Unif. conv. of fx=Σc_n*x^n on |x|<h implies unif. conv. on |x|<=h?

• Thread starter omyojj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of uniform convergence of power series and the existence of a limit. The participants also provide a proof and example related to this topic.
omyojj
[SOLVED] unif. conv. of fx=Σc_n*x^n on |x|<h implies unif. conv. on |x|<=h?

my whole question is on the title..uniform convergence of power series..

The answer is yes..how can I prove that? help me lol

and I`d like to know..the existence of limit..

[1 3 5 ''' (2n-1)]/[2 4 6 ''' (2n)] -> ? as n goes infinity..

(sorry for my bad Eng..)

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose there is no unif. conv. on the closure (|x| < h). What does that imply about the behavior of the function as |x| ---> h (versus at |x| = h)?

I liked this problem because I hadn't thought about it before and my initial thought was to apply Abel's theorem, but it turned out not to be the thing to do here.

Fact 1) Suppose f_n -> f uniformly on [a,b), and f_n(b) -> f(b).
prove: f_n -> f uniformly on [a,b].

Fact 2) If f_n is a sequence of continuous functions on [a,b] that converges
uniformly to f(x) on [a,b), then lim f_n(b) exists.

proof:

Fix e > 0.
By uniform convergence, choose N such that such that |f_n(x)-f_m(x)| < e for n,m > N, x in [a,b).
By continuity, |f_n(b)-f_m(b)| = lim |f_n(x)-f_m(x)| <= e.
Hence f_n(b) is Cauchy, thus converges.

Applying 1),2) above, you get:

If f_n is a sequence of continuous functions on [a,b] such that f_n -> f(x) uniformly on [a,b),
then f_n -> f(x) uniformly on [a,b]. (Where in the hypothesis, it is not assumed lim f_n(b) exists.)

(*note: f(b) is defined to be lim f_n(b), in the conclusion of the proof.)

Last edited:
thx much..:)

but after showing that lim f_n(b) exists(f_n Cauchy seq. at x=b)..

isn`t it necessary to show that the limit tends to f(b)=Σc_n b^n??

so |f_n(b)-f(b)| -> 0 as n-> infinity..?

You have [tex]f_n(b) = \sum_{i=0}^n c_i b^i[/tex] is a Cauchy sequence. By definition, [tex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty c_i b^i[/tex] is the limit of this sequence. So no, there's nothing to show.

In the above proof, I didn't assume lim f_n(b) existed. Once I showed it existed, of course we have to define f(b) = lim f_n(b). But in the case of power series, that is precisely what the definition of f(x) is.

Last edited:
Got it~! thanks very much for saving me!

1. What is the definition of uniform convergence of a function?

Uniform convergence of a function is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of functions. It means that the functions in the sequence approach a limiting function at a uniform rate, meaning that the difference between the values of the functions at any given point becomes smaller and smaller as the sequence continues.

2. What is the importance of uniform convergence in mathematical analysis?

Uniform convergence is important in mathematical analysis because it allows us to extend the properties of individual functions to their limiting functions. This means that we can use theorems and techniques from single functions to analyze the behavior of sequences of functions.

3. How is uniform convergence related to pointwise convergence?

Pointwise convergence describes the behavior of a sequence of functions at individual points, whereas uniform convergence describes the behavior of the entire sequence as a whole. Uniform convergence implies pointwise convergence, but the reverse is not always true.

4. What is the significance of the condition |x|<h in the statement of the theorem?

The condition |x|<h specifies the domain of the functions in the sequence. It ensures that the functions are defined on a closed interval, which is necessary for the theorem to hold true.

5. Can you give an example of a sequence of functions that satisfies the conditions of the theorem?

One example of a sequence of functions that satisfies the conditions of the theorem is the sequence f_n(x) = x^n on the interval |x|< 1. This sequence uniformly converges to the limiting function f(x) = 0 on the interval |x|<= 1.