Determine the temperature of the blood/ Heat problem

In summary, blood can carry excess energy from the interior to the surface of the body where it is dispersed. During exercise, 0.6 kg of blood flows to the surface and releases 2000 J of energy. Assuming blood has the same specific heat capacity as water, the temperature of the blood that returns to the interior would be 36.388°C. The number 4186 represents the specific heat capacity of water, meaning it takes 4186 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1kg of water by 1 Kelvin (or 1°C). This is an experimental value that must be known or looked up.
iceT
Blood can carry excess energy from the interior to the surface of the body, where the energy is dispersed in a number of ways. While a person is exercising, 0.8 kg of blood flows to the surface of the body and releases 2050 J of energy. The blood arriving at the surface has the temperature of the body interior, 37.0°C. Assuming that blood has the same specific heat capacity as water, determine the temperature of the blood that leaves the surface and returns to the interior

ok..I know that DELTA T = Q/cm
Q= heat
since i don't have the heat..i had to find it...so i did this
Q=( CM ) ( DELTA T ) = ( 4186 ) ( .8 ) ( 37.0 °C - 15.0 °C )
= 73673.6 J

now I got the heat...so i can apply this formula to find the temperature..
DELTA T = Q/cm = 73673.6 / ( 4186 ) ( .8 ) = 22 °C
but still..i keep getting it wrong...:mad: :confused: ..does anyone knows what I am doing wrong ??..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
iceT said:
ok..I know that DELTA T = Q/cm
Q= heat
since i don't have the heat..i had to find it...so i did this
Q=( CM ) ( DELTA T ) = ( 4186 ) ( .8 ) ( 37.0 °C - 15.0 °C )
= 73673.6 J
What do you mean you don't have the heat? The problem stated: "0.8 kg of blood flows to the surface of the body and releases 2050 J of energy."

Where did you get the 15.0 °C ? (The final temperature of the blood is what you are trying to find.)

ok...so it should be
2050 / ( 4186 ) ( .8 ) = 0.612
BUT IT STILL WRONG...

ok..is it 37.612 ?

Last edited:
What did you get for the temperature of the cooled blood?

iceT said:
ok..is it 37.612 ?
You're getting closer... remember that heat is being removed from the blood.

Doc Al said:
You're getting closer... remember that heat is being removed from the blood.

36.388:biggrin:

thanx a lot Dr Al :smile: :approve:

Last edited:
I have a similar problem to this but I don't understand it. Where did you guys get the 4186?

(the problem I have is...Blood can carry excess energy from the interior to the surface of the body, where the energy is dispersed in a number of ways. While a person is exercising, 0.6 kg of blood flows to the surface of the body and releases 2000 J of energy. The blood arriving at the surface has the temperature of the body interior, 37.0°C. Assuming that blood has the same specific heat capacity as water, determine the temperature of the blood that leaves the surface and returns to the interior... so basically same thing, just different numbers)

ElikuAberts said:
Where did you guys get the 4186?
It's the specific heat capacity of water, it takes 4186J of energy to raise the temperature of 1kg of water through 1 Kelvin (or 1deg C).
You have to know/look this up, it's an experimental value.

Thank you, mgb_phys! I get it now! :smile:

What is the normal temperature of human blood?

The normal temperature of human blood is approximately 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 37 degrees Celsius.

How is the temperature of blood determined?

The temperature of blood is typically determined using a thermometer, either by inserting it into a blood vessel or by taking a reading from the surface of the skin.

Why is determining the temperature of blood important?

Determining the temperature of blood is important because it can provide important information about a person's health. Changes in blood temperature can indicate the presence of infection or other health conditions.

What factors can affect the temperature of blood?

Some factors that can affect the temperature of blood include physical activity, exposure to extreme temperatures, and certain medications or medical conditions.

What is the best way to measure the temperature of blood?

The best way to measure the temperature of blood is through a direct measurement using a thermometer. In some cases, a doctor may also use infrared imaging to get a reading of the skin's surface temperature.