Can anyone provide resources for beginners on electromagnetic induction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for information on Magnetic Induction for a bobsled project. A link to study materials is requested and the possibility of using slotted aluminum sheet metal is mentioned as well as caution for using powerful current.
Robin07
Well it looks like I need to find out as much as I can about Magnetic Induction. Does anyone have a link/ reference to a beginners understanding, study material so that I can start my Bob Sled project? In the mean time I'll search the physics textbooks on this site.

Thanks for all your help so far guys

Robin07

Physics news on Phys.org
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin07 said:
so that I can start my Bob Sled project
What on Earth does induction have to do with a bobsled? Are you making a maglev or something? :confused:

Yes, I'm currently looking at using slotted aluminum sheet metal.

You need some awfully powerful current for that. Be careful.

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field through the conductor.

2. Who discovered electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction was discovered by Michael Faraday in 1831. Faraday's law of induction states that a changing magnetic field will induce a current in a conductor.

3. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by creating a magnetic field and moving a conductor through it. The moving conductor experiences a force due to the magnetic field, which causes electrons to move and create an electric current.

4. What is the importance of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is important in many modern technologies, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It also plays a role in alternative energy sources like wind and hydroelectric power.

5. What is the difference between electromagnetic induction and electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic induction involves the creation of an electric current through a conductor, while electromagnetic waves are oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space. Electromagnetic induction requires a moving conductor, while electromagnetic waves can propagate through a vacuum.