Deriving Magnetic Field of Two Parallel Wires on the X-Axis

In summary, the two wires produce two opposing magnetic fields at point P. The magnitude of the field is determined by the right hand rule, which uses the thumb pointing in the direction of the current and the hand curling around the wire to show the direction of the field. The direction of the field is determined by the x-coordinate of the point.
ovoleg
Hello guys. I just had a question about the below problem. I am not sure if this is right but more likely it is wrong. I have been trying this problem for an extensive period of time now. If anyone could help out I would greatly appreciate it.

Following the dashed lines I showed the work that I did to solve this.

Question: Figure below is an end view of two long, parallel wires perpendicular to the xy-plane. Each carries a current I, but in opposite directions. (X means into the mage and the dot is out of the page).

Derive the expression for the magnitude of B at any point on the x-axis in terms of the x-coordinate of the point. What is the direction of B?
Click on this link to view the picture I copied.

38648?db=v4net.gif
--------

This is what I tried~~~

By right hand rule the vector would be upward and both of the magnetic fields from the two wires will add.

The field due to a long, straight, current-carrying conductor is B=mu_0I/2(pi)r where r is the distance from the wire to the point P.

The distance there is r=sqrt(a^2+x^2) from both conductors. By using superposition and adding vectors we can find the field B.

Thus Btotal=B1+B2

B1=Mu_0*I/(2*pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2))
B2=Mu_0*I/(2*pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2))

B1+B2= 2*Mu_0*I/(2*pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2))
B1+B2= Mu_0*I/(pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2))

Is this not correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ovoleg said:
Hello guys. I just had a question about the below problem. I am not sure if this is right but more likely it is wrong. I have been trying this problem for an extensive period of time now. If anyone could help out I would greatly appreciate it.

Following the dashed lines I showed the work that I did to solve this.

Question: Figure below is an end view of two long, parallel wires perpendicular to the xy-plane. Each carries a current I, but in opposite directions. (X means into the mage and the dot is out of the page).

Derive the expression for the magnitude of B at any point on the x-axis in terms of the x-coordinate of the point. What is the direction of B?
Click on this link to view the picture I copied.

38648?db=v4net.gif

--------

This is what I tried~~~

By right hand rule the vector would be upward and both of the magnetic fields from the two wires will add.

The field due to a long, straight, current-carrying conductor is B=mu_0I/2(pi)r where r is the distance from the wire to the point P.

The distance there is r=sqrt(a^2+x^2) from both conductors. By using superposition and adding vectors we can find the field B.

Thus Btotal=B1+B2

B1=Mu_0*I/(2*pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2))
B2=Mu_0*I/(2*pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2))

B1+B2= 2*Mu_0*I/(2*pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2))
B1+B2= Mu_0*I/(pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2))

Is this not correct?
Your magnitudes are ok but the directions you give are wrong. The B fields produced by each wire at point P is *not* upward. You have to use a certain version of the right hand rule (with now the thumb pointing in the direction of the current and your hand curling around the wire, showing the direction of the B field ). For the top wire for example, the B field at P will be somewhere in the first quadrant (draw a circle centered around the wire and at point P the B field must be tangent to the circle, pointing in a direction in the first quadrant (if a was equal to x, the B field would be pointing straight northeast). Likewise, the B field produced by the lower wire at point P is somewhere in the fourth quadrant (would be straight southeast if a was equal to x).

It's hard to explain without a blackboard!

nrqed said:
Your magnitudes are ok but the directions you give are wrong. The B fields produced by each wire at point P is *not* upward. You have to use a certain version of the right hand rule (with now the thumb pointing in the direction of the current and your hand curling around the wire, showing the direction of the B field ). For the top wire for example, the B field at P will be somewhere in the first quadrant (draw a circle centered around the wire and at point P the B field must be tangent to the circle, pointing in a direction in the first quadrant (if a was equal to x, the B field would be pointing straight northeast). Likewise, the B field produced by the lower wire at point P is somewhere in the fourth quadrant (would be straight southeast if a was equal to x).

It's hard to explain without a blackboard!

Thanks! The field would then point along the +x axis using the right hand rule.

I am trying to use the answer that I got for magnitude and my system does not accept Mu_0*I/(pi*sqrt(a^2+x^2)) for the magnitude of the field at point P.
Is it possible I made an error in the calculation? Thanks!

Last edited:
ovoleg said:
I see what you are saying let me try it right now and see what I get. I understand the thumb must point in the direction that the current is flowing which is toward me on the higher wire and toward the page on the lower wire.

One sec
Right...and because the currents are identical and the distances are the same, you should see that the *y* component of the two B fields cancel out exactly in this problem, leaving only an *x* component (the final result will therefore be that the total B field at P has only an x component which is equal to twice the x component of the B field of one wire)

nrqed said:
Right...and because the currents are identical and the distances are the same, you should see that the *y* component of the two B fields cancel out exactly in this problem, leaving only an *x* component (the final result will therefore be that the total B field at P has only an x component which is equal to twice the x component of the B field of one wire)
Thanks, also
Still unable to solve the part with the magnitude though, it seems that it might be wrong, maybe I am missing something important

Last edited:
ovoleg said:
Thanks, also
magcur.gif

Shows a nice diagram that we can visualize the circles and tangent magnetic fields

Still unable to solve the part with the magnitude though, it seems that it might be wrong, maybe I am missing something important
nice drawing.

But did you calculate the x component of each B field and added them up together? You need to do that!

It's really hard to explain without a drawing, but let's say you look at the B field produced by the top wire at P. It is pointing in the first quadrant, right? Now, it makes an angle with the x axis. You will have to mulitply your magnitude of B by the cos of that angle.

Now, if you draw a line from the top wire to point B, you should be able to convince yourself that the angle between that line and a vertical line is the same as the angle between the B field and the x axis. Then, using trigonometry, you can figure out the cos of that angle

Last edited by a moderator:
nrqed said:
nice drawing.

But did you calculate the x component of each B field and added them up together? You need to do that!

It's really hard to explain without a drawing, but let's say you look at the B field produced by the top wire at P. It is pointing in the first quadrant, right? Now, it makes an angle with the x axis. You will have to mulitply your magnitude of B by the cos of that angle.

Now, if you draw a line from the top wire to point B, you should be able to convince yourself that the angle between that line and a vertical line is the same as the angle between the B field and the x axis. Then, using trigonometry, you can figure out the cos of that angle

So B1 will actually B1cos(theta) in which case will be

B=mu*I/(2*pi*r)*a/(sqrt(x^2+a^2)
and thus

B1+B2 = mu*I*a/(pi*(x^2+a^2)

? Still not there :(

Last edited:
ovoleg said:
So B1 will actually B1cos(theta) in which case will be

B=mu*I/(2*pi*r)*a/(sqrt(x^2+a^2)
and thus

B1+B2 = mu*I*a/(pi*(x^2+a^2)

? Still not there :(
What is the correct answer?? This looks right to me

nrqed said:
What is the correct answer?? This looks right to me

That one seemed to do the trick. Thanks a lot for all your help! :biggrin: :) :) :)

ovoleg said:
That one seemed to do the trick. Thanks a lot for all your help! :biggrin: :) :) :)
Great! You are welcome.

(btw, it is always nice to check some limits in expressions like those...as a goes to zero, you can expect from the figure that the B field will go to zero and that agreea with the expression. As x goes to zero, you expect the two B field to be parallel and in the x direction so that the total B field will be twice the magnitude of each wire, and that also checks out)

Regards

Patrick

1. What is the magnetic field created by two parallel wires?

The magnetic field created by two parallel wires is dependent on the current flowing through each wire and the distance between the wires. The magnetic field produced by each wire will be in the opposite direction, and the strength of the field will decrease as the distance between the wires increases.

2. How do the currents in the two wires affect the magnetic field?

The direction and magnitude of the currents in the two wires will determine the direction and strength of the magnetic field. If the currents are in the same direction, the magnetic field will be stronger between the wires. If the currents are in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be stronger outside the wires.

3. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field between two wires?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field between two wires is B = μ0*I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance between the wires.

4. How can the magnetic field between two wires be manipulated?

The magnetic field between two wires can be manipulated by changing the current in one or both of the wires, or by changing the distance between the wires. By increasing the current or decreasing the distance, the magnetic field will become stronger, and vice versa.

5. What are some practical applications of the magnetic field between two wires?

The magnetic field between two wires has several practical applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in MRI machines and particle accelerators. The magnetic field can also be used in magnetic levitation technology for transportation systems.