Evaluating the Integral: \iiint_{V} (16x^2 + 9y^2 + 4z^2)^{1/4} \,dx\,dy\,dz

• Thread starter Stevecgz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the triple integral of a function over an ellipsoid, using two change of variables and considering the jacobian. The speaker is asking for confirmation on their approach and if multiple change of variables are allowed in this type of integration.
Stevecgz
I am trying to evaluate the following:

[tex]
\iiint_{V} (16x^2 + 9y^2 + 4z^2)^{1/4} \,dx\,dy\,dz
[/tex]

Where V is the ellipsoid [tex]16x^2 + 9y^2 + 4z^2 \leq 16[/tex]

This is what I've done:

Change of variables with
[tex]
u^2 = 16x^2
[/tex]
[tex]
v^2 = 9y^2
[/tex]
[tex]
w^2 = 4z^2
[/tex]

Then V is the sphere
[tex]u^2 + v^2 + z^2 \leq 16[/tex]

And the jacobian is
[tex]\frac{1}{24}[/tex]

Than another Change of variables to Spherical cordinates, so the resulting integral is:

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \int_{0}^{pi} \int_{0}^{4} (\rho^2)^{1/4}\rho^2\sin\phi\frac{1}{24} \,d\rho\, d\phi\, d\theta[/tex]

My question is if I am going about this the correct way and if it is ok to make two change of variables as I have done. Thanks.

Steve

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always do as many change of variables as you wish, but be carefull with the jacobian. You can even "invent" your own set of coordinates and integrate in these particular coordinates.

Thanks Gagle.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating this integral?

The purpose of evaluating this integral is to find the total amount of a given physical quantity within a three-dimensional region, represented by the function (16x^2 + 9y^2 + 4z^2)^{1/4}, where x, y, and z are the three dimensions and V is the region.

2. How is the integral evaluated?

The integral is evaluated by breaking down the three-dimensional region into smaller, manageable pieces and summing up the contributions of each piece. This is done using the triple integral, which involves integrating with respect to x, y, and z.

3. What is the significance of the exponent in the function?

The exponent (1/4) in the function represents the degree of the root, which in this case is the fourth root. This indicates that the function is a root function and the result of the integral will be the fourth root of the total amount in the region V.

4. Can the integral be evaluated without using a triple integral?

No, the integral cannot be evaluated without using a triple integral. The function is dependent on all three variables (x, y, and z), so a triple integral is necessary to account for all possible combinations of these variables within the region V.

5. How can this integral be applied in real-world scenarios?

This integral can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, finding the mass or charge distribution within a region, or determining the average value of a physical quantity within a given region.