Springs, Restoring Force, and Hooke's Law

In summary, the problem involves a 10.1 kg uniform board wedged into a corner and held by a spring at a 50.0 degree angle. The spring has a spring constant of 176 N/m and is parallel to the floor. The goal is to find the amount by which the spring is stretched from its unstrained length. In order to solve this, Hooke's equation is used, with F representing the force caused by gravity and k being 176 N/m. The issue is finding the horizontal component of the gravitational force, which can be solved by applying the law of static equilibrium for torques. After solving for F, the value of x is found to be 0.236 m.
xxdrossxx
I'm having some trouble with the following question:

A 10.1 kg uniform board is wedged into a corner and held by a spring at a 50.0 degree angle, as the drawing shows. The spring has a spring constant of 176 N/m and is parallel to the floor. Find the amount by which the spring is stretched from its unstrained length.
http://www.mattmaly.com/spring.jpg

Obviously I know to use Hooke's equation somewhere in this problem: [itex]F = -kx[/itex]

In the above equation, F = the force, caused by gravity, of the board pulling the spring horizontally, and k = 176 N/m as given. So, I need to find x, the length at which the spring is stretched.

What I'm having trouble with is finding the component of the gravitational force that is pulling the spring horizontally. My first instinct told me to try [itex]mg cos(50.0^o)[/itex], but I can see now that that's very wrong.

The answer in the back of the book is 0.236 m, but I can't seem to get that no matter what I do. Could anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This situation is a static equilibrium, so apply the corresponding law for the torques (ie their sum is zero).

Put the origin of the board on the bottom left side at the angle of 50°.

Call the length oof the board l (you don't need to know l)

Applying the law for static equilibrium yields :

[tex]\frac{l}{2}10.1*9.81*sin(40) = l*F*sin(50)[/tex]

Solve for F and F = 176x...You will find the x you need in meters.

marlon

Torques hadn't even crossed my mind. :rofl:

Thanks so much, Marlon. I completely understand it now.

1. What is a spring?

A spring is a mechanical device that is designed to store and release energy. It typically consists of a coiled piece of metal or other material that can be stretched or compressed.

2. What is the restoring force of a spring?

The restoring force of a spring is the force that brings it back to its original shape or position after it has been stretched or compressed. This force is directly proportional to the amount of deformation or displacement of the spring.

3. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a physical law that states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount of deformation or displacement of the spring. This means that the restoring force of a spring is directly proportional to how much it has been stretched or compressed.

4. How is Hooke's Law expressed mathematically?

Hooke's Law is expressed as F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement or deformation of the spring. This equation shows that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring.

5. How is Hooke's Law used in real-life applications?

Hooke's Law is used in many real-life applications, such as in springs used in car suspension systems, trampolines, and shock absorbers. It is also used in measuring devices like spring scales and force gauges. Additionally, Hooke's Law is used in materials testing to determine the elasticity and strength of different materials.