Unraveling the Meaning of l' = l + $\alpha$a

• Thread starter Warr
  • Start date
In summary, the equation l' = l + \alpha\,a, where \alpha is the order of unity, means that \alpha is a number close to 1. If you know the precise values of l and a, you can give a value to l' based on this equation.
Warr
While reading a physics text, I came across an equation
[tex]l' = l + \alpha\,a[/tex], where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the order of unity. What exactly does this phrase mean (ie if I knew l and a, what would [tex]\alpha[/tex] be?)
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Warr said:
While reading a physics text, I came across an equation
[tex]l' = l + \alpha\,a[/tex], where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the order of unity. What exactly does this phrase mean (ie if I knew l and a, what would [tex]\alpha[/tex] be?)
thanks

Guess what was written was " is of order unity", no ?

It means that [itex] \alpha[/itex] is a number that is not very far from 1, say 2 or 3 or so. Not 12352.0 and not 0.00002345.

Yes, that is exactly what was written.
so if I am doing a calculation based on this statement, what could I give the value of l' to be assuming I knew the precise values of l and a?

1. What is the meaning of "l' = l + $\alpha$a"?

The equation "l' = l + $\alpha$a" is a mathematical expression used to represent the change in length of an object. The l' represents the final or changed length, l represents the initial length, $\alpha$ represents the coefficient of thermal expansion, and a represents the change in temperature.

2. How is the equation "l' = l + $\alpha$a" used in scientific research?

The equation "l' = l + $\alpha$a" is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to understand the effects of temperature on the size and shape of objects. It can also be used in experiments to measure the coefficient of thermal expansion of various materials.

3. Can you provide an example of how the equation "l' = l + $\alpha$a" is applied in real life?

An example of how this equation is applied in real life is in the construction of bridges. Engineers use this equation to determine the amount of expansion joints needed in a bridge to allow for the expansion and contraction of the metal due to temperature changes.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of thermal expansion in the equation "l' = l + $\alpha$a"?

The coefficient of thermal expansion (represented by $\alpha$) is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts when its temperature changes. It is an important factor in determining the change in length of an object due to temperature. Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, which can affect the structural integrity of buildings and machines.

5. Are there any limitations to the equation "l' = l + $\alpha$a"?

While the equation "l' = l + $\alpha$a" is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the effects of temperature on objects, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the coefficient of thermal expansion remains constant over a wide range of temperatures, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as stress or strain that may affect the length of an object.