are too different to make useful hybrids. The bond angle in PH3 is only 93.5 deg.

Hi. I just googled it. Most ppl from the web said for PH3, you will have sp3 hybri orbital, but then from the text, it clearly identify that it doesn't need to use hybri orbital.
So, what do you think?

Can I go wrong if I assume everything will use hybri orbital?

kougou said:
Hi. I just googled it.

Then why do you ask?

DrDu said:
Then why do you ask?

No. I mean. I still unclear whether it should use hybri or not.
The text says no.
Other ppl say yes.

People may say whatever they want. I would go for a textbook over some 'hearsay' on the (free) internet. :rolleyes:

And please, make an effort to write <people>.

1. What are hybridized orbitals?

Hybridized orbitals are a combination of atomic orbitals that occur when atoms bond together to form a molecule. This process is known as hybridization and results in the formation of new orbitals with different shapes and energies.

2. How are hybridized orbitals used in chemistry?

Hybridized orbitals are used to explain the bonding and geometry of molecules. They help to predict the shape and properties of molecules, as well as their reactivity and chemical behavior.

3. When should hybridized orbitals be used instead of atomic orbitals?

Hybridized orbitals should be used when describing the bonding in molecules that cannot be explained by using only atomic orbitals. This includes molecules with double or triple bonds, as well as molecules with lone pairs of electrons.

4. What are the advantages of using hybridized orbitals?

Using hybridized orbitals allows for a more accurate description of molecular structure and bonding. It also makes it easier to understand and predict the properties and reactivity of molecules, as well as their shapes and bond angles.

5. Are there any limitations to using hybridized orbitals?

While hybridized orbitals are a useful tool in explaining molecular structure and bonding, they are not always an exact representation of the true electronic structure of a molecule. Additionally, the concept of hybridization is not applicable to all molecules and can be a simplified explanation for more complex bonding situations.