TI-89 Titanium graphing problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with graphing a function and getting a line instead of a wave. The person has checked their settings and is wondering if they are entering the function incorrectly. They also mention using a graphing tool, but it produces the same result.
irelandmc
Hi all, found this forum while looking for a solution to this problem:

When I graph a y1=sin(x) I get the sin wave you would expect.

but...

When I graph y2=5+4*sin(pi/12)(x+10) I get a line instead of a wave?

What gives? I'm in radian, I reset my factory defaults... Am I entering this wrong? Shouldn't that give you a sin wave?

Thanks for your help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

It seems like you may have made a mistake with your parentheses when entering the equation for y2. The correct way to enter it would be y2=5+4*sin((pi/12)*(x+10)). Notice the extra set of parentheses around pi/12 and (x+10). This will ensure that the entire expression is being multiplied by 4, rather than just the x value.

Also, make sure that you are in radian mode when graphing. If you are still having trouble, try resetting your calculator to factory defaults again and double check your parentheses. I hope this helps!

1. What is the "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem?

The "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem refers to a common issue encountered by users of the TI-89 Titanium graphing calculator. It occurs when the calculator freezes or stops responding while trying to graph a complicated or large function.

2. Why does the "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem occur?

The "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem is often caused by the calculator's limited processing power. When trying to graph a complex function, the calculator may run out of memory or take too long to process the data, resulting in a freeze or unresponsive screen.

3. How can I prevent the "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem?

To prevent the "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem, it is important to keep your calculator's operating system (OS) up to date. You can also try breaking down your function into smaller, simpler parts or using a different graphing calculator with more processing power.

4. What should I do if I encounter the "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem?

If you encounter the "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem, the first step is to try resetting your calculator by pressing the "2nd" and "ON" buttons at the same time. If that does not work, you may need to remove the batteries and reinsert them after a few minutes. If the problem persists, you may need to seek technical support or consider using a different calculator.

5. Is the "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem a common issue?

Yes, the "TI-89 Titanium" graphing problem is a common issue reported by users. However, it is important to note that this problem can also occur with other graphing calculators when trying to graph complex functions. It is always best to check for updates and follow proper troubleshooting steps to avoid encountering this problem.