College Where To Go For What I Want To Do?

• Schools
  • Thread starter SimplySolitary_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the conversation revolved around a student looking to apply to colleges and seeking advice on where to go for a degree in theoretical physics. Suggestions were given for schools such as MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley, and University of Chicago, with emphasis on the importance of essays and research for admissions. A student shared their experience of choosing a college and advised to thoroughly research potential schools. Another student inquired about the possibility of transferring from a local college to Carnegie Mellon and received advice on prestigious schools and resources for information.
SimplySolitary_
I hope - in the next one to two years - to be starting to apply to colleges. I'm having a hard time deciding where to go, and I'm wondering what's best.

I hope to end up with a degree in theoretical physics. I was thinking about MIT, but I'm not sure if they offer something like that.

So yes, my question is; any ideas? Money is no problem, and if all goes well, neither will requirements. I just want to go to a really good school.

:smile: Thanks in advance!
-SimplySolitary_

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally you just get a degree in physics, specialization comes after that. If requirements are actually not a problem... and i hope you really know what the requirements might be for a plac elike MIT... i would say MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley...

I have heard that University of Chicago is good for physics. Could someone confirm/deny this?

Pengwuino said:
Normally you just get a degree in physics, specialization comes after that. If requirements are actually not a problem... and i hope you really know what the requirements might be for a plac elike MIT... i would say MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Berkeley...

I know; serious requirment. But my knowledge - for my age - is most impressive, and I have a bit before college.
I was thinking Caltech as well! :) Merci!

SimplySolitary_ said:
I know; serious requirment. But my knowledge - for my age - is most impressive, and I have a bit before college.

Well knowledge or not, you need straight A's through high school and 1550+ SAT score (or whatever top 1% is in the new SAT system)

SimplySolitary_ said:

It's not the knowledge that's very important. The most that matters is your ESSAYS. If you have a brilliant essay, you can get in without almost any major awards and A grades. For example a person with no awards and an A grade got into Stanford mostly on the basis of his essays last year. And he was an international - an Indian where competition is all the more tougher.
If you have a dirt cheap essay, then I doubt even an A+ and a good collection of awards will help you.

Last edited:
I would recommend Caltech if you want to do Physics. Your other options would/should be MIT, Stanford, Berkeley. There's other schools as well that have pretty top notch professors in that stuff, but they don't really have the best "physics" program in general compared to these schools based on some basic online research. Nevertheless, those are my recommendations.

I just finished with my college admission (I am a senior). I have been interested in physics for about 9 years now. Making my decision was hard a first, but it all seemed to fit in the end.

I was accepted into MIT, Princeton, Rose-Hulman, UChicago, and Grinnell. My original dream was to go to MIT. However, once I did a little research, visited, and heard of some horror (teaching) stories about TAs and the like (along with my final fin. aid. decision) I decided not to go. Princeton was a little better, for they really focus on the undergrad pretty hard (whereas MIT is mostly Grad School). Rose-Hulman was a purely undergrad school that had great credentials. UChicago was a lot like Princeton, but less prestigeous. Grinnell was a lot like Rose-Hulman without the engineering, but with more of a liberal arts education.

I ended up choosing Grinnell (from a final pool of Princeton, Rose-Hulman, and Grinnell) because it was purely undergrad (more individual attention), a great Grad School placement, and a full-ride scholarship. Also, because of Grinnell's large endowment, they sponser paid research and internships for almost anything I could think of. Lastly, the professor are only professors (not researchers) and they do actually care about you. It ended up being an easy decision.

I write this because I am afraid that many people will say "Going to a prestigeous school doesn't matter for undergrad." There is some truth to that. However, there are also some things that many people overlook, like the opprotunities available at prestigeous universities and the level of education and drive that your peers will have. However, what is important is that you find the right place for you. I always thought MIT would be for me (it still is my goal for Grad School), but it became clear at the end of my college decision process.

The best advice that I could give to you is: research, really research, your college choices.

Paden Roder

Wow. A million thanks, Paden! :) I appreciate it. I'm actually considering now Carnegie Mellon for my undergrad, because its close to home and I've heard its a good school (Anyone care for confirm? I'd appreciate it... heh...).

Okay, so another question along the lines of this.
I'm a Freshman in HS right now, and I'm working on taking a placement test or something along those lines and placing out of high school. There's a local college, YSU (Youngstown State University), that I'll be able to get into (They have no standards. Hahah). I want to stay for the first semester, then transfer to CMU (Carnegie Mellon). Is that smart? If I get good grades, will I be able to transfer, or will I be stuck in the crappy college for the first year? Like, what I'm asking is will it totally ruin my college hopes altogether?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for being such an idiot, but I can't find anything about it online. :)

Okay, I'm late on this thread. Two months late. Anyhow, I'm sure you can still use the help.

As far as prestigious schools go, MIT, CalTech, Stanford, Berkeley, Princeton, or Harvard would probably be your best bets. Of course, you have to be top shelf to get in. UChicago also offers some great programs. I would recommend checking out their website. The Cosmic Variance blog would probably be a good stop as well. Another thing you should consider is some summer programs at colleges (Although, these are probably not available till the summer of your Junior year). I know MIT has one, and I would recommend looking around at the other schools websites.

Carnegie Mellon is also an amazing school, from what I've heard. I know nothing of any of their physics programs, however. I do know that they offer some of the best Computer Science courses around, though. I also think Padan pretty much summed it up in his last two paragraphs - and would highly insist on you following his advice.

I am not sure, however, on the college transfer aspect of your question. Although, I know if I had a choice I would probably rather not transfer and go straight for my goal, even if that meant lowing my standards a bit. That is just me, though.

All in all just work hard (and research everything...) and make sure your doing what you love. I'm sure you will do just fine. :wink:

What are the most important factors to consider when choosing a college?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a college are the location, size, academic programs, campus culture, and cost. It is important to find a college that offers the right balance of academics and extracurricular opportunities, as well as a location and environment that suits your needs and preferences.

How do I know which college is the best fit for my desired career path?

Researching the academic programs and alumni success rates of different colleges can help you determine which one is the best fit for your desired career path. You can also reach out to current students or alumni for their insights and experiences.

Do I need to attend a prestigious college to succeed in my career?

No, attending a prestigious college is not a guarantee of success in your career. What matters most is the effort and dedication you put into your education and career goals. There are many successful individuals who have graduated from less well-known colleges.

What resources are available to help me decide on a college?

There are many resources available to help you decide on a college, including college search websites, college fairs, campus visits, and guidance counselors. You can also talk to current students or alumni, as well as research the college's website and social media platforms.

Is it better to choose a college based on my interests or future job prospects?

It is important to find a balance between your interests and future job prospects when choosing a college. You want to select a college that offers academic programs and opportunities that align with your interests, but also prepares you for a successful career after graduation.