Gamma function for mathphys course

In summary, to solve the given problem using the gamma function, we first need to rewrite the integral as \Gamma(s) for some value of s. Then, using known properties of the gamma function, we can find the value of s that makes the integral match the given one. In this case, s = 3/2, and we can use the functional equation of the gamma function to find the exact value of \Gamma(3/2) without the need for tables.
relatively_me
The given problem is this:

Solve using the gamma function

[itex]\int_0^{\infty}\sqrt{x}\exp{^{-x}}{ dx}[/itex]My problem is that I don't know how to use the gamma function. It doesn't make sense to me...any insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what's wrong with my code...the upper limit should be

[itex]\infty[/itex]

The gamma function can be defined as
[tex]
\Gamma(z) = \int^\infty_0 x^{z-1} e^{-x} \, dx,
[/tex]
so find the value z that makes this integral look like yours. I assume this is what is meant by "solve using the gamma function". You can then look up the result in a table.

You might want to review what you do know about the gamma function.

You should be able to write that integral as Gamma(s) for some value of s. What properties of Gamma do you know? Have you evaluated Gamma at any non-integral points before?

Hint: [tex]\int_0^{\infty}\sqrt{x}\exp{^{-x}}{ dx}=\int_0^{\infty}x^{\frac{3}{2}-1}\exp{^{-x}}{ dx}[/tex]

Well, if z=3/2, then, according to the table I found,

[tex]
\Gamma(\frac{3}{2}) = \int_0^{\infty}x^{\frac{3}{2}-1}\exp{^{-x}}{ dx} = 8.386226 \times 10^{-1}
[/tex]

Thanks for your help...much appreciated...

No need for tables, you can find [tex]\Gamma(3/2)[/tex] exactly with the relation:

[tex]\Gamma(s)\Gamma(1-s)=\frac{\pi}{\sin \pi s}[/tex]

and the functional equation of gamma

1. What is the Gamma function and what is it used for?

The Gamma function is a mathematical function that extends the factorial function to complex and real numbers. It is often used in areas such as statistics, physics, and engineering to calculate probabilities, integrals, and other mathematical operations.

2. How is the Gamma function calculated?

The Gamma function is calculated using the Euler's integral formula, which is an infinite integral involving an exponential function and a power function. It can also be calculated using series expansions or numerical methods.

3. What are the key properties of the Gamma function?

The Gamma function has several important properties, including the fact that it is a continuous and smooth function, it has a singularity at zero, and it follows a logarithmic growth pattern for large values of its argument.

4. What is the relationship between the Gamma function and the factorial function?

The Gamma function is closely related to the factorial function, as it extends the factorial function to non-integer values. For positive integer values, the Gamma function and the factorial function have the same values, but for non-integer values, the Gamma function provides a more generalized solution.

5. How is the Gamma function used in physics and engineering?

The Gamma function is used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving probability distributions, such as the normal distribution and the chi-square distribution. It is also used in calculating integrals in quantum mechanics and in solving differential equations in engineering applications.