Car Security Systems: Get Protection & Peace of Mind

In summary, the conversation is discussing different types of security systems for vehicles, including a car alarm flamethrower that squirts liquefied gas and can be modified according to individual preference. Some people suggest using fake stickers or LEDs as deterrents, while others recommend looking at visible indicators on cars that are not being targeted. There is also a discussion on whether to deter vandalism or just theft, and suggestions to remove all valuables from the car and leave doors open to show there is nothing worth stealing.
scorpa
Does anyone here have any kind of security system for their vehicle? I'm thinking of getting one if I can find one for a decent price, probably cheaper to get one vs paying for windows and whatnot every time something happens. Seems like in my parking garage the vehicles with security systems are being left alone. Any suggestions? Advice? Gone are the days when I could just park my vehicle outside with the keys in it :frown: the joys of city life I guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the car alarm flamethrower? I read about this years ago.

Flamethrower now an option on S. African cars

"The Blaster squirts liquefied gas from a bottle in the automobile's trunk through two nozzles, located under the front doors. The gas is then ignited by an electric spark, with fiery consequences.

Both sides flame at the same time, regardless of whether the attack is coming from just one side of the vehicle, or whether passersby are on the other side. But the breadth and depth of blast can be modified according to individual preference."

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/

That is a really good idea. I was a bit worried about it until I read that it will not cause damage to the paint on my vehicle. The only downside is that it only maims and does not kill but I guess we can't have everything. Lol I wish I could actually get that...maybe I can rig something up haha.

I really liked the fact that "the breadth and depth of blast can be modified according to individual preference."

Yes that is good, we can choose whether we want our criminal rare, medium rare or well done. Personally I think I will opt for well done, I want to be sure there is little risk of reoffending.

Are there any serious suggestions haha?

You'll probably get a ton tommorow when the men return.

Man here.

I've got a really nice Cobra immobiliser, Thatcham 2. I'm not quite sure how much of a theft deterrent it is (the car has no locks, doors or roof anyway so stealing anything inside wouldn't be a problem) and the only visual cues are a little Cobra fob port with an intimidating flashing light on the dashboard, but there's almost no chance anyone would be able to bypass it and get away with the car without completely rewiring it or just lifting it up and onto a trailer.

Some studies have indicated that an LED that looks professionally fitted, or original equipment is just as good as the electronics behind it, as car theives are looking to do as many cars as possible before an alarm goes off.

I've seen fake window stickers of actual alarm systems for sale at auto-jumbles, they are quite a good deterrent as it looks like an alarm was fitted by a professional. I'm sure somebody on the internet or ebay is selling them.

Have a look at the cars not being targeted and see what visible indicators they have.

I fitted a simple flashing red LED to the dashboard of my normal car, along with stickers on the windows. It hasn't been broken into yet.

I guess it depends on whether you're trying to deter the vandalism, or only theft. The red LED is as good as any actual security system at deterring vandalism, because alarms don't go off until AFTER the window is smashed, so too late to stop the damage if the vandals aren't paying attention to which cars are alarmed.

If you've given up on stopping the vandalism, but just want to stop them from taking the car once they've broken in, then look for a security system that cuts off the fuel supply when activated. The noise might not be enough to stop the theives if there isn't anyone around to hear it until they can silence it (depending on whether they are just amateurs looking for easy targets for joyrides, or professional crooks interested in specific vehicles who know how to disable an alarm system).

I can't recommend anything specific though, because I've always just had the factory-installed alarm systems in my cars.

Another thing to think about, especially if they're just smashing windows and not taking anything, is where your car is parked? Is it very near the entrance that they're just running in, smashing a bunch of windows and running back out before caught? If they are looking for things to steal from the car, the only other thing I can suggest until you have an adequate alarm is to take everything out of your car (don't keep any CDs or even coins in the car) and leave every little door inside the car open (i.e., glovebox, ashtray, center console cover) so someone can quickly see that there really is nothing inside (don't forget to remove the glovebox bulb so you don't drain your battery if you leave it open). And, maybe a big note in the window that says, "Don't bother, you already stole everything of value!" :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I guess it depends on whether you're trying to deter the vandalism, or only theft. The red LED is as good as any actual security system at deterring vandalism, because alarms don't go off until AFTER the window is smashed, so too late to stop the damage if the vandals aren't paying attention to which cars are alarmed.

If you've given up on stopping the vandalism, but just want to stop them from taking the car once they've broken in, then look for a security system that cuts off the fuel supply when activated. The noise might not be enough to stop the theives if there isn't anyone around to hear it until they can silence it (depending on whether they are just amateurs looking for easy targets for joyrides, or professional crooks interested in specific vehicles who know how to disable an alarm system).

I can't recommend anything specific though, because I've always just had the factory-installed alarm systems in my cars.

Another thing to think about, especially if they're just smashing windows and not taking anything, is where your car is parked? Is it very near the entrance that they're just running in, smashing a bunch of windows and running back out before caught? If they are looking for things to steal from the car, the only other thing I can suggest until you have an adequate alarm is to take everything out of your car (don't keep any CDs or even coins in the car) and leave every little door inside the car open (i.e., glovebox, ashtray, center console cover) so someone can quickly see that there really is nothing inside (don't forget to remove the glovebox bulb so you don't drain your battery if you leave it open). And, maybe a big note in the window that says, "Don't bother, you already stole everything of value!" :biggrin:

I'm trying to deter both vandalism and theft as I've had the luck of both happening to me over the past few months. My vehicle isn't parked near any entrances so I don't think that is factoring in. I already didn't keep anything of value in my vehicle and they still smashed anyway. I think that's a good idea about leaving the consoles and glove box and what not open, I wonder if they even take the time to look inside though? I thought it would already have been pretty obvious if they had looked inside there was nothin in it yet I still have no window. LOL and who knows maybe I will try the note to. Of course they will probably just smash my window anyway to be jerks but I don't think I'm safe either way haha.

brewnog said:
Man here.

I've got a really nice Cobra immobiliser, Thatcham 2. I'm not quite sure how much of a theft deterrent it is (the car has no locks, doors or roof anyway so stealing anything inside wouldn't be a problem) and the only visual cues are a little Cobra fob port with an intimidating flashing light on the dashboard, but there's almost no chance anyone would be able to bypass it and get away with the car without completely rewiring it or just lifting it up and onto a trailer.

Thanks I'll look into that one. If you don't mind me asking do you recall how much you paid for it?

scorpa said:
I wonder if they even take the time to look inside though? I thought it would already have been pretty obvious if they had looked inside there was nothin in it yet I still have no window.

That's why I'm not sure anything would deter that. But, since you think they're avoiding cars with alarm systems, they must be taking at least a moment to look to see that the car has an alarm, unless there's just something really attractive about your car to vandals.

Moonbear said:
That's why I'm not sure anything would deter that. But, since you think they're avoiding cars with alarm systems, they must be taking at least a moment to look to see that the car has an alarm, unless there's just something really attractive about your car to vandals.

The cars that don't get hit all have the flashing light from the security system in the dash. When my car got stolen it was just bad luck they found the spare set of keys, now I have a little jeep and as it turns out they like to target SUV's. I love the vehicle but I may have gone from bad to worse security wise.

Moonbear said:
maybe a big note in the window that says, "Don't bother, you already stole everything of value!" :biggrin:

This doesn't work. My friend had his jeep broken into repeatedly, so he left a sign saying they already took everything of value. It didn't make a difference. People would still jimmy the door open and look for things, and then take nothing (the sign was not lying).

Have a taxidermist mount a pit-bull to look like he's sleeping and leave it lying across your back seat.:rofl: I don't have a serious recommendation because we don't have much of a car theft problem here. When we lived in Waterville, I bought a silent alarm from Radio Shack and installed it in my Buick Skyhawk to catch gas thieves. The alarm was invisible and it didn't make any noise, it just set off a pager so I could grab my baseball bat and make a run out to the parking lot. After a couple of confrontations, the gas thefts stopped. I would not recommend this type of alarm for you, but I was young and quite serious about stopping the thefts. I had to sell my Jeep while we lived there - no secure place to store it, and CJ5's were popular theft targets for parts - they stole the doors off mine.

Last edited:
Sigh stealing doors...that'll be the next thing :cry: And yeah I don't think running out with a bat would help me much...they'd probably take one look at me and laugh. And the stuffed pitbull is a bit to creepy, even for me :rofl:

I still like the flame shooter the best :!)

I've been phoning around and it looks like about 5-600 bucks will get me a 2way system installed.

Moonbear said:
...And, maybe a big note in the window that says, "Don't bother, you already stole everything of value!" :biggrin:

I appreciate your sense of humor but that's just asking for vandalism. It's the same way with taking up more than one parking spot to avoid door dings and scratches. Asking to get keyed.

scorpa said:
Thanks I'll look into that one. If you don't mind me asking do you recall how much you paid for it?

It came fitted to the car. IIRC they're about 80-140 quid.

Edit: Hmm my £80 guess wasn't far off.
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/2542.html

Averagesupernova said:
I appreciate your sense of humor but that's just asking for vandalism. It's the same way with taking up more than one parking spot to avoid door dings and scratches. Asking to get keyed.

I guess I'm not very good at understanding the criminal mind. :rolleyes:

And, anyone who takes up two parking spaces, especially in a crowded lot, deserves anything they get! :grumpy:

1. What are car security systems?

Car security systems are electronic devices that are installed in vehicles to protect them from theft or break-ins. They typically include features such as alarms, immobilizers, and GPS tracking.

2. How do car security systems work?

Car security systems work by detecting unauthorized entry or movement of the vehicle. When triggered, the system will sound an alarm and may also immobilize the vehicle, preventing it from being driven away. Some systems also have GPS tracking capabilities, allowing the car to be located if it is stolen.

3. Are car security systems effective?

Yes, car security systems are generally effective in deterring theft and break-ins. Studies have shown that vehicles with visible security systems are less likely to be targeted by thieves. However, it is important to choose a reputable system and have it installed properly for maximum effectiveness.

4. Are car security systems expensive?

The cost of car security systems can vary depending on the features and level of protection they offer. Basic systems can range from $50 to $200, while more advanced systems with additional features such as remote start or smartphone integration can cost upwards of $500.

5. Can car security systems be installed on any vehicle?

Most car security systems can be installed on any vehicle, including older models. However, some high-end vehicles may come with built-in security systems that cannot be replaced. It is important to consult with a professional installer to determine the compatibility of a security system with your specific vehicle.