Anybody not in the mood for christmas?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Christmas
In summary, the conversation discusses different perspectives on Christmas and its commercialization. One person believes that it is over-hyped by the media and just an excuse to boost the economy, while another enjoys the holiday for the spirit of giving and spending time with loved ones. They also mention the stress of buying presents and the pressure to conform to societal expectations. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the different ways people view and celebrate Christmas.
Benzoate
I think this holiday is over-the-top and hyped up by the media way too much. To me , christmas is just another excused to waste money on useless items that you will probably replaced the next time christmas comes around! To me christmas is no more different than Valentine's day : There all just another excuse to boost the economy. Not that I'm against practicing capitalism. But please see this holiday for what it is and its certainly not magical . There isn't anything magical about it capitalism at its peak. I The only people who will enjoy christmas the most are people under twelve. College students will also enjoy christmas the most because they get a month off to stray away from school for awhile to relax. I don't understand why people over 25 who don't have any children enjoy this holiday so much. You can be around family anytime of the year . In fact, I don't think I want to be around a lot of people in the winter; I want to stay in bed for awhile and not talk to anybody until their isn't an inch of snow left on the ground.

Physics news on Phys.org
Economy? What? No! Santa's elves make all the toys and he gives them away for free! Right? :uhh:

I enjoy Christmas, but not for the presents. It's fun for the festive decorations, and the gatherings of friends and family over big meals.

I love Christmas. For me it is all about the spirit of giving and a celebration of joy. And there is no doubt that Christmas can still make me feel like a kid, every now and then. I esp find this is true during those moments when I lose consciousness due to an OD of chocolate and egg nog.

Buying presents is a pain the butt, but in our family even the kids are outgrowing this guessing game and want gift certficates this year. And I do enjoy aspects of the commercial business, like buying my mentally retarded uncle something that he really wants but can't afford. Of course I can do this anytime, but Christmas is a time of year set aside to remind us all to do these things.

Last edited:
Benzoate said:
I think this holiday is over-the-top and hyped up by the media way too much. To me , christmas is just another excused to waste money on useless items that you will probably replaced the next time christmas comes around! To me christmas is no more different than Valentine's day : There all just another excuse to boost the economy. Not that I'm against practicing capitalism. But please see this holiday for what it is and its certainly not magical . There isn't anything magical about it capitalism at its peak. I The only people who will enjoy christmas the most are people under twelve. College students will also enjoy christmas the most because they get a month off to stray away from school for awhile to relax. I don't understand why people over 25 who don't have any children enjoy this holiday so much. You can be around family anytime of the year . In fact, I don't think I want to be around a lot of people in the winter; I want to stay in bed for awhile and not talk to anybody until their isn't an inch of snow left on the ground.

Couldn't have said it any better.

New Years Eve>>Christmas

What annoys me is that the radio stations and shoutcasts I listen to play Christmas songs constantly. God, I can't stand them.

rightly said, i don't know how people burn up so much of $$$ on festivals. and the worst, the media goes outta hands covering all this.
Maybe it better counts for the holidays one gets rather than the get together theme or something

Benzoate said:

My most concern for this Christmas as well as NewYear is about my girlfriend. I don't know if she will stay with me or with her ex husband, soooo I am not in a good mood at present. I don't know what way I can keep her for this special occasion.

I enjoy Christmas since it's the only time I get to see my old friends, nowadays. Since we've all moved off to different areas of the country to study/work I'm not in touch with my old friends from home that much; but Christmas is the one time that you can guarantee everyone will be around to meet and catch up.

Plus, this year's the first time in as many years as I can remember that I don't have exams in the first few weeks of january :biggrin:

Here in the United States, there are serious minded Christians who agonize over the secularization of a religious holiday. In japan, they celebrate the Christmas season almost exactly the same way we do except for this important difference. Christians only make up about 1% of the population. Very few people there even know what Christmas is. So there is none of the hand-wringing over there, the stores just put up decorations and blare Christmas carols and the people go shopping. If you get a chance, go to Japan during the Christmas season and see the exuberance without the guilt.

morphism said:
What annoys me is that the radio stations and shoutcasts I listen to play Christmas songs constantly. God, I can't stand them.

:uhh: Change the station?

That's an advantage of getting one's Christmas shopping done before Thanksgiving and finishing the rest online, you don't get overdosed on Christmas carols too soon before Christmas. I LOVE Christmas carols, but only start playing them the week of Christmas or else you get sick of them by the time Christmas comes along (any song you listen to too often will do that). Seriously, I think avoiding the malls all month long has me in a much better mood about Christmas. It feels more like the once-a-year treat it used to be rather than being all worn out by the time it arrives.

danged Puritans...

When the gol-danged Puritans took over Britain, they nuked ~53 holidays. That sick, sad, sober tradition followed its way over to the Colonies, later to become part of the Protestant Work Ethic thing we have over here.

Anyway, most cultures with a more sane approach have a lot of festivals. So they do not feel the need to go berserk when there is only one two two "joy breaks" per year.
I lived for a long time on the Santo Domingo Reservation. They have several fun festivals every year. Chrsitmas is important, but not like the whole year revolves around it, like it does a lot of other festival-deprived Americans.

So are you Christmas-dissers dang Puritans or just professional grumps :smile:

Christmas=Awsome food. Nuff said.

- Christmas is the season where most people spend the most money. In Europe and The United States, we are talking maybe thousands of billion of dollars.
- Suicide rates and depression increase manifold during the Christmas.
- Christmas makes people get more loans to pay for it.
- Business loose income and productivity over Christmas.

Is it really worth it?

i think a lot of families get together for christmas because so much of our culture tells them its important too. a lot of that culture is christmas movies talking about setting aside differences to experience the most wonderful time of the year, christmas o:). if you take out everything you see on movies, shows, adds and carols about christmas being an appropriate time to put up with your family and not hate your neighbors and get together with everyone you know, i don't think people would do it on their own.

i think in the tv culture, people need to be told when its appropriate to have a family reunion.

Moridin said:
- Christmas is the season where most people spend the most money. In Europe and The United States, we are talking maybe thousands of billion of dollars.
Yep, great for the economy. Lots of jobs open up in retail, restaurant and hospitality sectors this time of year, and a lot of people count on that seasonal work to make ends meet.
- Suicide rates and depression increase manifold during the Christmas.
With current understanding of Seasonal Affective Disorder, I wouldn't blame Christmas for this.

- Christmas makes people get more loans to pay for it.
:uhh: Christmas is a holiday, it doesn't make anyone do anything. :wink: There's no need to spend beyond one's means to enjoy the holiday.
- Business loose income and productivity over Christmas.
Huh? This is the time of year that makes or breaks the retail sector. Lots of businesses thrive on the holiday season (both Christmas and New Years celebrations).

Is it really worth it?
Absolutely! :biggrin:

Christmas isn't about being off work or spending tons of cash its about enjoying yourself and having a good time with family and friends that most people don't get to do a lot. Everyone must also remember christmas as a youngster how magical it felt. Its the best time of the year. The only people that don't like christmas are moany people that just look for an excuse to moan.

gutti said:
Christmas isn't about being off work or spending tons of cash its about enjoying yourself and having a good time with family and friends that most people don't get to do a lot. Everyone must also remember christmas as a youngster how magical it felt. Its the best time of the year. The only people that don't like christmas are moany people that just look for an excuse to moan.

You can spend time with family anytime of the year. Christmas will not dictate the kind of mood you are in. To me christmas comes around a time that's the most depressing for most people . Lack of exposure to light makes people depressed. Yes , I agree with you that christmas suited best for the naive youngsters who don't have a clue that the guy in the red suit putting presents under your tree is uncle bob in a fat suit. Summer the best time of the year and sadly the shortest time.

Funny, lots of light really bothers me. I just had to request that they remove half of the overhead flourescent lights over and near my cube. Some dolt ordered all the bulbs replaced with a higher wattage and the maintenance guy said he's been flooded with complaints ever since. I love gray, overcast skies.

It sounds like you have some deep disapointment in your life that you associate with the holiday. Most people that are troubled at this time of year usually have some unreasonable expectations associated with it.

Benzoate said:
You can spend time with family anytime of the year. Christmas will not dictate the kind of mood you are in. To me christmas comes around a time that's the most depressing for most people . Lack of exposure to light makes people depressed.
That's why you need a festival with lots of lights involved, so you get cheered up on those dreary days!

I thought the "Festival of Lights" was a Jewish tradition. :wink:

Evo said:
I thought the "Festival of Lights" was a Jewish tradition. :wink:

Actually, all the winter holidays have in common lights as part of their celebratory theme, everything from menorrahs to Christmas trees, to the Kwaanza candelabra thing (not sure what it's called) to bright stars in the sky, etc. I don't think it's any coincidence that a lot of holidays are celebrated around the solstice and all feature lights.

It's been absolutely miserable here the past couple weeks. It's bad enough that the days are getting so short, but we've had so much rain that it never gets much brighter than twilight all day long with the cloud cover blocking out what little sunlight we normally get. Ugh! I keep oversleeping in the morning because I can't even tell it's morning!

Oh no, you're another one of those people that like light. <shudder>

I love Christmas lights, because they're only turned on when it's dark. :approve:

My eyes are very sensitive to light, I can see very well in low light, bright light is actually painful.

Evo said:
Oh no, you're another one of those people that like light. <shudder>

I love Christmas lights, because they're only turned on when it's dark. :approve:

My eyes are very sensitive to light, I can see very well in low light, bright light is actually painful.

You'd get along with my sister and brother-in-law. It drives me NUTS when I visit them...they only have really dim lights in all the rooms, and the shades are always down so no sunlight gets in the house. I can't stand it, but they complain if I open the blinds to let the sunlight in. I HAVE to have big windows that let in lots of sunlight. I can't stand dim lighting, it's like living in a cave.

Evo said:
Funny, lots of light really bothers me. I just had to request that they remove half of the overhead flourescent lights over and near my cube. Some dolt ordered all the bulbs replaced with a higher wattage and the maintenance guy said he's been flooded with complaints ever since. I love gray, overcast skies.
I usually have half the lights on if I'm in an interior office, and I prefer lower light levels. Our main office has two sets of lights in each room, but since most offices have windows, I just use indirect sunlight. In my own office, I use the indirect sunlight and only turn on lights around sundown. I also find bright fluorescent lights irritating, but then I enjoy being out in the sun. In the wintertime, its nice to have overcast days, and in the mountains, it's nice to hike in the clouds.

As for me Christmas is like any other day. I tend not to spend much on gifts, and I prefer not to receive gifts.

While I do enjoy the company of friends and family, I prefer quiet holidays. Holidays for me are a time of personal reflection.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
I also find bright fluorescent lights irritating, but then I enjoy being out in the sun. In the wintertime, its nice to have overcast days, and in the mountains, it's nice to hike in the clouds.

Hmm...if you're talking specifically about fluorescent lights, I can understand that. I prefer sunlight or incandescent lighting. There's something really harsh about fluorescent lighting that can seem painful. But, if you're talking about bright light in general, then no, I can't really relate. I love things like HUGE picture windows that let in LOTS of sunlight. If there's enough sunlight coming in a window, I don't need any other lighting.

Moonbear said:
Hmm...if you're talking specifically about fluorescent lights, I can understand that. I prefer sunlight or incandescent lighting. There's something really harsh about fluorescent lighting that can seem painful. But, if you're talking about bright light in general, then no, I can't really relate. I love things like HUGE picture windows that let in LOTS of sunlight. If there's enough sunlight coming in a window, I don't need any other lighting.
When I'm working I prefer dimmer light. I used to buy engineering paper and notebooks with the green (Eye-eeze) paper, because the white paper was irritating.

I enjoy the outdoors in the sun or overcast. When I was very young, I'd spend days at the beach. While in school, I preferred working outdoors, especially contruction. I used to get very tan - like a dark bronze.

Like Evo, I see well in dim light and now tend to wear dark glasses outdoors when it is sunny, rather than squint. I prefer not to wear a cap with a visor.

I need sunglasses outside in summer, but not indoors. I can see well in dim light, but I don't like it. I think Evo was saying something different, that she prefers dim light not bright sunlight. My sister and brother-in-law are like that. Even growing up, my sister always had the blinds closed in her bedroom, and the walls were painted a very dark color, which made the room really dim. She'd sit in there with just a little lamp on. I'm the total opposite...throw open the blinds or bask in bright sunlight (with lots of sunscreen so I don't turn into a broiled lobster).

Moonbear said:
It's been absolutely miserable here the past couple weeks. It's bad enough that the days are getting so short, but we've had so much rain that it never gets much brighter than twilight all day long with the cloud cover blocking out what little sunlight we normally get. Ugh! I keep oversleeping in the morning because I can't even tell it's morning!
Tell me about it! I live in a "basement apartment", so I don't get much light by default. But lately it's gotten worse: it's been pretty cloudy, and I don't think I've seen the sun in a while (damn Canadian winter!). I'm one of those people who really need some light to wake up and function properly, so this is bad news for me. For example, instead of getting up at 11am today -- as I had intended -- I got up at 4pm. :bugeye: I actually did get up at 11, but it was so dark and cold that I saw no good in getting out of my comfy bed (or in interrupting my weird dream). I really didn't need the extra 5 hours of sleep. Now I'm going to stay up until 6am! Argh...

gutti said:

Geez, man. Not everyone is as happy as you are. Not everyone has family and friends to have a good time; or material possessions. Unfortunately, not everyone has the opportunity to sit around the dinner table with a warn meal and lots of family to have a good time. Christmas also brings up painful memories for some. What about the mother that lost her child in an accident? What does Christmas do to her?

It may not be the best (or one of the best) Xmas's this year--oh well--part of the reason is that I'm still not over that flu cold bug. Maybe it'll be gone in a week or two.

The highest wattage bulb that is usually on at my place is 15 watts. I have candelabra adapters in most of my lamps now with 7 to 10 watt'ers (night light bulbs) in them, but most of them are old antique lamps (leaded, art glass, and reversed painted). I really like the sun, but at night, I like the low lighting--as a side benefit, it really enhances the effects of the old lamp's shades.

I like the sun at night. :tongue2:

Evo said:
I like the sun at night. :tongue2:

that one's called--- 'A mun'

ranger said:
Christmas also brings up painful memories for some. What about the mother that lost her child in an accident? What does Christmas do to her?

The same thing any other day would do if it were the anniversary of her child's death.

Nobody's forcing anyone to celebrate it. If it's not your religion, or not your preference to celebrate it, or you just want to be left alone, then don't celebrate it. The movie theaters are still open on Christmas day, go see a movie with all the other people who don't celebrate the holiday.

I don't get it, people grouch about the day being so bad, but the degree of grouching makes me think they really do want to celebrate it, but for some reason are denying themselves all the fun. Either you don't consider it anything special, so should just treat the day like any other day, or you do want to celebrate it, in which case stop being so grumpy about it and just let loose and have fun.

that's one good thing about 'FUN' ---you can't use it up

my license plate in college was 'FUN 20' --('10-20' is police code for location)

Moonbear said:
Nobody's forcing anyone to celebrate it. If it's not your religion, or not your preference to celebrate it, or you just want to be left alone, then don't celebrate it. The movie theaters are still open on Christmas day, go see a movie with all the other people who don't celebrate the holiday.

I don't get it, people grouch about the day being so bad, but the degree of grouching makes me think they really do want to celebrate it, but for some reason are denying themselves all the fun. Either you don't consider it anything special, so should just treat the day like any other day, or you do want to celebrate it, in which case stop being so grumpy about it and just let loose and have fun.

I can't do this though. Everyone in my family says it's a selfish thing to do without realizing the irony in their statements. So I'm pretty much forced into celebrating it because I'll hurt everyones precious feelings if I don't.

Being an atheist is a hard life to live.