How Do You Calculate the Net Electrostatic Force in a Three-Point Charge System?

In summary, the problem involves three charges (+18 uC on the y-axis at y=+3.0m, -12 uC at the origin, and +45 uC on the x-axis at x=+3.0m) and the task is to determine the magnitude and direction of the net electrostatic force on the charge at x=+3.0m. The correct calculation involves using the distance between the +18 uC and +45 uC charges, and then using pythagoras to find the magnitude of the resultant force.
duki
Problem:

A charge of +18 uC is on the y-axis at y = +3.0m. A charge of -12 uC is at the origin. Last, a charge of +45 uC is on the x-axis at x = +3.0m. Determine the magnitude and direction of the net electrostatic force on the charge at x = +3.0mm. Specify the direction relative to the -x axis.

So what I have drawn is:

O-> 18 x (10)^-6
|
|
| /\
| 3.0m
| \/
|
|
|
|
| Origin Charge: -12x10^-6
|O_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ O -> 45 x (10)^-6
< 3.om >

So I did:

F1 = (8.99 x 10^9)(12 x 10^-6)(18 x 10^-6) / 9 = 1.942 N
F2 = (8.99 x 10^9)(12 x 10^-6)(45 x 10^-6) / 9 = 0.539 N

Can I use trig to determine the magnitude now? I tried it but I got this:

1.942cos90 = 0
1.942sin90 = 1

Surely I've messed up somewhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a bunch! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
or would I do:

.539 cos 45
.539 sin 45

If you're finding the force on the charge at x=3m, you need 18x45 and -12x45 (with appropriate powers of 10, of course), and use pythagoras to find the distance between the 18uC and 45uC charges.

To find the magnitude, find the resultant force in the x and y directions, then use pythagoras.

Ok so I've done some of it right?

Then I do:

(3²)(3²) = 9² = 9??

i don't understand the second part

*bump*...

1. What is the magnitude of a point charge?

The magnitude of a point charge is a measure of the strength or intensity of the electric field produced by the charge. It is typically represented by the letter Q and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How is the magnitude of a point charge calculated?

The magnitude of a point charge can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the magnitude of the electric force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. Can the magnitude of a point charge be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of a point charge can be negative. This indicates that the charge is an electron, which has a charge of -1. It is important to note that the magnitude of a charge is always positive, but the charge itself can be positive or negative.

4. How does the distance between two point charges affect their magnitudes?

The magnitude of a point charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charges decreases, their magnitudes increase, and vice versa.

5. How does the magnitude of a point charge affect the strength of the electric field?

The magnitude of a point charge directly affects the strength of the electric field it produces. As the magnitude of the charge increases, the electric field becomes stronger, and as the magnitude decreases, the electric field becomes weaker.