Conservation of energy gone for a six?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy stored in a capacitor and how it is affected by changes in distance between the plates. The energy is calculated using the capacitance, charge, and voltage of the capacitor. It is also compared to the potential energy of a raised stone. The conversation concludes that an external agent is needed to keep the plates of the capacitor apart, similar to a rope keeping a rock suspended. Removing this agent results in a decrease in energy stored.
manjuvenamma
Let us charge a capacitor and disconnect it from the battery. Let the capacitance, charge and voltage of the capacitor be C, Q and V respectively. Now do some work and reduce the distance of the plates of the capacitor and make it half of the original distance. What are the energies stored in the capacitor before and after the reduction of distance? The energies can be calculated as square(Q)/2C and square(Q)/4C respectively. Where has the energy gone from the capacitor?

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy was dissipated by whatever brought the plates together. Note that the plates are oppositely charged, thus one must do negative work to bring the plates together.

A similar situation can be had with gravity by lowering an object. The energy decreases. Where did it go?

You must be right. But I think I am missing a point.
Whien a stone is raised to a point, it has potential energy. If leave it there, it comes down.
If charge a capacitor, leave the plates as they are, they don't come closer on their own. Does the system do any work to bring the plates closer, or an external agency shoud do work?
Sorry, for the basic nature of my question. But I can't help asking, to convince myself.

manjuvenamma said:
If charge a capacitor, leave the plates as they are, they don't come closer on their own.
Think about this more carefully in the context of your question. What does Coulomb's law suggest about the force between the plates?

manjuvenamma said:
You must be right. But I think I am missing a point.
Whien a stone is raised to a point, it has potential energy. If leave it there, it comes down.
If charge a capacitor, leave the plates as they are, they don't come closer on their own.
The plates don't come closer on their own because something (nonconducting spacers or some other physical constraint) is preventing that from happening. The exact same situation applies to the rock. Tie a rock to a rope, suspend the rock via a pulley, and tie the free end of the rope to some anchor. Voila, the rock is suspended above the ground with some energy proportional to the height of the rock. Now untie the rope from the anchor, lower the rock halfway to the ground, and retie the rope to the anchor. Has conservation of energy taken a six here? Of course not. You let the rock do work.

Back to the original problem. Just as the rope is needed to keep the rock from falling to the ground, some agent is needed to keep the plates of the capacitor apart. Suppose that agent is a number of nonconducting Hookean springs. Removing half of the springs will half the distance between the plates. Where did the energy go? You took it away by removing the springs.

Great, thanks, my mind is clear now. I understand it now.

1. What does "Conservation of energy gone for a six" mean?

"Conservation of energy gone for a six" is a colloquial phrase that refers to the violation of the law of conservation of energy. This law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In this context, it means that energy has been lost or wasted without being accounted for.

2. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to everyday life?

The law of conservation of energy applies to all forms of energy, including mechanical, thermal, electrical, and chemical energy. It means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time. This is why we need to be mindful of our energy usage and try to reduce waste, as it cannot be recovered once it is lost.

3. What are some examples of "Conservation of energy gone for a six"?

Some examples of "conservation of energy gone for a six" include leaving lights or electronic devices on when not in use, using more energy than necessary for daily tasks, and inefficient use of transportation or heating and cooling systems. These actions waste energy and contribute to the depletion of natural resources.

4. What are the consequences of violating the law of conservation of energy?

Violating the law of conservation of energy can have various consequences, including environmental damage, depletion of natural resources, and increased energy costs. It can also lead to a decrease in the overall efficiency and sustainability of systems, as well as contribute to climate change.

5. How can we prevent "Conservation of energy gone for a six"?

We can prevent "conservation of energy gone for a six" by being mindful of our energy usage and taking steps to reduce waste. This can include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances and transportation, and choosing renewable energy sources. It is also essential to educate others about the importance of energy conservation and the consequences of violating the law of conservation of energy.