Maximizing Applied Math Electives: Balancing Double Major and Graduation Goals

In summary, it is not necessarily bad to start taking applied math courses in your junior and senior year while double majoring in physics and retaking abstract algebra in the fall of your junior year. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and to not force yourself to meet a specific deadline. It is also important to note that it is not abnormal to take six years to graduate, as each person's academic journey is unique.
Benzoate
Is it bad if you start taking your applied math elective courses in your junior and senior year, while double majoring in physics and retaking abstract algebra in the fall of your junior year?

Lets say you want to at least graduated in 2010

Physics news on Phys.org
Benzoate said:
Is it bad if you start taking your applied math elective courses in your junior and senior year, while double majoring in physics and retaking abstract algebra in the fall of your junior year?

Lets say you want to at least graduated in 2010

Let's say you just postpone graduation by one or two semesters. Be careful about trying too forcefully to use a time deadline.

symbolipoint said:
Let's say you just postpone graduation by one or two semesters. Be careful about trying too forcefully to use a time deadline.

I do not understand what you mean

Benzoate said:
I do not understand what you mean

I mean, take as much time as necessary to complete the courses that you want to successfully complete.

How long does it take most people to graduate? Is it abnormal to graduate in 6 years?

1. How many applied math electives should I take if I want to balance a double major and my graduation goals?

The number of applied math electives you should take depends on your specific double major and graduation goals. It's important to carefully plan out your course schedule and consult with academic advisors to determine the right balance for you.

2. Will taking more applied math electives delay my graduation?

This will vary for each individual and depends on factors such as course availability, course load, and credit requirements for your double major. It's important to carefully plan and prioritize your courses in order to graduate on time.

3. Can I use my applied math electives towards both my double major and graduation requirements?

In most cases, yes. Many applied math courses can count towards both your double major and general graduation requirements. However, it's important to check with your academic advisor to confirm this for your specific major and university.

4. Is it better to focus on completing my double major first or to take more applied math electives?

This will depend on your individual goals and priorities. Some students may want to prioritize completing their double major, while others may prioritize taking more applied math courses for future career goals. It's important to carefully consider your options and consult with academic advisors.

5. Will taking more applied math electives give me an advantage in graduate school or the job market?

Having a strong foundation in applied math can be beneficial for both graduate school and the job market. However, it's important to also have a well-rounded education and develop skills in other areas as well. Balance is key, so carefully consider your goals and choose electives that align with them.