My AA batteries short circuited, ruined?

In summary, the Fisher-Price baby swing uses 1.5 volt D-cell batteries. When converted to a 6 volt DC power system, the batteries did not work correctly. The swing became more noisy and did not swing. The 6 volt power system should be able to provide up to 1.5 or 2.0 amps of current.
Jarfi
I had 4 1.2 volt guys lying around in a holder. The 2 wires sticking out were lying around and I started smelling stuff. I look down and I see they are connected together and the steel points seem to be slightly melting together, the batteries were hot, did it damage them or is this okay?

Engineering news on Phys.org
its probably damaged them
ie. they have probably gone flat or close to it

you need to be more careful with batteries and wires like that
its how fires can startDave

davenn said:
its probably damaged them
ie. they have probably gone flat or close to it

you need to be more careful with batteries and wires like that
its how fires can start

Dave

Yep, obviously they went flat. I wouldn't really care if they were normal AA batteries, I'd just buy new ones. BUT those are high grade rechargable batteries, so I can always charge them again.

I was simply wondering if it had damaged or lessened the maximum capacity by going over some sort of heat tolerance limit, maybe the heat started some chemical changes that may have damaged the capacity. That was simply what I was wondering about. Buying 4 rechargable batteries is kind of expensive for a student like me.

The batteries will have a pressure relief system to reduce the risk of them exploding if they overheat. That should re-seal itself when they cool down, but you lose some of the contents of the electrolyte, e.g. water that is boiled off as steam. That will permanently reduce the charge capacity of the batteries, and increase the internal resistance, so they maximum current they can deliver is reduced and they will get hotter at normal charging and discharging rates.

If the battery cases are not obviously distorted, I would try recharging them before you throw them away. But don't use them for anything critical in case they start to leak, or they self-discharge faster than they are supposed to.

AlephZero said:
The batteries will have a pressure relief system to reduce the risk of them exploding if they overheat. That should re-seal itself when they cool down, but you lose some of the contents of the electrolyte, e.g. water that is boiled off as steam. That will permanently reduce the charge capacity of the batteries, and increase the internal resistance, so they maximum current they can deliver is reduced and they will get hotter at normal charging and discharging rates.

If the battery cases are not obviously distorted, I would try recharging them before you throw them away. But don't use them for anything critical in case they start to leak, or they self-discharge faster than they are supposed to.

UPdate. I have tried recharging them and am now waiting to see what happens, I tried them before that and there was no charge left. Now they are getting scarily hot, not sure if they did before but I think it's probably a bad sign.

Any time any battery gets too hot while charging is the time to disconnect and throw them in the battery recycling bin after they cool down. They have an internal short which makes them worthless.

Hi
I have a fisher price baby swing. It has 4 1.5v batteries of size D. I tried to convert it to a 6v DC charger but that didn't work. The charger specification is output=400mA 2.4VA. If someone can help me please to find a right charger as this doesn't work correctly and swing does not swing as swings with the batteries. Swing becomes more noisy and does not swing.

1. What causes a short circuit in AA batteries?

A short circuit in AA batteries can be caused by several factors, such as overcharging, physical damage, or mixing old and new batteries. When the positive and negative terminals of a battery come into contact, it creates a short circuit, causing the battery to discharge rapidly and potentially damaging it.

2. How do I know if my AA batteries have short circuited?

If your AA batteries have short circuited, you may notice the battery becoming hot to the touch, leaking, or bulging. You may also experience a decrease in battery life or complete failure of the battery. In extreme cases, a short circuit can lead to a battery explosion, so it's important to handle damaged batteries with caution.

3. Can a short circuited AA battery be fixed?

Unfortunately, a short circuited AA battery cannot be fixed. Once a battery has short circuited, it has likely been damaged beyond repair and should be disposed of properly. Attempting to use a short circuited battery can be dangerous and may cause further damage.

4. How can I prevent my AA batteries from short circuiting?

To prevent short circuits in AA batteries, it's important to handle them carefully and avoid mixing old and new batteries in the same device. Be sure to use the correct type and size of batteries for your device, and avoid overcharging them. It's also a good idea to inspect your batteries regularly for any signs of damage or leakage.

5. What should I do if my AA batteries have short circuited?

If your AA batteries have short circuited, it's important to handle them with caution and dispose of them properly. Do not attempt to use the damaged batteries or mix them with new batteries. If the short circuit has caused any damage to your device, it's best to have it checked by a professional before using it again.