Who remembers the Disney film Bedknobs and Broomsticks?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I used to have the soundtrack on vinyl as a kid :blushing: o:)Yup, I remember it well. Awesome flick.Good flick, better book.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This was a great Disney film. It was a favorite of the Evo Children.

It came up tonight and I was wondering how many here remember it. My favorite part was bringing the armour in the museum to life to fight the Germans. You kids might remember the soccer game from the Island of Namboombu.

Twisting _Edge thinks a lot of people know of the movie because it was referenced in D&D, I think you're all too young. And if you knew it from D&D, that wasn't the movie. :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
I love Bednobs & Broomsticks.

Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson (probably best know as the father George Banks in Mary Poppins - another of my favorites) were smashing! What!

I need to go rent that. Great film - and I love Angela Lansbury! Did you ever see "Mrs. 'Arris goes to Paris"?

I used to have the soundtrack on vinyl as a kid :blushing: o:)

Yup, I remember it well. Awesome flick.

Good flick, better book.
See also C.S.Lewis(Narnia), Tolkien(d,oh), Kipling(Jungle Book), Edgar R. Burroughs(Tarzan), Robert A. Heinlein(Starship Troopers) et al etc.

Evo said:

It came up tonight and I was wondering how many here remember it. My favorite part was bringing the armour in the museum to life to fight the Germans. You kids might remember the soccer game from the Island of Namboombu.

Twisting _Edge thinks a lot of people know of the movie because it was referenced in D&D, I think you're all too young. And if you knew it from D&D, that wasn't the movie. :grumpy:

I still have the tape, and, amof, I just looked at it a few months ago with my sister during a childhood-nostalgy attack. Was great, just like the first time I saw it when I was a kid. :smile:

This is my kids favourite by far, they always ask for it and every time are absolutely absorbed for the duration, which means I love it too- a lot of peace for me!

There wasn't a Disney movie made before the mid '70's that I didn't absolutely love as a kid. As politically incorrect as it is, I saw "Song of the South" the last time it was released and thought it was wonderful. I'll bet they have destroyed it and my kids will never be able to see it.

Evo said:

The soccer game is hilarious and unforgettable :smile: Especially if you know soccer.

J77 said:

Yeah another Good one.

Who remembers Sword in the Stone?

The fight between Merlin and? Forget her name, the witch is classic.:smile:

Ah Mimm.

For those who haven't seen it Merlin ends up as a disease who infects Mimm, and the rest is history :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Transport said:
There wasn't a Disney movie made before the mid '70's that I didn't absolutely love as a kid. As politically incorrect as it is, I saw "Song of the South" the last time it was released and thought it was wonderful. I'll bet they have destroyed it and my kids will never be able to see it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00003CX5G/?tag=pfamazon01-20

No I have it on video, yipe de do dah yipe day :smile:

I think it's based on the br'er rabbit stories which were awesome, read them as a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" about?

"Bedknobs and Broomsticks" is a classic Disney live-action and animated musical film released in 1971. It follows the story of three children who are evacuated from London during World War II and end up living with an apprentice witch in a small village. Together, they go on a magical adventure to find a powerful spell that will protect their village from the invading Nazis.

2. Is "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" based on a book?

No, "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" is not based on a book. It was actually inspired by two books, "The Magic Bed-Knob; or, How to Become a Witch in Ten Easy Lessons" and "Bonfires and Broomsticks" by Mary Norton, but the story and characters were adapted specifically for the film.

3. Who are the main characters in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks"?

The main characters in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" are Miss Eglantine Price, an apprentice witch played by Angela Lansbury, and the three children she takes in: Charlie, Carrie, and Paul. There are also various animated animals, including a talking cat named Cosmic Creepers and a wise old owl named Mr. Codfish.

4. What are the special effects used in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks"?

"Bedknobs and Broomsticks" used a combination of live-action and animation, similar to the techniques used in "Mary Poppins". The special effects were created by Disney's animation department, including the iconic scene where the characters ride on a magical bed that sprouts wings and flies through the air.

5. Is there a sequel to "Bedknobs and Broomsticks"?

No, there is no official sequel to "Bedknobs and Broomsticks", although there have been plans for a potential remake or spin-off in recent years. However, a stage musical adaptation of the film was produced in 2019 and received positive reviews.