Partitioning Symmetry Groups: Exploring the Multiplication Table Method

In summary, the conversation discussed the book "Symmetry" by Roy McWeeny, which is a gem for those who love Dover Books. The author was able to partition the symmetry group C3v into distinct classes, including identity, positive and negative rotations, and reflections, by using its multiplication table. The process of finding these classes, known as conjugacy classes, involves taking an element and working out its products with other elements. In the case of C3v, the classes are uniquely determined by the cycle type, which can be represented as permutations of the corners of a triangle. The conversation ended with the speaker thanking for the help and expressing their excitement for learning more about vector spaces, lattices, and representation theory.
H-bar None
I reading a great book called Symmetry by Roy McWeeny. For those that love Dover Books this one's a gem.

Anyway, I have a question.

How do you partiton a particular group into distinct classes?

The author was discussing the symmetry group C3v the rotation, and reflection of a triangle.

The author was able to partition this group by using its multiplication table. The classes are {E}, {C3,-C3} and {r1,r2,r3}.

Where E is identity, C3,-C3 are positive and negative rotations, r1,r2,r3 are the reflections.

How did he get this answer?
I hope my ? is clearly stated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That would depend upon which classes you mean. I presume you mean conjugacy classes. In general you need to take some element x and work out what all the product zxz^-1 ,which we presume the author did by looking at the multiplication table, are, that set of products is then the conjugacy class.

Here it's simple to do by hand. For larger cases one must be cleverer, but in the case of the symmetric group the conjugacy class is uniquely determined by the cycle type. C3v, also called D_3 or D_6 is the same as S_3 the permutation group on three letters. The letters here being the corners of the triangle. A reflection swaps two of them and fixes one, so it can be written as (12)(3) for some labelling of the corners. It has cycle type 2.1, or just 2. A rotation permutes three of them and can be written as (123) say which has cycle type 3. Read the bit on symmetric/permutation groups to see that in more detail.

Thanks for the help. I cut out a triangle, labeled the points and worked the multiplication table manually. Learned a lot.

Now onward to vector spaces and lattices with the rest stop at representaion theory. :biggrin:

1. What is the Partition of Symmetry Group?

The Partition of Symmetry Group is a mathematical concept that refers to the subdivision of a symmetry group into smaller subgroups, based on certain shared characteristics or properties.

2. What are the types of partitions in a Symmetry Group?

The types of partitions in a Symmetry Group include conjugacy classes, irreducible representations, and normal subgroups.

3. How is the Partition of Symmetry Group related to group theory?

The Partition of Symmetry Group is closely related to group theory, as it involves the study of the structure and properties of groups and their subgroups.

4. What is the significance of Partition of Symmetry Group in science?

The Partition of Symmetry Group has many applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and crystallography. It helps in understanding the underlying symmetries and patterns in physical systems and molecules.

5. Can the Partition of Symmetry Group be applied to non-mathematical systems?

Yes, the Partition of Symmetry Group can also be applied to non-mathematical systems, such as social networks, biological systems, and language structures, to study their underlying symmetries and patterns.