Kinetic Energy of Satellite's Orbiting Earth

In summary, to attack a satellite in Earth's orbit, one method is to launch pellets in the opposite direction of the satellite's orbit. To find the kinetic energy of a pellet colliding with the satellite, you need to account for both the pellet's orbital velocity and the satellite's velocity. Additionally, the kinetic energy ratio between the pellet and a bullet from a modern army rifle will depend on the target's velocity.
Almoore01
One way to attack a satellite in Earth's orbit is to launch a swarm of pellets in the same orbit as the satellite but in the opposite direction. Suppose a satellite in a circular orbit 500 km above Earth's surface collides with a pellet having mass 4.0 g.

a.) What is the kinetic energy of the pellet in the reference frame of the satellite

b.) What is the ratio of this kinetic energy to the kinetic energy of a 4.0 g bullet from a modern army rifle with a muzzle velocity of 950 m/s?
So for the kinetic energy, K = (1/2)m(v^2). I know that you need to find the velocity for that orbit's radius, therefore, I've done: Net Force = ma --> ((Gm1m2)/(r^2)) = m2((v^2)/r). With r = Radius of the Earth + 500 km --> ((6.37 x 10^6) + (5 x 10^6)). From there, I solved for the velocity and came up with (numerous times) = 7620 m/s. Then the kinetic energy, with 'm' being .004 kg, =116129 J. Which is the wrong answer.

So...moving on to part B with the wrong answer in part A didn't make much sense. I just don't quite know what I've done wrong. I know what the right answers are ( a. (4.6 x 10^5) J, b. 260. ), I just can't seem to get to them.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) The pellet also has orbital velocity, which is equal in magnitude to the satellite's, but in the opposite direction. You need to account for this velocity too.

b) It depends on what you're shooting at. If your target is still, then the velocity is 950 m/s. If your target is moving at you, this must be accounted for. I doubt they're talking about shooting the satellite. The rifle will never reach it.

1. What is Kinetic Energy?

Kinetic Energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

2. How is Kinetic Energy related to a satellite's orbit around Earth?

A satellite's orbit around Earth is a result of its kinetic energy. The satellite's velocity allows it to maintain a stable orbit while its mass determines the strength of the gravitational force between the satellite and Earth.

3. How is the Kinetic Energy of a satellite's orbit calculated?

The Kinetic Energy of a satellite's orbit can be calculated using the following formula: KE = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the satellite and v is its velocity.

4. Does the Kinetic Energy of a satellite's orbit change over time?

Yes, the Kinetic Energy of a satellite's orbit changes over time due to factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, and changes in the satellite's velocity.

5. How does the Kinetic Energy of a satellite's orbit affect its stability?

The Kinetic Energy of a satellite's orbit is directly related to its stability. If the Kinetic Energy is too low, the satellite may not maintain a stable orbit and may eventually fall back to Earth. If the Kinetic Energy is too high, the satellite may escape Earth's orbit and be pulled towards other celestial bodies.