Little project - rechargeable pocket heater?

In summary, the author was looking for information on how to make a pocket heater that uses rechargeable batteries, and was told that resistors produce heat. He also found out that a 200mA resistor can provide 1 watt of power, and that the battery packs for the electrically heated vest would last for several hours.
RagingPineapple
I work outside, and have absolutely no circulation in my hands. And I like hair-brained schemes.

So with these things in mind, I thought I might have a crack at making a little rechargeable pocket heater. Unfortunately, I know very very little about actual electrics. But hey, that's what makes hair-brained schemes more interesting isn't it? :P

Anyways, I was wondering, how would I go about getting something nice and warm using some rechargeable batteries? I've heard that resistors produce heat as a result of, well, resisting. But I don't know how much? Could one warm one's hands if one made a circuit full of resistors (and maybe a little LED so you know when the batteries are dead or dying)?

Would the batteries die too soon for this to be a realistic option? What would you suggest? I'm loath to get one of those annoying heat pack things as I find they only last about half an hour, or get *too* hot (one virtue of an electrical appliance - it has an off button).

Engineering news on Phys.org
RagingPineapple said:
Would the batteries die too soon for this to be a realistic option?

Yes, this is why hand-warmers tend to use "direct" chemical reactions instead. There simply isn't enough energy in a small battery for electric heating to be useful (unless you are willing to carry around a car battery).

You can buy battery heated socks that just use a D cell.
Otherise 4 AA rechargeables should give you 5V and around 1000mAH of capacity.
Assume you want power for say 5Hours you can take 200mA.
R=V/I so 5/0.2 = 50 Ohm resistor Power = I V = 0.2 * 5 = 1 Watt

Probably not worth it even inside gloves, of course you can just half the resistor to give twice the power for half the time, I probably wouldn't use more than 400mA - you risk damaging the batteries.

W bought me an electrically heated vest for Xmas. It uses two battery packs of 4 AA cells each (individually switchable), gets nicely warm, and goes for several hours. The heating elements appear to be high-resistance wires that are looped up and down through the fabric, but I'm not going to take it apart to check for specifics.

1. What is a rechargeable pocket heater?

A rechargeable pocket heater is a small, portable device that uses electricity to generate heat. It is designed to fit in your pocket, making it easy to carry with you and use whenever you need a source of warmth.

2. How does a rechargeable pocket heater work?

A rechargeable pocket heater uses a rechargeable battery to power a heating element. When turned on, the heating element heats up and transfers heat to the surrounding air, creating a warm and comfortable environment.

3. What are the benefits of using a rechargeable pocket heater?

Rechargeable pocket heaters offer several benefits, including portability, convenience, and energy efficiency. They can provide a source of heat anytime and anywhere, without the need for a power outlet or disposable batteries.

4. Are rechargeable pocket heaters safe to use?

Yes, rechargeable pocket heaters are generally safe to use. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use caution when handling the device, as it does generate heat. It is also important to use a reputable brand and avoid leaving the heater unattended while in use.

5. How long does a rechargeable pocket heater last?

The duration of a rechargeable pocket heater's battery life varies depending on the model and usage, but most can last for several hours on a single charge. Some models also have adjustable heat settings, which can prolong the battery life. It is recommended to fully charge the heater before each use for optimal performance.