Differentials under differentials in integrals

In summary, the three integrals (from 0 to 5) of dx/x, dx/(x+dx), and dx/(x+2dx+dx^2) are not equivalent. This can be seen by treating the dx on top as a variable and the rest as constants, or by manipulating the expressions without solid justification. The Tsiolkovsky "rocket equation" uses the simplification of dx to be arbitrarily small before performing the integration.
Signifier
Hello.

Are the following integrals equivalent:

Integral from 0 to 5 of dx / x

and

Integral from 0 to 5 of dx / (x + dx)

What about

Integral from 0 to 5 of dx / (x + 2dx + dx^2)

?

If they are all equivalent, why? (I have an intuitive answer, but it has 0 mathematical foundation). Or are they not all the same? Can someone explain this strongly?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take note that you should not take my answer seriously, but I am tempted to propose an answer, and see how people react to it.

The way I would interpret

[tex]\int_0^5 \frac{dx}{x+dx+(dx)^2}[/tex]

is by treating the dx on top as the dx that's part of the notation for "the integral of a function", and the rest of them I would treat as constant (or more precisely, as parameters), so the answer would be

[tex]\ln (5+dx+(dx)^2)-ln(dx+(dx)^2)[/tex]With this interpretation, you can see that your three integrals are not equal.

Last edited:
I would say that it's nonsense unless you defined what it meant.

Boldly doing manipulations without any solid justification (which is the only kind we can do when we don't have a definition for what we're manipulating)...

[tex]
\frac{dx}{x + dx + (dx)^2}
= \frac{1}{x + dx + (dx)^2} dx
\approx \frac{1}{x} \left(1 - \frac{dx + (dx)^2}{x}\right) \, dx
\approx \frac{dx}{x}
[/tex]

I am interested primarily because of a curious step in this derivation of the Tsiolkovsky "rocket equation": http://ed-thelen.org/rocket-eq.html

Namely, where he says, "we are looking at the area under the curve of 1/(x+dx) where in the process we make dx arbitrarily small so that we are looking at the area under the curve of 1/x in the limit. In some presentations, this simplification is done before the integration is performed."

1. What is the purpose of using differentials in integrals?

The use of differentials in integrals allows us to approximate the value of a function at a specific point, by considering the behavior of the function near that point. It also helps us to find the rate of change of a function, or the area under a curve.

2. How do differentials change in integrals?

In integrals, differentials represent a small change in the independent variable. As we integrate, the differentials will change depending on the limits of integration and the function being integrated.

3. Can differentials be used to solve all integrals?

No, not all integrals can be solved using differentials. Some integrals require more advanced techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, and its value represents the area under a curve within those limits. An indefinite integral does not have specified limits and represents a general antiderivative of a function.

5. How can differentials be applied in real-world situations?

Differentials can be used in various real-world situations, such as in physics to calculate the velocity or acceleration of an object, in economics to determine the marginal cost or revenue of a product, and in engineering to find the rate of change of a system's variables.